You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-15 10:01:29

StaticPhilly

[Answered] Couple of questions on packages and boot screens

Hello,

OK, correct me if im wrong...

from my understanding arch Linux is designed to give users the choice of what to do (true Linux style unlike other distros these days,,,)

basically, what i am after is an distro with a package manager that dose not require un-wanted packages for everything.
For example,
In fedora 10, if i want to install Firefox i must have a load of gnome packages.... I don't use gnome so isn't this just wasting my space? you should see my file system after, gnome folders everywhere!

So, anyway here are my questions...

Question: What kind of package management dose arch Linux have?
Answer: Pacman

Question: Dose the package manager include common software such as Firefox?
Answer: Yes

Question: Can I edit the boot screens so they have nice graphical screens, for example like RHGB (now Plymouth)
Answer: Yes

thanks
Philly

Last edited by StaticPhilly (2009-05-15 10:21:05)

Lightweight software dose not mean less! It just means you have to get your finger out and make it do and look like you want!

#2 2009-05-15 10:12:02

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [Answered] Couple of questions on packages and boot screens

Hi,

The wiki is a good place to start and will answer all your questions.

In short:
pacman
yes
yes

#3 2009-05-15 10:18:22

StaticPhilly

hello Allan,

thanks for the answers, im off to wiki now to do some more reading, just wanted to know before I went searching wiki for nothing wink

cheers,
Philly

Lightweight software dose not mean less! It just means you have to get your finger out and make it do and look like you want!

#4 2009-05-15 11:06:01

Allan
Pacman
Website

Let us know if you need further clarification.  Welcome to Arch!

#5 2009-05-15 12:09:41

yngwin

StaticPhilly wrote:

from my understanding arch Linux is designed to give users the choice of what to do (true Linux style unlike other distros these days,,,)

basically, what i am after is an distro with a package manager that dose not require un-wanted packages for everything.

You may want to look at Gentoo then. Its useflag feature cuts down on unwanted dependencies.

#6 2009-05-15 13:06:39

thisperishedmin

as a rule of thumb, the dependencies are called dependencies for just that reason...the program depends on their presence for functionality.  While you may be able to cut down on some of these, it just seems like asking for trouble in my opinion...that said I have yet to try out Gentoo.

If you want lighter software with fewer dependencies the best choice is, in my opinion, finding alternative software.  Midori is a relatively light web browser as an alternative...although I believe it uses some QT dependencies to function...

My point is - a package may be unwanted by you, but it may be a necessity for the software.  While I'm sure you could trim some out...I can't help but wonder if it is worthwhile in configuration time and agony down the road...

otherwise, enjoy the wiki =P

#7 2009-05-15 13:22:21

StaticPhilly

things like QT I don't mind at all as there are many applications that require them

how ever, what I do have a problem with is when, something requires a package that has nothing to do with the software itself but the rather the custom 'rubbish' that whatever distro decided to add.

Lets say, bookmarks that then depend on gnome... ummm... rather stupid if you ask me.
Its mainly the window managers that annoy me. If you wanted to use say KDE then I would ask for it to be installed, Not to be forced to have it installed because an X application depends on it just for bookmarks or whatever customization they have added.

Last edited by StaticPhilly (2009-05-15 13:23:06)

Board footer