You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-28 18:06:42

loudtiger

keyboard problems in xorg/gnome

has anyone noticed any weird keyboard behavior recently? i just updated everything last night and started getting crazy keyboard actions. the layout is correct, but my typing is really garbled. letters appear out of order or keypresses are skipped over. typing is fine in the console before i start the x server. does this have anything to do with evdev and the new xorg?

i've tried to reset all the options in the gnome keyboard settings panel (reset to defaults) along with changing it to a keyboard that should be mine (Dell Latitude keyboard). No difference. I have AutoAddDevices = false in my xorg, so it should be using the kbd driver, right?

not being able to type is a pretty big deal!

#2 2009-04-28 18:38:59

loudtiger

Re: keyboard problems in xorg/gnome

got rid of my xorg.conf and left it only with the section for nvidia. using hotplugging seems to work, for once, on this laptop! i'll mark this solved as soon as i test some more.

#3 2009-05-01 20:59:52

korpenkraxar

Hi loudtiger!

I seem to have a similar problem on my Thinkpad W500. This laptop has two GPUs, a simple Intel one and a more powerful Radeon chip. I switched to the latter a week ago since the latest Intel driver is pretty unstable atm. Since a few days I at random occasions get very weird behaviour from my keyboard at times. Every now and then, at least a couple a times a day, these two things happen: i) the Ctrl-key behaves as if it is pressed down so that all normal keys become "Ctrl+" function keys (as far as I can see the Ctrl-key is not physically stuck but X somehow thinks it is) or ii) the mapping gets completely borked and most keys produce funny german or other special symbols.

Does this sound like something you recognize?

#4 2009-05-02 07:17:24

korpenkraxar

Hmm, well, my problem was KDE related. Somehow the "Sticky keys" modifier had gotten checked in KDE. Turning it off in Systemsettings->Accessibility seems to fix it. I have truly no idea how that one got checked or had any indication it was...

#5 2009-05-02 18:17:48

mandog

I've had the same on my desktop the long keytabs had been ticked all on its own I'm on Gnoome

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

Board footer