You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-17 13:06:09

SpeedVin

[Solved] Kernel compilation newbie questons.

Hello
That will be my first kernel compilation and i have few questions.
1.When i compile kernel from this(http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ker … sers_Guide) tortial i havo to do this:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVI … tom_kernel
2.When i compile modules to kernel there are diffrence when i have them as modules (lsmod)?
Thanks for anserws.
And I'm sorry for that questions.

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-05-19 12:13:48)

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#2 2009-05-17 13:27:16

EVRAMP
Website

Re: [Solved] Kernel compilation newbie questons.

Hi SpeedVin,
1. you must recompile nvidia driver if you are planning to use custom kernel.
You can do this by either using ABS or with yaourt -Sb command. The link you posted to wiki says it right.

2. When compiling drivers directly into kernel, they will make size of kernel bigger, but udev will not spend so much time autoloading them. The best practise is to have all needed modules compiled in kernel and turned autoloading modules off in /etc/rc.conf. Be aware, that not all modules are loaded when lsmod - e.g. when you plug in USB disk, udev loads needed modules (usb_storage, correct coding, etc.).

And last but no least, i can't get why is wiki giving advise to compile kernel like 10 years ago. If I were you, I would NOT choose this way. It is much easier to compile kernel with ABS, or with yaourt -Sb. All you need is to edit PKGBUILD and uncomment one of these lines:

#make menuconfig # CLI menu for configuration
  #make xconfig # X-based configuration
  #make oldconfig # using old config from previous kernel version

I am a happy user of xconfig menu smile (you need Qt3 package to use xconfig).
Configure your kernel as you need, save config file and exit configuration, compilation goes on and after 30-50min you have your kernel ready to install.
If you want a save option you can also edit and uncomment # pkgname=kernel26-custom to have your kernel alongside with -ARCH stock kernel. Note, that you must also edit nvidia's PKGBUILD if you want to use it this way.

I think this way will save you lot of time and the result is better, but it's up to you of course.

#3 2009-05-17 13:37:19

SpeedVin

Re: [Solved] Kernel compilation newbie questons.

Thanks for anserw EVRAMP ,then i have to install ABS (I don't work with him).
I don't use udev hook in mkinitcpio or modules_autoload in rc.conf i just compile all modules I need to the kernel by (mkinitcpio).

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-05-19 12:12:05)

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

Board footer