You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-03 12:47:25

ovihc

wrong address with dhcp server

I'm a student at an university. my notebook computer has always worked fine when i connect it to the server so that i can use the internet. It's a dhcp server. All my settings are correct, since I haven't had any single problem connecting for the past 6 months.

Until las week, my computer gets the wrong address. I'm supposed to get 137.120.xxx.xxx, but instead i get 195.31.xxx.xxx  I stop the network manually, start it again, and everytime i get that same address. this has never happened before. sadly enough, i reboot to windows xp and i get the correct address there (i.e. 137.120.xxx.xxx) It's only when i use linux that the server gives me a wrong address.

What's wrong?

#2 2004-10-03 17:21:20

skoal
Website

Re: wrong address with dhcp server

ovihc wrote:

Until las week, my computer gets the wrong address. I'm supposed to get 137.120.xxx.xxx, but instead i get 195.31.xxx.xxx  I stop the network manually, start it again, and everytime i get that same address. this has never happened before. sadly enough, i reboot to windows xp and i get the correct address there (i.e. 137.120.xxx.xxx) It's only when i use linux that the server gives me a wrong address.

What's wrong?

I'll take a guess here, from what I know between the two OS's.

Since your IP address only changed recently within the last week, it's quite possible that Windows is still hanging on to your ISP's old DHCP server, for several reasons:

1. Your ISP may have recently added a new domain, but still part of your intranet.  The DHCP server on the old domain may not have released your IP yet, since a "release" has not been sent yet (see below).

2. WinX clients only send a "renew" every time they reboot, rather than sending a "release" then "renew" everytime the interface is started, as in Linux.  Your old DHCP server probably does not recognize requests from the domain you are currently on now, so, it's only a matter of time on your WinX client before it sends a "release" and it changes as well.

3. Or, if your notebook is usind a wireless connection, it may very well be that you found a stronger access point (AP), and the WinX client is still hanging on to the other access point, for reasons shown above or differences in wireless applications.  On my old wireless connection, the WinX box would always use a different AP than the one "iwconfig" seemed to like.

* I forget how to do this on a WinX box, but I think you can type "winipconfig" or "winipcfg" and send a "release"/"renew" there.  See if that doesn't change your IP address in Windows to match the one in Linux.

Board footer