You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-14 17:32:01

mohtasham1983

Why there's no decent video editting application on Linux?

Hi,

Today I was trying to create a simple video showing a picture with a background music using kino. After googling here and there, I figured out how to add a background sound. But when I tried to open my wav file, it was crashing. Then I had to use ffmpeg to convert my file to ogg. It wasn't able to open ogg. Then I converted it to mp3, but it wasn't able to find the duration.

Also, I had a hard time figuring out how to add a background picture for my music. After trying different combinations I got really tired of kino and tried to use pitivi. However, I didn't have much luck with that, either.

At this point, I recalled that I had vista which comes with windows movie maker. That is, I switched to windows and made my simple video immediately. I don't really care about people talking shit about windows movie maker, but I was able to make my simple video using it in one minute without googling.

#2 2009-05-14 18:16:12

Procyon

Re: Why there's no decent video editting application on Linux?

If it's just 1 image, you could try x11grab with ffmpeg with an image viewer. Maybe "-i audio.wav" at the same time works too.

#3 2009-05-14 20:00:30

mrunion
Website

kdenlive? cinelerra? All of them have their own issues, sure. To answer the original question of "why there's no decent video editing application on Linux?": 1) "decent" is relative to the user, and 2) no one has developed anything to suit your liking yet I guess.

I'm sure many would appreciate the same kind of app you're hunting for, so if you've got some spare time and are a dev, maybe you could contribute something? (And I'm NOT being a smart a**, just rendering suggestions!)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#4 2009-05-14 21:39:16

linkmaster03

I agree, video editing on Linux seems like a big mess right now. (no offense to any devs, I couldn't do any better)

#5 2009-05-14 23:08:29

mohtasham1983

I wish companies like Mozilla, Google, etc sponsored a big open source project for this. In my experience, when there's a big company behind an open source project, the result is more reliable.

#6 2009-05-17 14:20:37

jorpheus

And how many programs did you try? I recently tested Kino, Avidemux and Cinelerra, and found Kino by far the worst. I'd recommend Avidemux to any casual user. As for Cinelerra, it's a professional video editing application.

So, what do you people find messy? Avidemux is suitable for tasks you'd accomplish using that castrated piece of shit that is Windows Movie Maker, and for a lot of those you'd accomplish using VirtualDub as well.  Cinerlerra you'd use if you were trying to find a replacement for Adobe or Apple.
I think the problem here remains the same as with GNU/Linux vs. Windows - some dogs don't wanna learn new tricks.

#7 2009-05-17 16:42:24

kumyco
Website

if that's ally you want to do, then ffmpeg(and mencoder) is prolly a lot easier .. in its simplest form -r=fps

ffmpeg -loop_input -r 25 -i [image] -i [audio] [out.avi]

Board footer