#1 2009-05-10 09:46:26

Kane

Kernel update mkinitcpio

Hi guys
I edited my mkinitcpio.conf so its looks like

#HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata usbinput keymap filesystems"
HOOKS="base keymap"

After a kernel update (kernel26 from pacman) i get:

>>> Generating initial ramdisk, using mkinitcpio.  Please wait...
==> Building image "default"
==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.29-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img
:: Begin dry run
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Parsing hook [keymap]
:: Generating module dependencies
:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26.img'...SUCCESS
==> SUCCESS
==> Building image "fallback"
==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.29-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26-fallback.img -S autodetect
:: Begin dry run
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Parsing hook [keymap]
:: Generating module dependencies
:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26-fallback.img'...SUCCESS
==> SUCCESS

Now i can see on the fallback image is skips autodetect ..... and only uses what is in mkinitcpio.conf .... now doesnt this just mean it is exactly the same as the "normal" non-fallback image?
Shouldnt the fallback image include all hooks so that you always have a working system?
If this isnt the case why is this shown on the pacman output?

Thanks

Last edited by Kane (2009-05-10 09:53:13)

#2 2009-05-10 10:40:00

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Kernel update mkinitcpio

The content of the initramfs images that are generated during a kernel install/upgrade is controlled by /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26.preset, and the default setting for the fallback image is to use the config for the normal image without autodetect. If you want a different config for your fallback, create it and specify it and in the preset file.

I agree that the default settings do not produce a fallback image with every possible driver in it, and afair that was the original intention. Check the bugtracker for any relevant posts - if you don't find anything, you could post a feature request.

Board footer