You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-02 09:49:18

jaydoc

[Solved] Maitreya's dream AUR Package

Hi all - first off, I didn't know where else to ask for help about unsupported software, which is why I am posting in this subforum. I know that I might need to ask the author of the program about this, but just in case someone here could help out on this....

I am trying to install a software called Maitreya's Dream. The program requires wxwidgets for successful compilation. For that I installed wxgtk from extra. It also needs a special font, for which I have copied the needed font into the /usr/share/fonts/TTF and done a fc-cache -f -v. The installation instructions were...

./configure
make
and to start the program by going to src/gui and typing
./maitreya

Though ./configure and make seemed to go without problems, i could not start the program after cding to src/gui and trying ./maitreya - instead I got this error.

Fatal Error: stat failed, errno is 2.

I googled and found this in the Ubuntu forums. according to this page i got that error because wxwidgets(wxgtk) does not have unicode.

But how can I find out whether the extra wxgtk package has unicode support or not...?

I would really like to get this software working because it would remove the last need for me to have wine installed on my Arch64 system.

thanks for any replies.

Last edited by jaydoc (2009-05-03 20:39:48)

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#2 2009-05-02 10:17:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Maitreya's dream AUR Package

jaydoc wrote:

But how can I find out whether the extra wxgtk package has unicode support or not...?

Have a look at the PKGBUILD in the ARCH svn repo.

When you have solved that problem, you should consider creating an Arch package for maitreya, instead of installing from source. All relevant information is in the wiki.

#3 2009-05-02 23:30:55

jaydoc

@tomk...

I looked into the PKGBUILD using abs, and wxgtk is indeed compiled with unicode support.  So the problem must be something else - and I don't have a clue as to what it could be.

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#4 2009-05-03 09:08:15

tomk
Forum Fellow

Contact the developer then - there's a mail address on the site.

#5 2009-05-03 09:57:00

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

i tried making a PKGBUILD for 30 minutes, then gave up because make install would always try to place a symbolic link directly in /usr/local/bin instead of the package dir...

anyways - as far as i understand from that ubuntu forums page, the problem isn't unicode support but placing the font file in /usr/share/fonts/truetype like it says in their install message, then regenerating the fonts cache.

offtopic question - their Makefile includes a line saying "ln -s .../bin/program /usr/local/bin/program". In the PKGBUILD, I had a working sed line (after ./configure) to replace /usr/local/bin with the correct path in the pkgdir, but running "make install" would always revert the Makefile to the previous state.
WTF.. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by schuay (2009-05-03 09:59:42)

#6 2009-05-03 11:21:59

tomk
Forum Fellow

No offense, but you're probably doing something wrong. smile

Post your PKGBUILD, I'm sure someone will spot the problem.

#7 2009-05-03 11:51:39

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

ok seems like i fixed it. this pkgbuild works for me on x86_64:

PKGBUILD

pkgname=maitreya
pkgver=5.0.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A free software for Vedic and western astrology"
arch=(i686 x86_64)
license=('Artistic')
url="http://www.saravali.de/maitreya/index.html"
depends=('wxgtk')
source=(http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/$pkgname/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
install=maitreya.install

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver

#fix symbolic link creation
  sed -i "s#\${prefix}/maitreya/maitreya#${pkgdir}/usr/maitreya/maitreya#g" Makefile.am || return 1
  sed -i "s#/usr/local/bin#${pkgdir}/usr/bin#g" Makefile.am || return 1

#create directory for symbolic link
  mkdir -p $pkgdir/usr/bin/

#configure && make
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1

#move font
  mkdir -p $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/truetype
  mv $pkgdir/usr/maitreya/fonts/MaitreyaSymbols.ttf $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/truetype/
}

maitreya.install

# arg 1:  the new package version
post_install() {
        /usr/bin/fc-cache -f -v
}

# arg 1:  the new package version
# arg 2:  the old package version
post_upgrade() {
  post_install $1
}

op=$1
shift
$op $*

to install, save the code fragments in a directory as PKGBUILD and maitreya.install and run "makepkg -cis".
if i'm doing something stupid in the PKGBUILD please tell me smile

edit: added to AUR http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26194
if somebody that actually uses this would like to maintain the package just tell me and i'll orphan it

Last edited by schuay (2009-05-03 13:01:18)

#8 2009-05-03 14:36:35

jaydoc

@schuay and tomk...

Thank you so much for this. The package in AUR builds and works absolutely fine. I have added my vote to it. I would very much like to see this in community because as far as I know this is the only full-fledged Vedic/Western astrology software for linux in existence.

What would maintaining the package entail...? I would like to help, but I can't do much more than keeping a watch about the program's updates and making corrections if needed to the PKGBUILD, provided it is not anything 'big':) - so I guess I won't be of any use for this:(

Board footer