You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-26 11:00:38

GnuBoi

Offline Installing

Guys, the only thing preventing me from installing archlinux is that i don't have a fast internet connection but have a fast connection in my dad's computer where there is windows. I cannot download almost any big size files in dad computer's but not mine. so is there any way for downloading all things needed for a complete KDE desktop in dad's comp and installing in mine....
But for update i think my comp's internet connection will work as i hope so...

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
GnuBoi

#2 2009-04-26 11:18:53

lucke

Re: Offline Installing

Yeah.  pacman -Sp kde will print a list of URIs with all the KDE packages and their dependencies, you can download those packages on dad's PC and then copy them to your /var/cache/pacman/pkg.

#3 2009-04-26 12:02:16

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

GnuBoi wrote:

Guys, the only thing preventing me from installing archlinux is that i don't have a fast internet connection but have a fast connection in my dad's computer where there is windows. I cannot download almost any big size files in dad computer's but not mine.

I'm confused.  Your dad's Windows PC has a fast connection, but your PC does not.  You have physical access to your dad's PC?  Can you simply bring your PC to your dad's house, hook it up to his fast connection and get what you need?  Does your dad have a router at his house?  I don't see how you'll get all the kde deps from a windows machine unless you're manually downloading them which will be brutal in the http interface since there are so many of them.

Last edited by graysky (2009-04-26 12:03:15)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2009-04-26 12:06:44

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yeah, I'd suggest some temporary networking arrangement too. You cna do it lucke's way, or along those lines, but it will be a hassle. IMO you really need to be online when you're installing Arch and config'ing it for the first time.

#5 2009-04-26 12:19:12

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I can tell you keeping Arch in sync over a crappy connection is quite the pain (and prepare to have a lot of updates - if you sync once a month you can easily have like 400 MB or more). If your dad's box has a fat pipe, and you live in the same building, why not share it behind a router or switch?

My mom is on a horribly capped cable line (a few kbps, even surfing goes slow) and I always update her box with the packages I pulled in at my place (after checking which updates she needs for her box). But it's a hassle...

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer