You are not logged in.

#326 2012-01-14 14:37:26

unexist
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

melw wrote:

Have been messing around with a few tiling Wm's lately, but i'm allways coming back to subtle. So keep up the good work.

Thanks I will, make sure to come back every time. wink

melw wrote:

But i got a question about the behavior of the borders defined by active and inactive. For me it seems like instead of showing the inactive border, the space where the border is suppossed to be is getting transperent. And here's the strange part. It's not in all views this happens. It seems like it's when i'm using terminals (urxvt).

When looking at screenshots it seems like some got the same problem, but it can be tricky to know what their config says when it's not availble. For me i got no margin or padding that should mess things up.

Any solutions or do i just have to live with it?

Hum, what screenshots? There is no code in subtle that allows transparency at all, so this is pretty odd. Can you post the style part of your config? Do you run any other stuff like a composite manager?

#327 2012-01-14 22:09:06

melw

unexist wrote:
melw wrote:

But i got a question about the behavior of the borders defined by active and inactive. For me it seems like instead of showing the inactive border, the space where the border is suppossed to be is getting transperent. And here's the strange part. It's not in all views this happens. It seems like it's when i'm using terminals (urxvt).

When looking at screenshots it seems like some got the same problem, but it can be tricky to know what their config says when it's not availble. For me i got no margin or padding that should mess things up.

Any solutions or do i just have to live with it?

Hum, what screenshots? There is no code in subtle that allows transparency at all, so this is pretty odd. Can you post the style part of your config? Do you run any other stuff like a composite manager?

Well, first, here's a screenshot http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8592/2 … 0x1024.png and here's the config http://pastebin.com/KSehBTDk . And i'm using xcompmgr

If you take a look between the the terminal using tmux and the one using ncmpcpp, you'll see the red border (the active) and a transperent space, wich is the space that should be used by the inactive border. But, there is no border, it's a transperent zone.

I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enought....

#328 2012-01-15 00:16:45

unexist
Website

melw wrote:

Well, first, here's a screenshot http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8592/2 … 0x1024.png and here's the config http://pastebin.com/KSehBTDk . And i'm using xcompmgr

If you take a look between the the terminal using tmux and the one using ncmpcpp, you'll see the red border (the active) and a transperent space, wich is the space that should be used by the inactive border. But, there is no border, it's a transperent zone.

Yep that looks bogus, but that is clearly not a fault of subtle. Disable composite and the problem is gone, no idea why anyone needs any transparency. I have never tested composite with subtle and I won't add support for it. Some people told me that the cairo-compmgr-thing works better.

#329 2012-01-24 21:38:48

ioos

I'm really enjoying subtle so far. I keep trying different tiling WMs, but eventually going back to more traditional desktops. This time I'm determined to stick with it. That being said, I do have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to override the window tagging? For example, my text editor always opens in the "dev" view and web browser on the "www" view. This is fine, but occasionally I might want them on the same screen. Is it possible to move one of the open windows?

2) Where do I find more info on configuring sublets? "sur config clock" tells me there's a format_string, but how do I know what variables it accepts?

#330 2012-01-24 22:19:33

unexist
Website

ioos wrote:

1) Is it possible to override the window tagging? For example, my text editor always opens in the "dev" view and web browser on the "www" view. This is fine, but occasionally I might want them on the same screen. Is it possible to move one of the open windows?

The easiest way is to set either of them to stick, sticky windows appear on every view. You can also add a grab that changes the tags like:

grab "A-b" do |c|
  c.tags = [ "dev", "view" ]
end
ioos wrote:

2) Where do I find more info on configuring sublets? "sur config clock" tells me there's a format_string, but how do I know what variables it accepts?

The format_string just accepts the typical format options known from strftime. (man strftime)  sur info clock might show more options, but I am the author of that sublet and never added verbose info about the args.

#331 2012-01-29 00:57:11

ioos

I've been playing around using sublte as the WM in the razor-qt environment. It's actually quite nice. However, I can't get the panel to stay put. It keeps jumping to the center of the screen. It will move back to the bottom if I right click on the panel and move it to the bottom. I'm using the following settings:

# razor-qt
tag "panel" do
  match "razor-panel"
#  gravity :razor_panel
  position [ 0, 0 ]
  fixed true
  stick true
  borderless true
  type :dock
  zaphod true
  center true
end

Is there something wrong with my settings? Or is it possibly an issue with the panel?

#332 2012-01-29 10:38:25

unexist
Website

ioos wrote:

Is there something wrong with my settings? Or is it possibly an issue with the panel?

Hm, can you post me the xprop output of the razor panel? And actually I've never tried to set the dock type like this, will test that later.

#333 2012-01-30 05:33:43

ioos

Here's the xprop output: http://pastebin.com/FcD7v4fA

#334 2012-01-30 20:15:21

unexist
Website

ioos wrote:

Thanks, hm is there no standlone package of the panel?

#335 2012-01-30 21:35:25

ioos

unexist wrote:
ioos wrote:

Thanks, hm is there no standlone package of the panel?

I don't think so. It's part of the DE. FWIW, I upgraded to the slightly newer git version of razor-qt and I see the same behavior.

Which version of subtle should I be using if I want the newest? The hg build in the aur appears to be older than the standard build. Is that right?

#336 2012-01-30 23:42:30

unexist
Website

ioos wrote:

I don't think so. It's part of the DE. FWIW, I upgraded to the slightly newer git version of razor-qt and I see the same behavior.

I installed razor right now, going to test it tomorrow.

ioos wrote:

Which version of subtle should I be using if I want the newest? The hg build in the aur appears to be older than the standard build. Is that right?

The -hg version is always the latest and quite some versions ahead. 3008 (stable) vs 3175 (hg)

#337 2012-01-31 20:35:11

ioos

unexist wrote:

The -hg version is always the latest and quite some versions ahead. 3008 (stable) vs 3175 (hg)

Thanks. I just upgraded both of my machines. I also learned a valuable lesson about how the timestamps in the aur work smile

On a side note, on both machines I had to force install ruby-minitar. There seems to be a conflict with ruby.

#338 2012-01-31 20:39:20

unexist
Website

ioos wrote:

Thanks. I just upgraded both of my machines. I also learned a valuable lesson about how the timestamps in the aur work smile

On a side note, on both machines I had to force install ruby-minitar. There seems to be a conflict with ruby.

When you updated to r3179 the panel should work properly now. Don't see any conflicts here tho.

#339 2012-01-31 21:53:55

ioos

Hey! Thanks for the quick fix! You're awesome.

It stays at the bottom of the screen now, but it still moves around. Instead of jumping up to the middle, it will move down and to the right by roughly 5 pixels in each direction. Not a big deal though, it's completely usable now.

#340 2012-02-01 08:02:47

ioos

ioos wrote:

It stays at the bottom of the screen now, but it still moves around. Instead of jumping up to the middle, it will move down and to the right by roughly 5 pixels in each direction. Not a big deal though, it's completely usable now.

My mistake. I hadn't readded the razor-panel tags after upgrading to subtle-hg. Everything seems fine now. For a while it was slowly sneaking off of the sceen 1 pixel at a time!

#341 2012-02-01 13:32:31

unexist
Website

ioos wrote:

Hey! Thanks for the quick fix! You're awesome.

You are welcome. smile

ioos wrote:

My mistake. I hadn't readded the razor-panel tags after upgrading to subtle-hg. Everything seems fine now. For a while it was slowly sneaking off of the sceen 1 pixel at a time!

The only thing that doesn't work properly is the sync of the active desktop in the panel, no idea how the panel checks for it. I am not aware of any missing EWMH feature for that in subtle.

#342 2012-02-06 09:01:35

cirnOS

unexist, I took a look at the gravity page on the wiki. Basically what I am trying to achieve is a grid based tile behavior like how I use it in WMFS. Here is a screenshot of my setup: http://ompldr.org/vY21yZw
Is this possible? I can mess around with the default starting gravity but it may take me a while to get what I want.

#343 2012-02-06 10:57:44

unexist
Website

cirnOS wrote:

unexist, I took a look at the gravity page on the wiki. Basically what I am trying to achieve is a grid based tile behavior like how I use it in WMFS. Here is a screenshot of my setup: http://ompldr.org/vY21yZw
Is this possible? I can mess around with the default starting gravity but it may take me a while to get what I want.

Well, there are several ways to archive that. I am using the same layout for my terms view and there is no need for autotiling at all. I just start two terminals with a proper name and add tag rules for it:

tag "urxvt1" do
  match  instance: "urxvt1"
  gravity :top
end

tag "urxvt2" do
  match  instance: "urxvt2"
  gravity :bottom
end

view "terms", "urxvt."

And start both trminals via .xinitrc:

urxvt -name urxvt1 &
urxvt -name urxvt2 &

Another way is to enable tiling for the center gravity:

gravity :center, [ 0, 0, 100, 100 ], :vert

That'll autotile windows that have the center gravity.

#344 2012-02-06 11:06:18

echo.unity

Also @unexist I know your not the author of clock2 but is it possible to make it clickable to drop down gsimplecal?

clock2

# Clock2 sublet file
# Created with sur-0.2
configure :clock2 do |s|
	s.interval = s.config[:interval] || 60

s.time_format = s.config[:time_format] || '%H:%M'
	s.date_format = s.config[:date_format] || '%y/%m/%d'

s.time_color = Subtlext::Color.new(s.config[:time_color] || '#B8B8B8')
	s.date_color = Subtlext::Color.new(s.config[:date_color] || '#757575')
end

on :run do |s|
	s.data = s.time_color + Time.now().strftime(s.time_format) + ' ' + s.date_color + Time.now().strftime(s.date_format)
end

I looked at the volume sublet to get an idea of how to do it but ... i lack ruby skills /

Last edited by echo.unity (2012-02-06 11:25:35)

#345 2012-02-06 11:42:24

unexist
Website

echo.unity wrote:

Also @unexist I know your not the author of clock2 but is it possible to make it clickable to drop down gsimplecal?

Generally you can control windows from a sublet, but is that really required? If you just need a calendar, it is prolly easier to add that to the sublet itself
instead of calling something external. wink

#346 2012-02-06 21:32:34

ioos

unexist wrote:

Another way is to enable tiling for the center gravity:

gravity :center, [ 0, 0, 100, 100 ], :vert

That'll autotile windows that have the center gravity.

What does the ":vert" argument do? I saw that in your subtle.rb as well.

#347 2012-02-06 21:33:33

unexist
Website

ioos wrote:

What does the ":vert" argument do? I saw that in your subtle.rb as well.

It enables vertical gravity tiling for this gravity, all clients on the same view with that gravity are autotiled then.

#348 2012-02-07 06:30:03

echo.unity

unexist wrote:
echo.unity wrote:

Generally you can control windows from a sublet, but is that really required? If you just need a calendar, it is prolly easier to add that to the sublet itself
instead of calling something external. wink

I came up with a far more elegant solution.

#349 2012-02-07 11:24:16

unexist
Website

echo.unity wrote:

What kind of?

#350 2012-02-08 02:38:54

echo.unity

unexist wrote:
echo.unity wrote:

What kind of?

I was just going to use conky : )

Board footer