You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-16 02:45:48

lolilolicon

wmii, programs at launch with predefined layout

Hi, I'm new to tiling WMs, and by now I've tried my second, wmii 3.6-1.

I like the way wmii looks.the label bar/status bar with customizable colors.The status bar, especially, you can define as many sections as you wish, just create them down /rbar/. With "echo $xxCOLORS | wmiir create /rbar/xxbar", you can have sections with different background colors in your status bar.
And the stack mode of wmii brings quite some convenience.
OK, let me talk about what pisses me off a little. I just don't understand, why, why is the deference between column and row? I mean horizonal split and vertical split are treated differently in wmii.
I find one may-be-good-for-someone thing it brings: Maximized mode just maximizes window to this column, while only fullscreen mode maximizes it to fullscreen.But, it brings shit here in fullscreen mode: press Modkey+f,it goes fullscreen; press Modkey+f again, you don't come back! my terminals are messed up.
I'm using bash in my wmiirc config file.I just don't know ruby, or lua and stuff, and don't think using bash wouldn't do it.Anyway, I am asking for just something really simple! I'm trying to get three urxvts started at wmii startup, with a predefined layout: two columns, the left split into two parts, one taking 70% the other 30%. what I've achieved now is: two columns, the left split into two parts,each taking 50%.And I achieved it in a stupid way.I added in wmiirc:

# Programs at launch
eval $WMII_TERM &
eval $WMII_TERM &
eval $WMII_TERM &
### wait... :-\
sleep 2 
#send the selected window to right column
echo send sel right | wmiir write /tag/sel/ctl
#focus to column 1 window 1
echo select 1 1 | wmiir write /tag/sel/ctl

sleep 2 to make sure all three terms have appeared. Which mean extra 2 seconds delay of startup.
and in the left column, two windows are taking equal space, which is the default wmii behavior,and i don't know a way to make it 7:3. In musca it's really simple to do with vsplit 70%. I don't think wmii can't do it with ease..How do yo do it?

Another thing I'm thinking about it that, as wmii uses some filesystem, It shouldn't be hard to save it when quit, and mount it again next startup, just like session saving and restore. Anyone knows it?

By the way, I noticed '$ ps -e | grep wmii' returns multi instances of wmii (2) and wmiirc (7)

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#2 2009-05-16 04:17:18

lolilolicon

Re: wmii, programs at launch with predefined layout

I rebooted. Started wmii. Wait. and what?
Damn. three terms in ONE column.
Plus this:

$ ps -e | grep wmii
 3348 ?        00:00:00 wmii
 3386 ?        00:00:00 wmiirc
 3388 ?        00:00:00 wmii
 3425 ?        00:00:00 wmiirc
 3426 ?        00:00:00 wmiirc
 3471 ?        00:00:00 wmiirc
 3472 ?        00:00:00 wmiirc
 3473 ?        00:00:00 wmiirc
 3525 ?        00:00:00 wmiir
 3526 ?        00:00:00 wmiirc

Seems eveytime I add a new window wmiirc adds one.
i'm not going to try wmii-ruby, since the author of 'wmii-lua' says it is power consuming.
i'm not going to yaourt -S wmiirc-lua-git, since it's too bleeding-edge with some bleeding-edge dependencies. Pacman won't like it. So I won't.

Since musca, in my opinion, looks a little shabby (maybe there's way to make it look better?) and so does dwm.(i want the pretty bars... as mentioned in my first post) ... I want try something else than those if i decide to drop wmii...

What do you recommend ?

#3 2009-05-16 13:11:03

lolilolicon

Re: wmii, programs at launch with predefined layout

OK, dwm is great! and pretty! Never mind wmii. :-p

Board footer