You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-13 03:13:32

foucelhas

[SOLVED] kernel panic - no init found

Hello:

After my last system update, (including kernel) two problems appeared. First the magic files problem, solved with pacman -Qo, delleting and reinstalling (perhaps it has something to do with this problem). Second, this kernel panic when I restarted the pc.

failed to execute /init
kernel panic - no init found
specify init= (or something similar)

I get only these lines as error, before is the message of the freed kernel memory.

At the moment I tried with the solutions that I have find at the forum:
- Run with livecd, mount all (including boot, proc, sys, dev), chroot and

mkinitcpio -p kernel26

- Check if the partitions uuids are the correct ones in grub config.
- Check if I have the symlink to asm in the includes, that someone report on the arch news that could be conflictive (I have a folder there).
- Reinstall the kernel26, mkinitcpio, klibc, etc. all the stuff that I thought that could be related.
- Specify in grub config init=/sbin/init, and check if the file was there-> there was a new message saying that also failed to execute /sbin/init

The problem persists, and google doesn't helps and in the forum I can't find an answer neither. I don't know what else I can do, so all help will be apreciated smile

Thank you

PD: sorry for my English

SOLVED:

The problem was that mkinitcpio outputed an error with zgrep and I think that it wasn't changing nothing. I reinstalled gzip and no errors were reported, so the new ramdisk was created and now the system boots ok. The error with zgrep I think that it comes from my last upgrade, because I didn't have enough space and a lot of errors in a few packages appeared, the errors were cannot execute or file already exists in the system.

Thanks for the answers.

Last edited by foucelhas (2009-05-13 13:05:02)

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them
Isaac Asimov

#2 2009-05-13 04:29:54

fphillips

Re: [SOLVED] kernel panic - no init found

Checking /sbin/init is fine, but I think what you should rather do is check that init is present in the initrd image.

zcat /boot/kernel26.img > /tmp/image
cpio -t  < /tmp/image |grep init
8638 blocks
/bin/kinit
/bin/run-init
/init

Seems like the mkinitcpio should have cleared that up, though.

#3 2009-05-13 04:38:50

fphillips

Also, make sure you have the initrd path set right in menu.lst:

initrd /kernel26.img

Whether you have /boot in front of that or not depends on if you have a separate /boot partition (I do.)

Does booting the Fallback image work?

Last edited by fphillips (2009-05-13 04:46:45)

#4 2009-05-13 12:10:41

foucelhas

Seems init is present in the initrd image (very small image?):

1199 blocks
/bin/kinit
/bin/run-init
/init

The initrd path I think it's also correctly setted up:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/bfb12545-43dd-49de-9a70-c8ab9926181c resume=/dev/sda5 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/bfb12545-43dd-49de-9a70-c8ab9926181c ro
initrd /kernel26-fallback.img

I have one separate boot partition, as you say, sda2, and the filesystem/general partition is sda6. I tried to put this names instead the uuids too, but didn't worked.

The fallback image neither helped.

I also tried to check if the partitions are ok (sda2 and sda6), with xfs_check and xfs_repair (filesystem it's xfs).

Last edited by foucelhas (2009-05-13 12:16:12)

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them
Isaac Asimov

Board footer