You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-01 23:06:11

peabrain

HTTP traffic halts

If I try to open up a web page that can't be reached, very often (though not always) it happens that all of my WWW traffic halts. There's no difference if I try to open a new tab, use the current tab, open a new browser window... in any case I can't get anywhere. I can try with a different browser, and the problem still persist. Pressing the stop button to stop loading the problematic site makes no difference.

The only thing I can do is to close all browser windows and just wait. The time it takes for HTTP to work again varies (hardly ever over 1 minute).

At the same time I can still get a network access for example with an email program and there's no problems with other computers in the LAN. So I guess it's not a hardware issue. Could this have something to do with HTTP port?

I'm using Firefox 3.

An example:

Just a moment ago I was trying to load a web page with a video. mplayer plugin tried to open it, but nothing happened, no timeout, no error (the video file url was ht tp://some.address.com:80/somefile.avi so it was HTTP again) . When I opened a new tab it wouldn't go anywhere. I had to close the browser and wait for about 15 seconds.

Last edited by peabrain (2009-05-01 23:21:14)

#2 2009-05-02 09:35:02

daf666
Website

Re: HTTP traffic halts

1. at the time of those problems, do you have a ping to the site? for example, if u cant reach www.google.com what does 'ping www.google.com' give you?
2. when this occurs is there a process that takes a large amount of CPU? test with top (press 'p').
3. install a textual browser like links/lynx and when the problem happens with FF, try with those.

Board footer