You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-02 18:48:22

greenfish

posssible to redirect the content of SCREEN during init/userspace?

I went to IRC the other day and asked where the userspace errors are usually located, a lot of users pointed me in the /var/log direction. But I can't for the life of me find anything that's related to userspace, only kernel errors.

Example: (sorted by now) netcfg complains during init theres a profile error bla bla, naturally I try to grep "Profile x error" in every log from /var/log but the result gives me nothing.

Where do we locate standard userspace errors? if there's no way other than using scroll lock, can't we take the output and direct it to a log instead?

Thank You big_smile

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#2 2009-05-04 10:36:45

greenfish

Re: posssible to redirect the content of SCREEN during init/userspace?

guys big_smile ?

#3 2009-05-06 10:34:09

sjovan

if netcfg complains about profile error, then I bet that it has somethingto to with your network profile.

I can't help you with the original problem though. Maybe dmesg | grep <word> or gmesg | tail could help you.

#4 2009-05-06 11:52:47

bender02

greenfish wrote:

Where do we locate standard userspace errors? if there's no way other than using scroll lock, can't we take the output and direct it to a log instead?

I think it's the matter of each "userspace" program to allow and arrange for logging of its output, via the config file and/or by command line switches, or automatically. If you need to capture output of a particular program/daemon run during the startup, you can always restart it (sudo /etc/rc.d/<daemon_name> restart) to get its output again, or better, take a look at how is the program actually run by looking at the script /etc/rc.d/<daemon_name> and try to run it from command line manually (especially if it doesn't allow reasonably logging its output).

#5 2009-05-11 18:19:54

greenfish

bender02 wrote:
greenfish wrote:

I think it's the matter of each "userspace" program to allow and arrange for logging of its output, via the config file and/or by command line switches, or automatically. If you need to capture output of a particular program/daemon run during the startup, you can always restart it (sudo /etc/rc.d/<daemon_name> restart) to get its output again, or better, take a look at how is the program actually run by looking at the script /etc/rc.d/<daemon_name> and try to run it from command line manually (especially if it doesn't allow reasonably logging its output).

sorry for the delay guys, I guess you have to manually subscribe to each thread in order to recieve an update.

bender02 hmm I see, I guess that makes sence but still it's gonna be a whole mess going through the entire daemon path just to see which one is causing the errors, and those are just daemons, what about standard errors in userspace? Your idea is sound though, now I only need to find out exactly what process/daemon is causing my mess and write the output > file. Thanks dude!

@sjovan problem resolved, but most of the errors I get in userspace isn't visible with "dmesg" thanks anyways!

Board footer