You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-12 07:12:15

mgushee
Website

Flash [?] drive not appearing in /dev/disk/by-uuid

I'm not sure if "flash drive" is the correct term or not ... the filesystem I want to mount is on a Sansa c240 MP3 player (a refurbished unit I bought last week), which connects via USB. Now, I *can* mount the drive, and have been able to all along, but I would like to add a line in /etc/fstab, using the device name from /dev/disk/by-uuid, so I can mount the thing conveniently under my regular username. But the device is not listed in /dev/disk/by-uuid (I've checked many times over the last couple of days).

That's not how it started, though. When I first brought the thing home and plugged it in, it did appear in /dev/disk-by-uuid. But I ran into some difficulties, and in the course of trying to make the player play nice with Linux, I formatted the drive once or twice using the player's internal command--still no problem as long as I did that. But then, following somebody's recommendation, I ran mkfs.vfat on the partition under Linux ... and that seems to have coincided with the device's disappearing from /dev/disk/by-uuid.

Now, I gather that USB flash drives and such don't always have UUIDs, but this one apparently does:

# blkid /dev/sdc1
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="Sansa c240" UUID="CC07-5165" TYPE="vfat"

And, as you can see, the partition is definitely visible, and I can mount it as /dev/sd*1, and copy files to it. It also has an entry under /dev/disk/by-id, just not under /dev/disk/by-uuid. Any ideas why that might be, or what I can do about it?

TIA for any tips.

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#2 2009-05-13 13:25:49

mgushee
Website

Re: Flash [?] drive not appearing in /dev/disk/by-uuid

UPDATE:

I found out that instead of a line like:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/${THE_UUID}

in /etc/fstab, I can use

UUID=${THE_UUID}

So I can now mount the player in a convenient manner. Still, it is worrisome that the UUID fails to appear in /dev/disk/by-uuid. I'd still like to know what's going on there.

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#3 2010-01-20 20:38:32

rwd

Re: Flash [?] drive not appearing in /dev/disk/by-uuid

Sorry for the necrobumping..but I have the same problem on a headless server running the  2.6.31 kernel, and not just with  flashdrives  but any usb storage: I see the uuid with blkid, yet they don't show up in /dev/disk/by-uuid/ . I can mount them with /dev/sd[a-z][0-9] but I rather use uuids in my mount-scripts. Is there any solution other than making the symlinks in /dev/desk/by-uuid myself?

<edit>
solved it myself:
The cause was 'OPTIONS="last_rule"' that I added to some lines in a udev-rule file I made in /udev/rules.d/ for automounting usb drives based on the ones here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ude … SB_devices. After removing those parts both my udev rule gets executed and the links in /dev/disk/by-uuid are created when inserting a usb drive.

</edit?

Last edited by rwd (2010-01-20 21:37:23)

Board footer