You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-30 21:51:58

Ranguvar

Trying to own a logical volume!

Okay... most of my system is running off of LVM2. I have an LVM2 partition that I've encrypted with LUKS (cryptsetup). I'd like to be able to tie this to one specific user (me!), so that I can use cryptsetup to mount it with a passphrase AFTER I've booted, whenever I feel like it, mount it, and unmount it. Having the partition automatically mount when I activate it with cryptsetup would also be nice, but that's just a bonus.

Right now, I think what I have to do is use Udev rules (blech) to give my user control of the LVM2 partition (/dev/remaine/notahome, aka /dev/mapper/remaine-notahome), instead of root. From there I think I can use cryptsetup as a user to do luksOpen, and I'd like to ONLY be able to mount it as my one specific user... not sure how to do this part (well, or the Udev part). fstab lets me set the user option to allow mounting and umounting by users, but I'd like to make it so that only one specific user can mount that device. Would I need to use HAL to set this up? uid, gid, and umask don't work. They only work for vfat/ntfs filesystems. There's also the owner option, which might do what I want once I have the actual unmounted device owned by me, I think...

Thanks for any information on either piece smile If there's one thing about GNU/Linux I really hate, it's Udev/HAL/mounting (not necessarily the concept of mounting, just.... grr.)

Last edited by Ranguvar (2009-04-30 21:53:21)

Board footer