You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-05 01:40:20

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Should Arch User offer a print magazine?

Well.... the subject has been brought up so now we must ask the community. Should we offer a print magazine?

Vote!

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#2 2009-05-05 01:44:13

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Should Arch User offer a print magazine?

do you have an estimate on about how much it would cost?

#3 2009-05-05 02:05:32

rson451
Website

Yeah, I feel you probably wouldn't get an ROI large enough to cover your costs unfortuantely, but I could be very wrong.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#4 2009-05-05 03:11:19

kensai
Website

I don;t think you should take it up so fast, wait on the people to demand this.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#5 2009-05-05 03:50:26

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

kensai wrote:

I don;t think you should take it up so fast, wait on the people to demand this.

I wholeheartedly agree with you... this transition would be crazy for us to pull this soon. However... more than one person has asked me about the possibility of this happening so I thought I would put it up for discussion/vote by the community.

Now... on the off chance that the majority did vote in favor of this option. This would not preclude the continuation of AUM in its current state. More than likely it would continue in two forms: the standard ezine as it is now, and a printed version (perhaps with extended content/features/whatever). I have no intention of discontinuing the free online version that currently exists. Since I started AUM with the intention of it being by the community, for the community, I leave it up to you. At some point in time (even if not immediately) would you like to see this addition happen? If so, what would you like to see in it? Either way, what can we do to improve AUM? Is there a particular feature or section that we are missing? You tell us! It's your magazine!

#6 2009-05-05 03:54:39

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

evr wrote:

do you have an estimate on about how much it would cost?

Rough estimate? $USD12 (That's for around 30 pages)

#7 2009-05-05 04:28:53

jt512

No.  Even normal people don't read print magazines anymore, never mind computer geeks.

#8 2009-05-05 04:56:19

ent

I imagine it might be more costly for some people due to international shipping charges and stuff like that. I would definitely subscribe though if this got started.

#9 2009-05-05 08:11:14

mikesd
Website

I don't see it working economically. Currently newspapers are having trouble maintaining readership. I can't recall when I last bought a newspaper. I don't buy magazines very often either. I might buy a generic computer magazine once or twice a year. I do buy Linux Format monthly partly due to the fact it is a great magazine but mainly just to boost their sales figures. I consider it a donation to the Linux Community. smile Online publishing is cheap and effective. Keep it up!

#10 2009-05-05 13:17:45

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

I like the way your doing it now wink

#11 2009-05-05 14:01:12

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Why provide a print if you could e.g. provide a nice PDF that can be printed out (and thus retain the same layout on paper as on the computer screen)?

Waste of money imho. Most people who have access to Linux (or use it on a daily basis) have (even if intermittently) access to internet, so they can download the digital issue. Don't forget that besides the costs for a printed edition, the distribution of it brings an extra workload too.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#12 2009-05-05 14:26:14

kensai
Website

jt512 wrote:

No.  Even normal people don't read print magazines anymore, never mind computer geeks.

I second this

And also second B's opinion above.

Last edited by kensai (2009-05-05 14:27:00)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#13 2009-05-05 14:32:36

ralvez
Website

B wrote:

Why provide a print if you could e.g. provide a nice PDF that can be printed out (and thus retain the same layout on paper as on the computer screen)?

Waste of money imho. Most people who have access to Linux (or use it on a daily basis) have (even if intermittently) access to internet, so they can download the digital issue. Don't forget that besides the costs for a printed edition, the distribution of it brings an extra workload too.

Have you tried to print the magazine the way it is now? I did... and the results are not pretty. The main reason, I believe, is that the layout was set landscape on a non-standard size so the pages get chopped even if you print landscape.

I personally like to have printed copies and I would definitely subscribe if there was a printed magazine.

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2009-05-05 14:33:17)

#14 2009-05-05 14:42:16

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Ralvez, I don't think you read my complete reply... I said that if the magazine is provided in a format that maintains the same layout digitally and in print (e.g. a PDF), there is no reason to provide a print version wink.

If there's anything easy in Linux it's exporting documents to PDF. I know it's not trivial to do for a magazine, but I know it can be done. Take a look at the guys at Full Circle Magazine for example. I think they provide a very professional looking product.

I'm not saying it's a breeze to pull that off - far from it. But imho making a digital 'print-persistent' edition is worth one's time more (and in the end, money) than making a digital one and a printed one.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#15 2009-05-05 15:32:15

Barrucadu
Website

I think it would be great and I'd pay for it - but I don't think enough people would for it to be feasible.

#16 2009-05-05 15:56:28

madnerves

Hey,

I guess that printing another book is not that good, you'd better keep on going online only, because it can be read everywhere you and we go, and we don't need to keep a lot of books if we only need 3 pages in one, and 2 in another.

I think you should take the "mobility" way, only electronic support and nothing else. It costs you less and it is easy for everybody to get it quickly.

That's just my way of thinking but... well... we are all electronics today aren't we?

#17 2009-05-05 16:15:51

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I would start with a print on demand system. Offer the next issue as a print alternative and see how many people order it (for fun, release it in print before you release it online). Print it out using a common inkjet printer (high quality, maybe glossy paper though), staple and ship it. If it grows into something that you want to get professionally printed and bound, you'll know when the time comes.

Also, bear in mind that the number of people who say they'll buy something is substantially smaller than the number who actually order it.

Finally, my own input -- I would not buy a print copy. I'm a 'stuff minimalist' and anything I can have on my hard drive instead of on a shelf that needs dusting stays on my hard drive.

Dusty

#18 2009-05-05 22:07:49

ralvez
Website

B,

Ralvez, I don't think you read my complete reply... I said that if the magazine is provided in a format that maintains the same layout digitally and in print (e.g. a PDF), there is no reason to provide a print version wink.

Perhaps I misread your post. I do agree with your comment.
I get the Python Magazine in PDF and I print it latter; or at least the things I want to keep close at hand for reference and it works great.

R.

#19 2009-05-06 18:28:24

dunc

mikesd wrote:

I do buy Linux Format monthly partly due to the fact it is a great magazine but mainly just to boost their sales figures. I consider it a donation to the Linux Community. smile

Heh. I thought I was the only one doing that. I barely read it these days. It's mainly habit, too: I've been reading Future's "Format" magazines since the first ST/Amiga Format, twent... no, it can't be. Several years ago.

But oddly enough, although I buy quite a few print magazines, that's really the only one I feel that way about. The British weekly Micro Mart is very good (and an enthusiastic, if sometimes slightly ill-informed, supporter of Linux and FOSS), and outside of computing a fuzzy JPEG just isn't the same as a juicy 2-page spread in Autosport or - especially - Octane. smile

I can't see an Arch print magazine being worth the expense (to you guys, not the readers), though. The best thing would be to lay out the online version so that it's printable. Something like this. ZXF is (was) designed to resemble Future's Format magazines (and the classic Spectrum mag "Crash"), but was distributed as a PDF. (Although I've just noticed that its creator eventually offered a print version through lulu.com. That might be an option.)

0 Ok, 0:1

#20 2009-05-06 18:53:08

markp1989

I agree with the pdf idea, that was we dont have to leave the house. and it reduces printing costs, and shipping .

if there was a arch mag in pdf format, i would download and print it or read it on my eee tablet when i have finished the mod.

Last edited by markp1989 (2009-05-06 18:54:41)

Desktop: E8400@4ghz - DFI Lanparty JR P45-T2RS - 4gb ddr2 800 - 30gb OCZ Vertex - Geforce 8800 GTS - 2*19" LCD
Server/Media Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX I-E - E5200 - 4gb Ram - 2* ecogreen F2 1.5tb - 1* wd green 500gb - PicoPSU 150xt - rtorrent - xbmc - ipazzport remote - 42" LCD

#21 2009-05-06 19:45:02

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

dunc wrote:
mikesd wrote:

I do buy Linux Format monthly partly due to the fact it is a great magazine but mainly just to boost their sales figures. I consider it a donation to the Linux Community. smile

Heh. I thought I was the only one doing that. I barely read it these days. It's mainly habit, too: I've been reading Future's "Format" magazines since the first ST/Amiga Format, twent... no, it can't be. Several years ago.

But oddly enough, although I buy quite a few print magazines, that's really the only one I feel that way about. The British weekly Micro Mart is very good (and an enthusiastic, if sometimes slightly ill-informed, supporter of Linux and FOSS), and outside of computing a fuzzy JPEG just isn't the same as a juicy 2-page spread in Autosport or - especially - Octane. smile

I can't see an Arch print magazine being worth the expense (to you guys, not the readers), though. The best thing would be to lay out the online version so that it's printable. Something like this. ZXF is (was) designed to resemble Future's Format magazines (and the classic Spectrum mag "Crash"), but was distributed as a PDF. (Although I've just noticed that its creator eventually offered a print version through lulu.com. That might be an option.)

The "print on demand" idea was one thing I had considered doing.

markp1989 wrote:

I agree with the pdf idea, that was we dont have to leave the house. and it reduces printing costs, and shipping .

if there was a arch mag in pdf format, i would download and print it or read it on my eee tablet when i have finished the mod.

If there was? There is one...

#22 2009-05-06 20:07:51

markp1989

Ghost1227 wrote:
dunc wrote:
mikesd wrote:

The "print on demand" idea was one thing I had considered doing.

markp1989 wrote:

If there was? There is one...

so there is ^ the link is in his sig if any one else wants it thanks big_smile

Desktop: E8400@4ghz - DFI Lanparty JR P45-T2RS - 4gb ddr2 800 - 30gb OCZ Vertex - Geforce 8800 GTS - 2*19" LCD
Server/Media Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX I-E - E5200 - 4gb Ram - 2* ecogreen F2 1.5tb - 1* wd green 500gb - PicoPSU 150xt - rtorrent - xbmc - ipazzport remote - 42" LCD

#23 2009-05-17 19:01:51

greenfish

I rather read a book/magazine then wasting my eyes reading on a friggin monitor.

I vote yes!

BTW why is linux format/magazine so insanely overpriced? Yes I know it's bundled with a dvd etc and yes I do pay for both mags every month, just curious why the price tag goes through the roof?

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#24 2009-05-17 19:06:25

scv5

rson451 wrote:

Yeah, I feel you probably wouldn't get an ROI large enough to cover your costs unfortuantely, but I could be very wrong.

I think you're spot on.  A print magazine simply wouldn't work.

#25 2009-05-17 19:17:08

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

greenfish wrote:

I rather read a book/magazine then wasting my eyes reading on a friggin monitor.

I vote yes!

BTW why is linux format/magazine so insanely overpriced? Yes I know it's bundled with a dvd etc and yes I do pay for both mags every month, just curious why the price tag goes through the roof?

Why does anyone read Linux Format? yes its very overpriced and most of the articles etc... can easily be found online for free

Arch Magazine sounds interesting but do not already have a newsletter mailing lists forum etc...

pfd format sounds the way to go.... print and read at your leisure

MrG

Mr Green

Board footer