You are not logged in.

#26 2009-05-17 19:48:28

greenfish

Re: Should Arch User offer a print magazine?

Mr Green wrote:
greenfish wrote:

I rather read a book/magazine then wasting my eyes reading on a friggin monitor.

I vote yes!

BTW why is linux format/magazine so insanely overpriced? Yes I know it's bundled with a dvd etc and yes I do pay for both mags every month, just curious why the price tag goes through the roof?

Why does anyone read Linux Format? yes its very overpriced and most of the articles etc... can easily be found online for free

Arch Magazine sounds interesting but do not already have a newsletter mailing lists forum etc...

pfd format sounds the way to go.... print and read at your leisure

MrG

It's very simple because I enjoy reading anything that's OS related in a paper format with lots of nice pictures then reading on a monitor. I'm actually paying for 3 linux magazines every month. I also read them during my lunch break at work like a regular newspaper smile

Not everything can be found online, that's why these magazines have lots of readers, if the authors do their job providing stuff that's not always online, the customers will remain interesting.

Also instead of looking through lots of RSS feeds the magazines gives it to me in a paper form, which is something I happily pay for.

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#27 2009-05-17 19:55:15

haxit
Website

jt512 wrote:

No.  Even normal people don't read print magazines anymore, never mind computer geeks.

True, it is all moving to the new medium, INTERNET!

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#28 2009-05-17 20:09:00

tomd123
Developer

Ummm. why? If you're using arch, you're almost always on a connection. The logical thing to do would be to have it in some sort of electronic medium, not a paper one.

#29 2009-05-17 23:17:16

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

I think the only sensible way to do it would be to print on demand, but that would make cost per issue pretty high for the person buying it. I'd look into it if you get people willing to pay that price though. Doing a print run just doesn't make sense right now I think

#30 2009-05-18 06:32:24

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

After reading the latest newsletter [which is awesome!!!] there is little need for a printed version. Lets save some trees

Cost per issue... well donate a dollar once you read the newsletter

Mr Green

Board footer