You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-30 12:47:35

keratos

[SOLVED] glxgears for 2d & 3d benchmarking?

Read on these forums that glxgears is not a comprehensive test that adequately excercises the graphics subsystem.

However at the same time I note a significant number of members quoting glxperformance performance increases/decreases under KMS,X,Intel driver,UXA/EXA/XAA.

Can someone with authority explain (without using webpage links) whether glxinfo is a suitable benchmark, or not. If not, then what is?

Thanks.

Last edited by keratos (2009-05-03 22:05:34)

#2 2009-04-30 13:06:00

lycaeum

Re: [SOLVED] glxgears for 2d & 3d benchmarking?

keratos wrote:

Read on these forums that glxgears is not a comprehensive test that adequately excercises the graphics subsystem.

However at the same time I note a significant number of members quoting glxperformance performance increases/decreases under KMS,X,Intel driver,UXA/EXA/XAA.

Can someone with authority explain (without using webpage links) whether glxinfo is a suitable benchmark, or not. If not, then what is?

Thanks.

LOL, i don't seem to fit in the "authority" category wink , but it's something like this:

GLXgears is not a benchmark. benchmarks should rely on multiple tests of individual features of gpu, and then put the numbers togheter in order to make a final parameter of general performance.

GLXgears is, however,  widely used as a parameter for video performance due to a long time tradition of linux 3d measuring, since for a long time there wasn't almost any other way of doing this on xorg.

So, in newbie language, GLXgears is not a benchmark but it's a performance parameter.

Last edited by lycaeum (2009-04-30 13:09:01)

Arch Linux X86_64 (Pure 64bits Blend)
Kernel 2.6.29.3 w/ KMS and ext4fs -
Xorg 1.6.1 w/UXA - Gnome 2.26.1 - compiz 0.8.2

#3 2009-04-30 16:09:03

keratos

In my mind, a benchmark = a set of performance parameters. Thus glxgears is one of many parameter values required to benchmark a system.

Can you recommend a benchmark app for a modern arch install please?

The reason I seek such an app is because I am evaluating the performance of intel X driver and kernel KMS with certain X server settings and acceleration methods. Strangely, glxgears reports significantly lower values with more "modern" configurations. I am presuming that this is a parameter value drop but overall a benchmarked system would repoert higher performance. This presumption needs to be asserted as true or false.

Thanks

#4 2009-04-30 16:37:35

mutlu_inek

keratos wrote:

Can you recommend a benchmark app for a modern arch install please?

Install phoronix-test-suite and use its X11 related tests, e.g. qgears2, render-bench and x11perf.

#5 2009-04-30 20:17:59

keratos

installed it from arch repos (pacman) however

when I run phoronix-test-suite, nothing happens, just returns immediately to the command prompt.

tried installing source from phoronix website. this was slightly better as now the '.. list-suites' reports all the tests correctly. However, whatever test I run it wants to download lots of tests but each time I get the error:

Downloading File: trislam.tar.gz

No downloading application available.
The MD5 check-sum of the downloaded file is incorrect.

Download of Needed Test Dependencies Failed! Exiting.

Installation of trislam test failed.

trislam.tar.gz is one of the files that fails...there are many more!

ideas?

#6 2009-04-30 20:59:07

mutlu_inek

The one from the arch repos works more or less well. I just double-checked and the trislam test installs without problems.

phoronix-test-suite install x-testing

should get you all you need. It will probably ask for qt4, just give a false password, since qt (which I presume you have installed) provides for it, only the test suite isn't aware. I hope this will be patched some time, but isn't really a problem.

#7 2009-04-30 21:15:21

stefanwilkens

Why glxgears is slower with Kernel Modesetting (and why it doesn't matter)
or: "glxgears is not a 3d benchmark"

http://qa-rockstar.livejournal.com/7869.html

As for useful benchmarking, there is also mesa-demos and FBENCH.

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#8 2009-05-01 05:56:22

keratos

mutlu_inek wrote:

The one from the arch repos works more or less well. I just double-checked and the trislam test installs without problems.

phoronix-test-suite install x-testing

should get you all you need. It will probably ask for qt4, just give a false password, since qt (which I presume you have installed) provides for it, only the test suite isn't aware. I hope this will be patched some time, but isn't really a problem.

please read my post above yours:
here is the FULL output:

# ./phoronix-test-suite install x-testing                                                                                               
Checking For Needed External Dependencies.                                                     

=====================================================
OpenGL Utility Kit / GLUT                            
Possible Package Names: freeglut3-dev, freeglut-devel
=====================================================

The above dependencies should be installed before proceeding. Press any key when you're ready to continue.                                                                                    

====================================
Compiler / Development Libraries                                                               
Possible Package Names: gcc                                                                    

The above dependencies should be installed before proceeding. Press any key when you're ready to continue.                                                                                    

============================================================                                   
X.Org Development Files and Libraries                                                          
Possible Package Names: xserver-xorg-development, xorg-devel                                   

=======================================                                                        
Support For PERL Language                                                                      
Possible Package Names: perl, perl-base                                                        
=======================================                                                        

=======================================================                                        
OpenGL Support For PERL Language                                                               
Possible Package Names: perl-opengl, perl-OpenGL-Simple                                        
=======================================================                                        

=====================================                                                          
Imlib2 Development Files                                                                       
Possible Package Names: libimlib2-dev                                                          
=====================================                                                          

X.Org Development Files and Libraries                                                          
Possible Package Names: xserver-xorg-development, xorg-devel                                   

===========================================================
Qt4 Development Files
Possible Package Names: libqt4-dev, libqt4-devel, qt4-devel
===========================================================

4 Tests To Be Installed
Estimated Download Size: 0.78 MB
Estimated Install Size: 3.12 MB

Already Installed: 2d-test

Downloading Files For: x11perf
Estimated Download Size: 0.13 MB

Downloading File: x11perf-1.5.tar.bz2

Would you like to try downloading the file again (Y/n)? y

Downloading File: x11perf-1.5.tar.bz2

Would you like to try downloading the file again (Y/n)? ^C
#

#9 2009-05-01 07:38:17

mutlu_inek

Hmm... I don't get those errors. But I found this thread, maybe it helps: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=515816

#10 2009-05-01 09:39:26

keratos

Nope. Cannot get it working although I have to say I am not a PHP nor coding expert - nor do I wish to be - I just want something that works , Simple!

I recall the Arch mantra was "Keep it simple" !!!

Can anyone pleae point me to something in arch that we can use as a working metrics/benchmark tool.

SuSE Ubuntu Fedora even Gentoo all have working packages. I've used them !

#11 2009-05-02 10:59:43

vit

Have you edited php.ini as it said on phoronix install?

#12 2009-05-02 21:41:09

keratos

vit wrote:

??
not sure how that post is supposed to offer a solution!

? how about elaboarting and providing some form of link or instruction?

what is not clear is why a package that is available from the repos, needs to be tweaked. how bizzare

#13 2009-05-03 02:14:51

mutlu_inek

keratos wrote:
vit wrote:

??
not sure how that post is supposed to offer a solution!

? how about elaboarting and providing some form of link or instruction?

what is not clear is why a package that is available from the repos, needs to be tweaked. how bizzare

No, it is not bizarre. This isn't Ubuntu, nor Debian. KISS does not mean that it works magically. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

I checked quickly, the .install file of the phoronix-test-suite package looks like this:

post_install() {
  echo ">>>"
  echo ">>> To complete the installation you should edit /etc/php/php.ini."
  echo ">>> Add / to the open_basedir list."
  echo ">>>"
  echo ">>> EXAMPLE:"
  echo ">>> open_basedir = /srv/http/:/home/:/tmp/:/usr/share/pear/:/"
  echo ">>>"
  echo ">>> To enable the GUI make sure you install php-gtk from aur"
}

I.e. instructions were given at install time; this is fairly common.

#14 2009-05-03 09:47:48

keratos

One has used *nix since 1979 and confess to being a novice linux admin since good olde RHv1 ! in my view , this IS bizzare - a package management system and repository that requires user intervention to configure the system post-install. Not seen that before! Nevertheless, I shall try your kind suggestion and report back.

EDIT:
------
apologies. dumb me. this is the php init file and for security reasons the root fs is not enabled by default.

you are of course, correct.

sorry

Last edited by keratos (2009-05-03 09:50:14)

#15 2009-05-03 18:55:55

mutlu_inek

I get your point, though. If it required user intervention post-install for not security related things, it would certainly be a bug.

#16 2009-05-03 22:06:22

keratos

agreed. closing thread now. thanks for the assistance.

Board footer