You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-02 10:02:57

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

plymouth

Hi everyone. Over the past few days I've been trying to get plymouth from fedora to work on Arch. I've made substantial progress, largely thanks to kujub et al working on fbsplash. Here is the initial package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26117.
I've run into some difficulties with Arch's init system so I thought I'd post here for advice. First of all, plymouth requires /dev/pts to be mounted early on for boot message logging to work. While mounting it is possible, kinit doesn't like it when it tries to mount the root fs. I've considered patching or forking kinit but I'm not sure whether it's worth it when alternatives like fbsplash seem to be working just fine. Another problem I've had is that the splash screen freezes for some reason just before the daemons are started. I imagine that this has something to do with my functions script being sourced in /etc/rc.multi but haven't been able to track down the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I just realised the daemons starting issue is probably the same as the CONSOLEFONT thing in fbsplash, even though I don't have CONSOLEFONT set it should probably be something similar that i'll check out soon.

Last edited by PirateJonno (2009-05-02 11:32:14)

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

Board footer