You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-17 20:56:34

rodland
Website

[Solved]Wacom Bamboo didn't work anymore after upgrading

Hi,

I recently upgrade my system to kernel 2.6.29 and xorg 1.6.1, since that, my wacom bamboo tablet didn't work anymore. I've tried with linuxwacom, linuxwacom-dev and linuxwacom-cvs avaliable from AUR, without success. I've tried with xorg hotplug and without it. But always the same, the tablet is detected well, xorg load the drivers successfully, gimp detects it, but it doesn't work.  The /dev/input/wacom is created well, but when I "do a cat" to that file, it doesn't show anything. Are the linuxwacom drivers broken? I've readed other people in this forum with similar problems, but their solutions doesn't work for me...

Last edited by rodland (2009-05-30 18:52:02)

#2 2009-05-18 18:05:52

rodland
Website

Re: [Solved]Wacom Bamboo didn't work anymore after upgrading

Now, the tablet seems to work but only with the wacom driver included in the kernel and disabling the hotplug in xorg.conf. It works in relative mode and I'm unable to configure it, nevertheless, it's better than nothing...

#3 2009-05-23 11:02:36

TheGrudge
Website

Same here, but it think it was not the Xorg update for the first time, but something else. I did my update two days ago and unfortunately my pacman.log is not valid, because I had to do a backup of my /var partition which killed the pacman.log.
Since this update (maybe HAL?) my Wacom tablet doesn't do anything. I can see from the console messages that the driver is loaded, but that's it. No movement, no key pressure, nothing is working.
I recompiled linuxwacom-dev from AUR, but it doesn't help. I don't understand what is wrong, I have a device at /dev/input/wacom, I have the drivers loaded, HAL seems to load it when I plug the Wacom into the computer.
One thing I noticed is that when I unplug the Wacom, the Xserver crashes (not everytime, but quite often).
Somehow I'm very disappointed since 3 weeks with my system. I don't blame Archlinux for sure smile But the last KDEmod 4.2.3 update left me with an unusable KMail and other problems. I now switched to the normal KDE package from extra, which seems to work better, at least KMail is working again.
And now my Wacom is not working anymore, damn. I don't know why but every Xorg update breaks my whole system, don't have this with other software, only X.
Is it me or do they really change so much stuff every time that nothing works anymore?
For me X is the really annoying part in Linux. I love Linux and use it for 9 years now, but every X update makes me cry (:-)) and angry. Either I have bigger / smaller fonts after an update, ugly fonts, no screen, crashes, no Wacom, touchpad problems and so on.
When I get my Wacom running again, I think I will put xorg into the IgnoreGroup.

Last edited by TheGrudge (2009-05-23 11:04:10)

digiKam developer - www.digikam.org

#4 2009-05-30 18:51:48

rodland
Website

The kernel module included in linuxwacom is broken and, by default, linuxwacom AUR packages overwrite the wacom driver included in the kernel. Now I've installed wacomlinux-dev from AUR, i removed the wacom.ko module (/lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko) installed. Later, I reinstall the kernel26 package to recover the original wacom module from the kernel. And voilà! my wacom bamboo works again better than ever!

Board footer