You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-11 07:21:00

calrefawena

Suddenly, locale stops working [SOLVED, sort of]

Until today, I had the locale en_GB.utf8 working fine, so it seems to be set everywhere it should be. Today, though, after a `pacman -Syu` (which didn't include glibc, which AFAICT is the relevant package), I get the 'Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale' message.

After running locale-gen (en_GB.utf8 being the only enabled locale), the message is no longer there, but now my locale is set to POSIX instead. And the LOCALE env variable is empty, even though it's in /etc/rc.conf and the locale-related startup messages are all normal...

So it looks to me like something is unsetting LOCALE at some point and POSIX is just the default. I have no idea what, though.

Running things as `LANG=en_GB.utf foo` works, for what difference that makes, but obviously I don't really want to do that for every single program. tongue

(Sorry for asking a locale question!)

edit: I just stuck `export LANG=en_GB.utf8` in my .{bash,zsh}rc files, which seems to work. Sorry for the noise, everyone. (If anyone knows the Real Solution, though, I'd still like to hear it. smile )

Last edited by calrefawena (2009-05-11 07:28:36)

#2 2009-05-11 08:17:29

FrozenFox
Website

Re: Suddenly, locale stops working [SOLVED, sort of]

I see you ran locale-gen, but does /etc/locale.gen have the correct entries uncommented? I don't see that anywhere in your post yikes

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-11 08:17:52)

#3 2009-05-11 16:19:26

kjon

Re: Suddenly, locale stops working [SOLVED, sort of]

jeez.
Just create a script on /etc/profile.d/ named zlocale.sh (remember to add a leading 'z' in order to be the last script to be processed on boot). Export your LC_ALL and problem solved.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

Board footer