You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-18 09:20:12

mahan_h

Shortcut key for KDE system tray application

Consider applications like pidgin, amarok, Kmixer and ....
I have to click on their icon on the system tray to reactivate their GUIs.
Can anybody tell me how to define a customized shortcut key for this action to happen?
Please note that this is reactivation not running the application again.
Also, note that I specifically need their GUIs to show up again, not performing an action in their abilities
like show up amarok GUI (Toggle Main Window) rather than pausing/playing a music

Last edited by mahan_h (2009-05-18 09:35:51)

#2 2009-05-18 12:13:01

alecmg

Re: Shortcut key for KDE system tray application

Good question and I repeat it for xfce

Xyne wrote:
"We've got Pacman. Wacka wacka, bitches!"

#3 2009-05-18 13:41:18

Primoz

mahan_h wrote:

Consider applications like pidgin, amarok, Kmixer and ....
I have to click on their icon on the system tray to reactivate their GUIs.
Can anybody tell me how to define a customized shortcut key for this action to happen?
Please note that this is reactivation not running the application again.
Also, note that I specifically need their GUIs to show up again, not performing an action in their abilities
like show up amarok GUI (Toggle Main Window) rather than pausing/playing a music

You can set a hot-key in menu editor, if a certain app is already started in tray it will show that instance. Tested on Amarok and KMail.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#4 2009-05-19 03:44:47

mahan_h

You can set a hot-key in menu editor, if a certain app is already started in tray it will show that instance. Tested on Amarok and KMail.

Wrong, this will cause that application to run again and again, in many cases you will have many duplicates on your tray.

#5 2009-05-19 06:03:49

Intrepid

Many of these applications have their own Hotkeys.  In KDE, use the applications' config dialogs or the following:

Kopete: usually Control-Shift-S.  You DO use Kopete right?  If not, use KHotkeys editor to make pidgin show up.  Pidgin by DEFAULT doesn't allow multiple instances to run, spawn by running pidgin.
Amarok: usually Control-Alt-P, at least in Amarok for KDE3, for KDE4 I'm unsure.
Rhythmbox: set in Gnome Preferences, use Xbindkeys, or spawn through Xfce Global Shortcuts/Khotkeys.  Done by running rhythmbox-client (confirmed).
Kmixer: ? do you have any kind of multimedia keys?  I'd suggest making use of volume up/down, MUCH more useful than opening up KMixer for on-the-fly adjustment.

Use Xbindkeys if you do not have any of these DEs.
Yes, I would also like to be able to use arrow keys to move through the system tray, but AFAIK it is impossible as of now.  The shortcut key for KDE's tray only allows you to browse notifications/jobs.

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-05-19 06:04:57)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#6 2009-05-19 09:02:43

Primoz

mahan_h wrote:

Wrong, this will cause that application to run again and again, in many cases you will have many duplicates on your tray.

That's strange.. KMail and Amarok didn't spawn for me...
I tried again and still. If i use a short-cut for KMail it will open a window of ti, and if I click on a try icon no new window will open... So it's the same.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#7 2009-05-19 09:23:24

mahan_h

Many of these applications have their own Hotkeys.  In KDE, use the applications' config dialogs

Yes, I know , but we're talking about many other non-famous applications residented on memory and system tray

Use Xbindkeys if you do not have any of these DEs.

Xbindkeys Launches shell commands with your keyboard or your mouse under X (not reactivating their GUIs)

#8 2009-05-20 02:25:46

Intrepid

Well mahan_h, you're mostly talking about Non-KDE programs, which lack support for spawning the main window.  The large/useful programs tend to be able to integrate well. Also, most useful programs have some kind of method to spawn their main windows using a command; just look at their manpages.  I can assure you that I can most likely advise you on how to do so.  For practicality's purpose, you may find that you really just want to use a tiling window manager!  Hence why--for now--using the correct command under X such as Xbindkeys.  Unless you want to program DBUS commands to reactivate GUI windows, using hotkeys is wise.

#9 2009-05-20 03:45:21

mahan_h

you're mostly talking about Non-KDE programs

Yes, indeed.

The large/useful programs tend to be able to integrate well

Yes, although in some cases like Ktorrent it does not work perfectly for me. (the hotkey can only hide the app)

why--for now--using the correct command under X such as Xbindkeys

are you sure that Xbindkeys does not run the app over and over?

Unless you want to program DBUS commands to reactivate GUI windows, using hotkeys is wise

Absolutely

#10 2009-05-20 03:52:20

Intrepid

Ok mahan_h give me some ideas of what programs you want to show the window.  I gave some examples of how they can be reactivated.  Really in my opinion we should talk to the folks at KDE about adding functionality to the tray.

Tested with Ktorrent: running ktorrent merely brings up the window.  Use a hotkey to hide ktorrent, make a custom one to run ktorrent.

#11 2009-05-20 04:38:53

mahan_h

give me some ideas of what programs you want to show the window

well, currently I need this for Shaman, MDic (multilingual dictionary for GNU), pidgin and limewire but I'm sure there are more that I can't remember right now.

Last edited by mahan_h (2009-05-20 04:55:30)

#12 2009-05-20 04:45:55

Intrepid

Ah!  Well, shaman has to be messed with through DBUS.  I do believe khotkeys or something in the kde system settings allows you to send DBus commands to applications.  The only trick is figuring out the dbus commands.  The user policies are in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/shaman.

Which languages? big_smile

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-05-20 04:47:38)

#13 2009-05-20 05:00:36

mahan_h

The user policies are in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/shaman

Thanx, I'll give it a try

Which languages?

Almost any language, since you can convert dictionaries and check'em all together in one front-end
the package can be found in AUR too.
also you can check this out: http://mdic.sourceforge.net/

Board footer