You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-02 17:25:09

Andrade

Windows 7 and Arch (GRUB problem)

Hello I'm a new user in Arch and almost new in linux (well i need to work at university with linux so i'm not such a newb). I was using Windows 7 for a while and i installed Arch linux for programming. Everything installed very well and i really like Arch linux. But there is one problem, when GRUB boots i can choose between Arch and Windows and while i boot Arch everything is Ok, but the problem is when i boot Windows and it disables my GRUB (GRUB is installed in boot partition 200mb) well not disables, but just takes of Boot option (flag?) from boot partition and GRUB doesn't loads. so all the time after Windows usage i must run cfdisk and make boot partition bootable and remove root from windows.
   Maybe anyone knos how to solve this problem or they have encountered such problem and fixed it. 
   If u need any code from GRUB say i will post it later, now i need to finish program in Windows.

P.S.  i have surfed/serached forum for few days about such problem and found nothing... (maybe i'm blind?)

#2 2009-05-02 17:37:42

Anikom15
Banned
Website

Re: Windows 7 and Arch (GRUB problem)

First off: You're in a school. I would expect some better grammar.

Secondly: You should always install Windows first, but I think windows 7 isn't even released yet, so I don't think your problem is going to be easily fixed.

EDIT: Geez, I was just trying to prove a point.

Last edited by Anikom15 (2009-05-02 18:15:35)

Personally, I'd rather be back in Hobbiton.

#3 2009-05-02 17:48:30

capnmoney
Website

Anikom15 wrote:

First off: Your in a school, I would expect some better grammar.

Secondly: You should always install Windows first, but I think windows 7 isn't even released yet, so I don't think your problem is going to be easily fixed.

Your in school...

#4 2009-05-02 17:49:13

bangkok_manouel

Anikom15 wrote:

First off: Your in a school, I would expect some better grammar.

Anikom15 wrote:

First off: Your in a school, I would expect

Anikom15 wrote:

First off: Your in a school

Anikom15 wrote:

First off: Your

QFT

#5 2009-05-02 18:44:33

Andrade

Firstly, normal people (atleast those i have communicated) don't critisize for grammar mistakes because everyone makes such mistakes. Second i prefer my mother langue more than other and i don't even bothered to learn english like i learned lithuanian langue.
Secondly, yeah if you would read news about computing and etc. you should know that there isn't full windows 7 there is windows 7 BETA, well i personally just forgot that work(mistake maybe? or i prefer not to say beta words with programm because i work mostly with beta programms).
  And yeah Windows 7 was first installed (doh, if you would think more that fact would be clear because i wrote "I WAS using Windos 7 for a while..."

#6 2009-05-02 20:07:45

deej

Maybe posting your menu.lst would give us a start on this
strange behaviour. I say 'strange behaviour' because surely
it isn't Mick'o'Dog purposefuly trying to disable dual-booting...
is it yikes:o:o

Deej

P.S.
      As a beta-tester ( official, honestly ! ) I don't recall such a problem with 7 -
although I threw my 7.iso in the bin shortly after having
a quick look at it, so I can't re-install to check it out for you.

Deej

#7 2009-05-02 21:13:01

jwcxz
Website

When it is correctly installed, Windows 7 will work fine with GRUB because IIRC the Windows 7 bootloader is virtually the same as the Windows Vista bootloader.  However, problems will occur if you moved partitions around in the process of installing Arch.

-- jwc
http://jwcxz.com/ | blog
dotman - manage your dotfiles across multiple environments
icsy - an alarm for powernappers

#8 2009-05-02 21:20:56

Andrade

well i just shrinked windows 7 partition and at that shrinked size i installed Arch (well i don't use swap partition). i will post menu.lst tommorow now sleep don't have time to boot m linux(yeah now i'm in windows).

and i use windows 7 because vista sometimes gave me bsods while 7 don't do that...

Board footer