You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-25 04:28:22

nebri

cant get sound out of gstreamer apps

Hey Gang,

well I ran through the alsa wiki pages, the pulseaduio wiki pages and sound works great for everything.

except for gstreamer. I'm running the gnome desktop enviorment, and everything that uses gstreamer doesnt get any sound output at all.

Now I've gone and installed the gstreamer plugins, they're all in. youtube and other flash player sounds work, VLC player works, games work, everything except gstreamer.

Any ideas?

#2 2009-04-25 16:57:56

Nezmer
Website

Re: cant get sound out of gstreamer apps

If you have gnome-media installed , just run gstreamer-properties and you will have the options to change input/output modules .

English is not my native language .

#3 2009-04-26 18:25:20

nebri

Nezmer wrote:

If you have gnome-media installed , just run gstreamer-properties and you will have the options to change input/output modules .

I've done this, I even hit the test and I can hear the high-pitched beep without a problem. Yet no applications that use gstreamer willl output any sound.

It's not that I'm missing codecs, because simply put other media players that do not use gstreamer can play the media properly and I can hear it.

#4 2009-04-26 20:28:05

skottish
Forum Fellow

nebri wrote:

It's not that I'm missing codecs, because simply put other media players that do not use gstreamer can play the media properly and I can hear it.

gstreamer doesn't use any of the codecs that other applications do. You have to install more than just gstreamer to get things to work. Check out pacman -Ss gstreamer for all of the goodies if you haven't yet.

#5 2009-04-26 21:44:37

nebri

skottish wrote:
nebri wrote:

gstreamer doesn't use any of the codecs that other applications do. You have to install more than just gstreamer to get things to work. Check out pacman -Ss gstreamer for all of the goodies if you haven't yet.

I've already installed the gstreamer-plugins group which I figured would have done the job as it seems to do it for most others. But I'm still not hearing a single thing from gstreamer apps :s.

#6 2009-04-28 03:54:11

nebri

Alright out of a bit of frustration I decided to completely remove pulseaudio. Once I did that every sound in the system including gstreamer is working flawlessly. Right now i'm not missing pulseaudio so intill I do I won't bother with it.

#7 2009-04-28 04:16:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Just to comment, in community there's a package gstreamer0.10-pulse which is needed if you want to use gstreamer with pulse. It is not a member of gstreamer0.10-plugins, so it would not have been installed as part of that group. Installing that package would most likely solve everything.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2009-04-28 14:18:41

nebri

I had that installed when I was running through the pulse audio config on the wiki. I have no idea where I went wrong :S. Perhaps at a future date I'll find the need for it, but so far I've got multiple sounds coming from alsa alone, and I'm quite happy with it.

Board footer