You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-28 21:40:48

KitchM

Amarok 1.4 Recovery

This was blocked from being posted in the relevant area, but I wanted to make sure others knew of the steps I took to solve the problem.  This is one method, and it worked for me.

After the re-installation of the old version and trying to start it, it would seem like it was starting and display the splash screen for a split second.  But then nothing would happen.

After un-installing everything relating to the name Amarok yet again, the upgrade system kept trying to install the 2.x version again.  That implied that something was left behind, but it wasn't in the database listings.

I decided that I would try to install the 1.4 version listings, and got a number of problems stating that various component parts were already existing.  I then un-installed all items once again.

For whatever reason, I had to go back thru the database listings and look for more Amarok items.  On the second time checking thru it, another item popped up on the list that said it was installed.  I un-installed it, and finally the list showed that there was nothing else installed, and also nothing to upgrade.  That would appear to be the key.

I then looked thru the listing and found the item entitled "kdemod3-amarok".  That installed just fine, and it even recovered my old settings.  Very cool!  Thank you Chakra Project!

So, anyway, if you wish to switch back to a familiar and stable version of Amarok that has all the features it was designed to have and is working fine for you right now, then just follow these simple steps:

First, make sure there is absolutely nothing even remotely related to the word "Amarok" anywhere in the pacman database system.

Second, check that a couple more times; perhaps using an interface like Shaman (thanks, Shaman guys; very cool and darn handy too!).

Third, install the version from KDE-Mod.

That should do it; at least until the new program recoding stabilizes and all the features we have come to love are put back in.  I'm sure its going to be great when its finally finished.  But until then......

I must say that it is so great to have my music working again!

Good luck to all.

"Remember, I'm pulling for you.  We're all in this together." - Red Green

#2 2009-04-28 22:35:12

firecat53
Website

Re: Amarok 1.4 Recovery

There is also the amarok1 package in the AUR. Worked perfectly for me.

Scott

Board footer