You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-18 22:33:06

tlawren

dvd problem

I am having some difficulties getting dvds to play in Arch. I have followed the wiki page on DVDs, but everytime I try to play a dvd I get an error stating, "The playback of this movie requires a DVD source plugin which is not installed." I have installed libdvdread, libdvdcss, and libdvdnav, and I am running mplayer. Is there something more that I need to install, like codecs?

#2 2009-05-18 22:49:14

windtalker

Re: dvd problem

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=71972

You may also have to select gl or gl2 for x11 compatible playback.
[It's the little wrench on the left of the player, then select video.]

#3 2009-05-19 01:18:57

tlawren

I changed to gl2 (and gl) and dvds play now, but the sound is not there. The sound did play once, but it was the Spanish version. In addition to no sound, the gmplayer starts to error continuously after about 10 seconds. The error is about too much cache in the buffer. I can't really read it because it is flashing. I eventually have to kill gmplayer.

#4 2009-05-19 01:56:11

windtalker

I use mplayer and vlc.
[gmplayer and kmplayer are supposed to be optimized for Gnome and KDE respectively.
In my case I've found mplayer outperforms kmplayer.
Can't say on gmplayer.]
I have the same things installed as you do and am not having any probs playing anything.
In mplayer you have other options by right clicking on the opened playing screen that you might try and audio is one of them.
Vlc has options that can be changed by clicking tools.
At times VLC will play things mplayer won't so you may try installing and trying it.
Normally if I do have any problems, I'll switch to the other player, but it's a rare occasion and then it's usually an old torrent I've downloaded.
Beyond that, I can't offer anything.
Perhaps others here have some idea's.

Board footer