You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-05 07:16:26

kruemeltee

kernel panic: libssp.so.0 not found

hello everybody ...

I'm a little bit angry 'bout upgrading archlinuxppc ...

last time I did I've got the following errors:
- mplayer is not working anymore (drops: "ungültiger maschinencode" ... something like "incorrect opcode") -> not fixed yet (not even reinstalling helped)
- xfce4 got trouble with keyboard layout -> fixed this after spending a lot of time trying to understand how hal works with keyboard-layouts)

the very last time (today in the morning)
- I got a kernel panic:

archlinux is able to mount root-fs readonly but stops right after that with the hint

libssp.so.0 - no such file or directory

How am I able to get my system running? Is there a fallback-image and if so, how am I able to get this working? The main problem is, I don't have any knowledge 'bout "yaboot", 'cause I'm running grub on my other machine. How am I able to tell yaboot to use the fallback image? Or isn't that the right way?

regards
Martin Schuchardt

Last edited by kruemeltee (2009-05-05 07:16:56)

#2 2009-05-05 07:30:11

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: kernel panic: libssp.so.0 not found

That library should be provided by gcc-libs...  so I doubt going to a fallback image would help.

#3 2009-05-05 10:20:46

kruemeltee

okay ...

I think the last update (-Syu) included a glibc update ... so how am I able to fix this?

greetings
Martin Schuchardt

#4 2009-05-06 04:30:18

kruemeltee

I started arch with the help of its boot cd and checked if this libssp.so.0 exists. This file is a symbolic link to libssp.so.0.0.0 and both files exists. So why this error message during bootup? Both files are located within /usr/lib and the /usr directory is located on a different partition (but this partition is okay, just checked it!

so what now?

I'm currently trying a changeroot an reinstall the gcc-libs package (owner of this file)

regards
Martin Schuchardt

edit: chroot works, but reinstalling doesn't help, is it possible, that the current packages doesn't work with my apple ibook g3 (ppc architecture)? Maybe its compiles for a newer ppc architekture? I don't know much about ppc processors (maybe something like a 486 and 586 incompatibility?) Would be an explanation for mplayer too!

Last edited by kruemeltee (2009-05-06 05:33:56)

#5 2009-05-07 10:03:01

kruemeltee

Okay ... i just found the solution, but I still don't know why this is causing an error (it worked in the past)

/sbin/init depends on libssp.so.0 and if this lib could not be found I get a kernel panic ...

somehow init isn't able to acces the partition which one gets later mounted into /usr.

So I copied the whole directory /usr/lib into /root/lib ... (the directory /root is located on the root partition) and did the following:

echo "/root/lib/" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
ldconfig

after that the following happens:

maddin@apple : ldconfig -p | grep libssp
libssp (libv6) -> /root/lib/libssp.so.0 (0x08fa8000)
libssp (libv6) -> /usr/lib/libssp.so.0 (0x08f78a00)

that works and now I'm able to boot normally. If I undo these changes (delete /root/lib/ within /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig) I still get the kernel panic, that init isn't able to access libssp.so.0, no such file or directory

regards
Martin Schuchardt

Board footer