You are not logged in.

#226 2011-09-07 11:25:41

unexist
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

arxx.43 wrote:

ups, probably i didn't use this grab some time. i'll just settle for the usual "it used to work" (tm) wink

Actually I doubt that it worked at all, I never changed the way #tags= works since I added it.

arxx.43 wrote:

ok, i see. intentionally untagging a client is a useful behaviour. nevertheless, untagging in case of configuration errors like mine seems to be not a real bug - as it is caused by a user error - but a rather unexpected behaviour.

Unsure if I want to fix that, e.g. when you pass a nil value #tags= should ignore that and only reset all tags when you pass an empty array.

arxx.43 wrote:

however, to just have the new tag as the _only_ tag of the client i hda to do something like c.tags = ["misc"]?

Yep, but keep in mind that the tag must exist before you can add it, no tagging method adds tags automatically.

#227 2011-09-07 11:56:08

arxx.43

funny stuff. you just made me think about if i _ever_ used this grab. +1 for mandatory tagging as it obviously prevents me from moving stuff this way...

another behaviour would have made me look closer at the grab as the source of problems ("not working grab") instead of filing a bug ("working grab, not working subtle"). to me this feels quite right in this case. on the other hand if i would intentionally pass a nil value (didn't know that a wrong type would beconsidered nil in ruby), i would perhaps see it the other way round ("i set it to nil, why doesn't subtle strip the tags?").

anyway, thanks for your advice!

#228 2011-09-07 13:52:18

unexist
Website

arxx.43 wrote:

+1 for mandatory tagging as it obviously prevents me from moving stuff this way...

Heh, I rarely hear this, normally people don't like the mandatory tagging.

arxx.43 wrote:

to me this feels quite right in this case. on the other hand if i would intentionally pass a nil value (didn't know that a wrong type would beconsidered nil in ruby), i would perhaps see it the other way round ("i set it to nil, why doesn't subtle strip the tags?").

I tested that behaviour again and found an odd problem: When you try to add a tag that doesn't exist, #tags= just removed all tags. I fixed that in r3028.

arxx.43 wrote:

anyway, thanks for your advice!

You are welcome, visit us in #subtle if you have spare time. wink

#229 2011-09-07 17:25:57

ballPointPenguin
Website

Just discovered that Subtle is Ruby-based and decided to give it a try. Installed yesterday. So far so good.
Trying to learn haskell enough to run XMonad became tiresome.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." ~Mitch Ratcliffe

#230 2011-09-07 19:08:52

unexist
Website

ballPointPenguin wrote:

Just discovered that Subtle is Ruby-based and decided to give it a try. Installed yesterday. So far so good.
Trying to learn haskell enough to run XMonad became tiresome.

Strictly speaking it just uses Ruby for scripting,  it is written in C.  And you are welcome,  if you have any problems just ask. smile

#231 2011-09-25 05:37:11

ill

Been using subtle for a couple months now, absolutely love how easy it is to configure. Thanks a bunch for making it :]

#232 2011-09-25 10:44:59

unexist
Website

ill wrote:

Been using subtle for a couple months now, absolutely love how easy it is to configure. Thanks a bunch for making it :]

You are welcome and visit us in #subtle on freenode if you are around. smile

#233 2011-09-29 05:26:05

Panda Joshu

Hey just thought id add how great i think subtle is only just started using it about a week ago am having a bit of trouble but nothing i wont figure out eventually. Out of all the window managers ive tried subtle just hit that perfect spot for me

#234 2011-09-29 12:46:23

unexist
Website

Panda Joshu wrote:

Hey just thought id add how great i think subtle is only just started using it about a week ago am having a bit of trouble but nothing i wont figure out eventually. Out of all the window managers ive tried subtle just hit that perfect spot for me

Words like that are always welcome. smile

When you still have problems just ask either here, bugtracker or better visit us in #subtle on freenode.

#235 2011-09-29 19:04:10

Panda Joshu

unexist wrote:

Words like that are always welcome. smile

When you still have problems just ask either here, bugtracker or better visit us in #subtle on freenode.

Thanks for the warm welcome and ive pretty much worked everything out but  will drop by on irc once in a while. My problem was only that im pretty much an average user and needed to learn more reading the wiki and looking at everyones configs help me there. ^^

#236 2011-09-29 19:14:06

unexist
Website

Panda Joshu wrote:

My problem was only that im pretty much an average user and needed to learn more reading the wiki and looking at everyones configs help me there. ^^

Heh, feel free to contribute to the wiki when there is something difficult to understand and you mastered it. I am the sole wiki writer and it is never easy to explain the thoughts of a devel. wink

#237 2011-09-29 19:32:14

Panda Joshu

unexist wrote:

Heh, feel free to contribute to the wiki when there is something difficult to understand and you mastered it. I am the sole wiki writer and it is never easy to explain the thoughts of a devel. wink

Yeah of course wants i get everything set up and feel i can contribute a little to the wiki i will. like that fact that sometimes two libs arnt installed yet they seem to be a dependency for subtle also it took me a bit to figure out the subtle-contrib package not because its difficult but because as i said im not very techy.

#238 2011-09-29 19:35:00

unexist
Website

Panda Joshu wrote:

like that fact that sometimes two libs arnt installed yet they seem to be a dependency for subtle also it took me a bit to figure out the subtle-contrib package not because its difficult but because as i said im not very techy.

Hum, the subtle has just a few dependencies and only one that is related to rubgems. (tar-minitar-archive) What dependencies do you mean? Contrib on the other hand has a plethora of additionel deps that the is the reason why it is isn't packaged yet.

#239 2011-09-29 19:41:41

Panda Joshu

unexist wrote:

Hum, the subtle has just a few dependencies and only one that is related to rubgems. (tar-minitar-archive) What dependencies do you mean? Contrib on the other hand has a plethora of additionel deps that the is the reason why it is isn't packaged yet.

the first time i set up subtle i got errors about libxpm and libxft (i think thats what it was called) i checked to see if they were installed and they werent so i installed them and then everything worked perfectly then i installed subtle on another box but only got errors about libxpm.

#240 2011-09-29 19:57:42

unexist
Website

Panda Joshu wrote:

the first time i set up subtle i got errors about libxpm and libxft (i think thats what it was called) i checked to see if they were installed and they werent so i installed them and then everything worked perfectly then i installed subtle on another box but only got errors about libxpm.

Ah ok, yes that are optional dependencies, subtle works well without them tho.

#241 2011-09-29 19:58:52

Panda Joshu

oh alright well thanks and cant wait to share  my setup on the ss thread when i finnish setting up ^^

#242 2011-09-29 20:09:44

unexist
Website

Panda Joshu wrote:

oh alright well thanks and cant wait to share  my setup on the ss thread when i finnish setting up ^^

Make sure to post int he subtle ss thread as well. wink

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=112486

#243 2011-10-01 10:45:47

anvslv

Is there any way to toggle borderless client state depending on a gravity? Perhaps for maximized state. There's client_gravity event in wiki, but it does not work and I'm not sure it's what i'm guessing it is:

gravity :c2, [0, 0, 100, 100]
on :client_gravity do |c|
  if (c.is_borderless == false and c.gravity == :c2)
    c.toggle_borderless 
  end
  if (c.is_borderless == true and c.gravity != :c2)
    c.toggle_borderless
  end
end

#244 2011-10-01 15:46:36

unexist
Website

anvslv wrote:

Is there any way to toggle borderless client state depending on a gravity? Perhaps for maximized state. There's client_gravity event in wiki, but it does not work and I'm not sure it's what i'm guessing it is:

The name of the method is is_borderless? and not is_borderless, so this should raise a NoMethodError.

I would say the client_gravity hook should have more parameters, like the new gravity so that you can check inside of hook if you want the gravity to be applied.

#245 2011-10-06 12:18:13

aakos23

Hi!

I have a problem.

grab "W-S-v", "urxvt -name MC -e mc"

tag "terms" do
   match :instance => "xterm|[u]?rxvt"
end

tag "dev" do
   match :instance => "MC"
end

But MC spawn terms tag. sad Why?
Version: subtle-hg 3069

Last edited by aakos23 (2011-10-06 12:23:50)

#246 2011-10-06 12:23:54

unexist
Website

aakos23 wrote:

But MC spawn terms tag. sad Why?

Hi, did you add your dev tag to yout desired view? Please post your view config as well to make it easier for me. wink

#247 2011-10-06 12:29:35

aakos23

#248 2011-10-06 12:33:38

unexist
Website

aakos23 wrote:
grab "W-S-v", "urxvt -name MC -e mc"

tag "terms" do
   match :instance => "xterm|[u]?rxvt"
end

tag "dev" do
   match :instance => "MC"
end

Additional to this tags you need add the dev tag to the dev view:

view "dev",   "editor"

Otherwise your urxvt 'MC' has no placement tag, gets the default tag and is visible on your default view 'terms'.

You can see that with subtler:

subtler -cG mc

#249 2011-10-06 12:50:07

aakos23

Oooooh thanks! smile

#250 2011-10-06 12:54:19

unexist
Website

aakos23 wrote:

Oooooh thanks! smile