You are not logged in.

#126 2011-03-20 12:47:36

lutherus

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

what about nitrogen?i have nitrogen and wallpaper is on all views

I`m not a nerd.I`m a level 55   dwarf monk-psychic ninja ;-)

my github

#127 2011-03-20 12:57:21

unexist
Website

Well, I can almost answer all of your questions with links to the FAQ. wink

nexus7 wrote:

(1) How do I shift a program from one view to another? (s.th. like W-S-2 seems not to be meant to do this...)

http://subforge.org/ezfaq/show/subtle?faq_id=2

Tagging is meant to be mandatory, moving windows just needs changing the tags. I really don't like the weak tagging of e.g. awesome and xmonad, they call it dynamic tagging but for me dynamic just means I can change it per runtime and that is possible in subtle, too.

nexus7 wrote:

(2) Actually the wallpaper is displayed on view 1 (via feh) only. How can it be displayed on all views --- or even better

http://subforge.org/ezfaq/show/subtle?faq_id=13

Probably subtle overwrites your background, you need to disable the background color in the subtle config. The reason for that is subtle can't know if there is a wallpaper you want to keep and you usually set a background pixmap before you start subtle. When you use feh afterswars like

feh --bg-center /path/to/file

it should work properly, it does here actually.

nexus7 wrote:

(3) How can I display a different wallpaper on each view?

A different wallpaper on each view is troublesome, because in subtle a view has no own window and I generally use windows only when I can't avoid it. You can use a hook to set the wallpaper of the root window on a view change, but actually I wouldn't recommend that.

If you insist something like that should work (untested):

on :view_jump do |v|
  system("feh --bg-center ~/images/#{v.name}.png}")
end

#128 2011-03-20 13:02:40

nexus7

lutherus wrote:

what about nitrogen?i have nitrogen and wallpaper is on all views

aha. can it also display different papers on different "views"?

Or, if it'd be possible to make 'per-view-actions' in subtle, one could also do this with feh...

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#129 2011-03-20 13:09:43

nexus7

unexist wrote:

Well, I can almost answer all of your questions with links to the FAQ. wink

nexus7 wrote:

(1) How do I shift a program from one view to another? (s.th. like W-S-2 seems not to be meant to do this...)

Tagging is meant to be mandatory, moving windows just needs changing the tags. I really don't like the weak tagging of e.g. awesome and xmonad, they call it dynamic tagging but for me dynamic just means I can change it per runtime and that is possible in subtle, too.

nexus7 wrote:

(2) Actually the wallpaper is displayed on view 1 (via feh) only. How can it be displayed on all views --- or even better

http://subforge.org/ezfaq/show/subtle?faq_id=13

Probably subtle overwrites your background, you need to disable the background color in the subtle config. The reason for that is subtle can't know if there is a wallpaper you want to keep and you usually set a background pixmap before you start subtle. When you use feh afterswars like

nexus7 wrote:

(3) How can I display a different wallpaper on each view?

A different wallpaper on each view is troublesome, because in subtle a view has no own window and I generally use windows only when I can't avoid it. You can use a hook to set the wallpaper of the root window on a view change, but actually I wouldn't recommend that.

If you insist something like that should work (untested):

end

@ unexist: Oh, your post just came in, sorry...
--> RTFM, got it wink
Ah yes, it's about those snippets, which I dind't understand first tongue
Will work this out later, I have an appointment now...

thx very much big_smile

Last edited by nexus7 (2011-03-20 13:15:39)

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#130 2011-03-20 13:30:43

nexus7

unexist wrote:

Probably subtle overwrites your background, you need to disable the background color in the subtle config.

How do I do this? Comment out like this

# Background color of root background
#color :background,      "#3d3d3d"

seems not wot work.

unexist wrote:

The reason for that is subtle can't know if there is a wallpaper you want to keep and you usually set a background pixmap before you start subtle. When you use feh afterswars like

...but one have to start the wm last in .xinitrc...?

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#131 2011-03-20 14:02:10

unexist
Website

nexus7 wrote:

Ah yes, it's about those snippets, which I dind't understand first
Will work this out later, I have an appointment now...

These snippets usually just need to be added to your config, really straight forward. wink

nexus7 wrote:

How do I do this..but one have to start the wm last in .xinitrc...?

When you comment out the background line from your config it is fine to run feh just from your xinitrc, doesn't matter if you do this before or after subtle, because subtle will not touch the pixmap of the root window at all.

#132 2011-03-20 15:26:43

nexus7

unexist wrote:
end

hmm... isn't there a { missing?
after including your lines with a specific graphics folder and file into subtle.rb and reloading it, there's no effect.

So, if e.g. you've got a view no. 2 called "sys", and want feh to display bg-image abc.jpg, what is that code supposed to be?

One more thing: how to run a proggie just on the actual view without being sticky or shown on the default view?

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#133 2011-03-20 15:51:37

unexist
Website

nexus7 wrote:
unexist wrote:
end

hmm... isn't there a { missing?
after including your lines with a specific graphics folder and file into subtle.rb and reloading it, there's no effect.

Oops right, the last curly brace is wrong.

system("feh --bg-center ~/images/#{v.name}.png")
end

This snippet just assumes you have background images that have the names of your views in ~/images.

nexus7 wrote:

One more thing: how to run a proggie just on the actual view without being sticky or shown on the default view?

Did you read the FAQ page that posted? Doesn't look like it. wink

E.g. with the launcher you can start apps like this

urxvt @viewname

and the app is tagged to be visible on the given view.

#134 2011-03-26 14:20:13

nexus7

cheers unexist!

switching wallpapers works, but I don't use it anymore, because subtle then freezes too often.

But ntl I've got some more questions:

(1) As I mentioned before, I'd like to open (several instances of the same) apps directly on the actual view, via 'grabs' or an 'open a terminal here'-function as in thunar. If they're not tagged, they go to the default view, but I don't like to push them around. So, isn't it possible just to define the actual view as the default one? --- This faq#2 doesn't seem to be the solution. Can't make use of the code shown there anyhow; tried it with copying in into subtle.rb as a snippet.

(2) Not all sublets are loaded. The 'arbi'-ones won't show up, like (a) Arbi_net or (b) Arbi_eth0_wlan0: while with (a) just nothing happens (though sur lists it), at (b) sur grumbles

$ sur install Arbi_eth0_wlan0
>>> Fetching sublet `arbi_eth0_wlan0-0.1a' (100%)
>>> ERROR: Following gems are missing: arbi (1.0.5)

But I did install the Arbi-gem before:

# gem install arbi
Successfully installed arbi-1.0.8.3
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for arbi-1.0.8.3...
Installing RDoc documentation for arbi-1.0.8.3...

Installing this as root means that it is usable for any user, right? Does then the different version no. make trouble..., so what?
((Finally I tried to fix this via installing the ruby-"bundle"-stuff as a user, what didn't succeed because of whatever missing or wrong password... tongue ))

Any ideas?

Last edited by nexus7 (2011-03-26 14:27:19)

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#135 2011-03-26 15:59:33

unexist
Website

Hi nexus7,

nexus7 wrote:

switching wallpapers works, but I don't use it anymore, because subtle then freezes too often.

I told you that I wouldn't recommend using that, I just told that it is possible. The freezes are probably related to this bug: http://subforge.org/issues/175 I must admint, I have still no idea what exactly causes this, even after reading so many articles about the topic. FUTEX are just odd. If anyone know a solution to that kind of problem I really would appreciate it!

nexus7 wrote:

(1) As I mentioned before, I'd like to open (several instances of the same) apps directly on the actual view, via 'grabs' or an 'open a terminal here'-function as in thunar. If they're not tagged, they go to the default view, but I don't like to push them around. So, isn't it possible just to define the actual view as the default one? --- This faq#2 doesn't seem to be the solution. Can't make use of the code shown there anyhow; tried it with copying in into subtle.rb as a snippet.

Since you can change the tagging it is possible, but will move all other clients that have the default tag to that view too, something like that does the trick:

grab "A-d" do
  current = Subtlext::View.current

Subtlext::View.all.each do |v|
    if(current == v)
      v.tag "default"
    else
      v.untag "default"
    end
  end
end
nexus7 wrote:

(2) Not all sublets are loaded. The 'arbi'-ones won't show up, like (a) Arbi_net or (b) Arbi_eth0_wlan0: while with (a) just nothing happens (though sur lists it), at (b) sur grumbles
Any ideas?

I don't have the time to check every sublet thoroughly and adding some kind of tests for sublets is still on my todo list. The arbi sublets are something I never even once used and I know in fact just the author using them. I guess the dependency version just needs exactly 1.0.5, since there is no comparison in the version string like <= 1.0.8.3

(My opinion about the arbi sublets is probably biased/subjective anyway.)

#136 2011-03-26 16:34:43

nexus7

thanks unexist smile

==> subtle freezing: I see... Well, in my beginner's opinion I just thought that loading the (colorful?) gfx file just lasts too long, so feh would conflict subtle. A solution would be a nice gimmick, but the wallpaper stuff is not that important to me --- since I prefer a productive system, I'm rather thinking about doing without them at all.

==> arbi-stuff: ...oh, but if I'm not totally dull, those arbi-sublets are yet the only ones tagged with #net, #ethernet or #eth0 (except ipaddr); are there any other sublets that are able to show wired net-traffic?

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#137 2011-03-26 21:13:12

unexist
Website

nexus7 wrote:

==> arbi-stuff: ...oh, but if I'm not totally dull, those arbi-sublets are yet the only ones tagged with #net, #ethernet or #eth0 (except ipaddr); are there any other sublets that are able to show wired net-traffic?

There is the netchart sublet that can display this kind of stuff too, this time I am the author. wink

#138 2011-03-26 23:23:16

nexus7

cheers smile

So I'll to wait until the new version of subtle is out:

$ sur install netchart
>>> ERROR: Need at least subtle >= 0.9.2634
>>> ERROR: Couldn't install sublet `netchart'
$ pacman -Qi subtle
Name           : subtle
Version              : 0.9.2573-2

(I prefer the vanilla one.)

NB: If only arbi's author uses these sublets, I wonder why there are so many downloads wink

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#139 2011-03-27 00:02:31

unexist
Website

nexus7 wrote:

So I'll to wait until the new version of subtle is out:
(I prefer the vanilla one.)

You are missing nice features like no flicker in panels anymore, but I know I need to release a new stable soon. I just lack a proper release cycle. wink

nexus7 wrote:

NB: If only arbi's author uses these sublets, I wonder why there are so many downloads wink

I just said no one uses, but probably many users tried to install them. tongue

#140 2011-04-09 15:24:26

ramonmaruko

When trying to use the notify sublet, I get the following error:

no such file to load -- ffi

But gem list returns the following:

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

activesupport (3.0.6)
archive-tar-minitar (0.5.2)
curb (0.7.15)
[b]ffi (1.0.7)[/b]
i18n (0.5.0)
mail (2.2.15)
mime-types (1.16)
polyglot (0.3.1)
rake (0.8.7)
shared-mime-info (0.1)
subtle-dynamic_icon (0.0.3)
subtle-graph (0.0.3)
treetop (1.4.9)

I'm using rvm, if that matters.

#141 2011-04-09 16:34:56

unexist
Website

ramonmaruko wrote:

When trying to use the notify sublet, I get the following error:

no such file to load -- ffi

I'm using rvm, if that matters.

Is the gem output from your system or your rvm ruby install? Generally subtle uses the ruby environment it was compiled in.

#142 2011-04-09 18:41:02

ramonmaruko

unexist wrote:

Is the gem output from your system or your rvm ruby install? Generally subtle uses the ruby environment it was compiled in.

All is working now after i restarted X. It seems that I have to restart whatever is called during the launch of X before subtle "sees" newly installed gems from rvm's ruby install. gem output was from rvm's ruby install.

#143 2011-04-09 19:01:21

unexist
Website

ramonmaruko wrote:

All is working now after i restarted X. It seems that I have to restart whatever is called during the launch of X before subtle "sees" newly installed gems from rvm's ruby install. gem output was from rvm's ruby install.

Right, the gempath is populated on start of the VM. This is normally no problem, just in this case. wink

#144 2011-04-19 01:35:19

hustletrees

hi i've been quietly using subtle for a while now and i am lovin it, no complaints whatsoever my only curiosity is how exactly do the escape sequences for the conky sublet work? i can't seem to get them to work, not sure what i'm missing.

while you home relaxed I'm squeezin Macs bustin off caps those coward cats with gold and platinum plaques get taxed and i do jooks and sling pies to make cream rise it's all about these green guys front and your whole team dies how i'm livin? so far swell you can't scar L head of the cartel sellin more cakes than Carvel

#145 2011-04-19 10:54:11

unexist
Website

hustletrees wrote:

hi i've been quietly using subtle for a while now and i am lovin it, no complaints whatsoever

Posts like that are highly welcome. big_smile

hustletrees wrote:

my only curiosity is how exactly do the escape sequences for the conky sublet work? i can't seem to get them to work, not sure what i'm missing.

The sublet is just a quick hack, it converts only icons and colors in following notation:

^i(/path/to.image.xbm/.xpm) => Subtlext::Icon
^fg(\#ffffff) => Subtlext::Color

Images must be either .xbm or .xpm and you need to escape the #. Maybe I will update the sublet later when I am finished with the style changes in the config.

Last edited by unexist (2011-04-19 10:54:26)

#146 2011-04-19 15:18:58

unexist
Website

I commited the new style system to the repo. If you are using subtle-hg from AUR make sure to read following news and run the migration script: http://subforge.org/news/38

#147 2011-04-19 19:11:20

hustletrees

alright thanks i'm lovin the new style system too. i'm trying to make a lil pacman sublet for myself where the number of updates is just read from a file and it seems to work fine but for some reason after the number there's like a little V over a T that takes up 1 character space. i'm not sure what could be causing it other than my lack of ruby experience maybe but the sublet itself is as basic as it gets so i'm not sure what's gone wrong. it didn't occur in previous forays into making a pacman sublet so i'm rather confused. any help would be appreciated. thanks again for such an awesome WM!
pictured here:
334hzz9_th.jpg

EDIT: excellent stuff man, that fixed the problem. i haven't experienced any crashes from it yet although when i tried to make a pacman sublet previously it did so hopefully everything is kosher now.

Last edited by hustletrees (2011-04-19 22:21:00)

while you home relaxed I'm squeezin Macs bustin off caps those coward cats with gold and platinum plaques get taxed and i do jooks and sling pies to make cream rise it's all about these green guys front and your whole team dies how i'm livin? so far swell you can't scar L head of the cartel sellin more cakes than Carvel

#148 2011-04-19 21:42:51

unexist
Website

hustletrees wrote:

alright thanks i'm lovin the new style system too. i'm trying to make a lil pacman sublet for myself where the number of updates is just read from a file and it seems to work fine but for some reason after the number there's like a little V over a T that takes up 1 character space. i'm not sure what could be causing it other than my lack of ruby experience maybe but the sublet itself is as basic as it gets so i'm not sure what's gone wrong. it didn't occur in previous forays into making a pacman sublet so i'm rather confused. any help would be appreciated. thanks again for such an awesome WM!
pictured here:
http://i53.tinypic.com/334hzz9_th.jpg

That looks like an unterminated string for me, tried to use String#chop to the end or your string to get rid of the last char? Also there is no pacman sublet for a good reason, using e.g. Kernel.system multiple times can cause subtle to be locked in a infinite FUTEX_LOCK. Currently there is no solution for that, it is even worth because I don't understand how that problem really happens.

See here: http://subforge.org/issues/175

Oh and you are welcome. smile

#149 2011-05-11 22:36:06

lchr
Website

I've had so much fun tinkering with Subtle, and I love the result. Tiling with gravities is amazing.

Thanks for this fantastic WM!

#150 2011-05-15 15:32:11

Arachnid92
Website

Hey guys, I really love subtle: I've been using it for the last month or so. But I have ONE annoying problem. Whenever I log in to subtle, my terminals (xterm, urxvt, gnome-terminal) start working oddly, and a lot of key combinations that should work, don't. For instance, Ctrl-C doesn't work, so I can't stop a command from running. It's really annoying, and because of that I've had to switch back to GNOME. Any suggestions to how I can fix that? (Before you ask, it REALLY is an issue with Subtle; I've tried a lot of other WM's (awesome, xmonad, wmfs, wmii, ion3, i3) and I have no problem with the terminals there... Just in subtle u.u )

Board footer