You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-20 13:12:26

jimmi

HP 6510b freeze when I close the monitor

Hi,

I have a problem with a laptop HP 6510b [1] on which I installed KDE 4.3, that freeze most of the time I close the monitor. In the System Settings I excluded any action following the monitor closure.

Moreover if I close the monitor durign the shutdown, after the DE is closed, the latop also freeze with a lot of kernel crash messages.

Anybody has an idea of how to trace the problem?

Thanks in advance
Jimmi

[1]http://search.hp.com/query.html?search=++&qt=6510b

#2 2009-05-20 14:36:00

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: HP 6510b freeze when I close the monitor

This is a kernel problem. I had a 6510b too (and was very happy with it, it's a very sturdy laptop) but from a certain kernel on (I think it was around .26) someone upstream decided to swap some value from 0 to 1, because that seemed to suit most systems better - except for a few laptops amongst which is the 6510b wink. I'll have to hunt down my own post about this...

Anyway, it's not the monitor that you are closing - it's the lid wink. And google won't probably tell you a thing about this 'monitor' problem. What you need to do is drop this in your rc.local:

echo 1 > /proc/acpi/video/*/DOS

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-05-22 08:58:53

jimmi

B wrote:

What you need to do is drop this in your rc.local: ...

Thanks B, I'll give a try after reinstalling everything. A few days ago someone had the great idea to close the LID wink during a major upgrade and I ended up to have a kernel panic during boot up.

BTW I'm also happy with this laptop: everything works out of the box with Arch&KDE and I experienced very few problems, among which this is the worst.

#4 2009-06-08 11:32:04

jimmi

It took sometime but at the end I got back everything working, including your suggested change. Thanks!

#5 2009-09-18 05:18:31

jimmi

I must return on this issue for a weird problem. For different reasons I had to reinstall the machine completely and after the new installation when the boot sequence execute rc.local returns the error "no such file or directory". However at the end of the boot the file exists and from the console the command works well.

My daemons line in rc.conf is:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal cpufreq @network !netfs crond @cups bluetooth wicd)

I wonder if I should change something in the boot sequence but I cannot figure out what. Anybody has suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Jimmi

#6 2009-09-18 06:04:44

hw-tph

This is how I solved this:

I created the simplistic rc script /etc/rc.d/6510b with this content:

#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions
case "$1" in
    start)
    stat_busy "Applying 6510b video fix"
    # Sleep until we have X.org running
    sleep 10
    echo 1 > /proc/acpi/video/*/DOS
    stat_done
    ;;
    stop)
    stat_busy "Disabling 6510b video fix"
    echo 0 > /proc/acpi/video/*/DOS
    stat_done
    ;;
    restart)
    $0 stop
    sleep 1
    $0 start
    ;;
    *)
    echo "usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"  
esac
exit 0

Since this script waits for 10 seconds until X is running it would do no good unless it was executed in the background when loaded, so this is how it's loaded in /etc/rc.conf:

DAEMONS=(!network syslog-ng cpufreq netfs crond acpid hal wicd @sshd fam alsa @6510b)

The @ in front of the service name executes the service in the background.

This works for me.

Last edited by hw-tph (2009-09-18 06:07:53)

#7 2009-09-20 09:58:32

jimmi

This works for me too wink thanks hw-tph! And also has the side effect to work when resuming from suspend, before it was not cool

I have a couple of questions, if I may. Do you know who and when is creating the file during the boot sequence? I still wonder why before it was working and now not anymore.

Second, in the ArchWiki it is written that the acpid daemon could be left out from the DAEMONS line because it is triggered by the hal daemon, that works for me. Is there any benefit to include it before hal as you did?

Thanks again
Jimmi

#8 2009-09-20 19:38:54

hw-tph

I have a couple of questions, if I may. Do you know who and when is creating the file during the boot sequence? I still wonder why before it was working and now not anymore.

I haven't given it much thought or looked into it, but it appears this "file" is created when X starts. Hence the solution I came up with.

Is there any benefit to include it before hal as you did

I just added acpid to the DAEMONS array when I installed acpid to make sure it worked as expected, I hadn't installed X yet. So yeah, it might be time to remove it, and no - I don't know of any real world benefits. smile

#9 2009-09-21 07:17:01

Forum Fellow
Website

jimmi wrote:

This works for me too wink thanks hw-tph! And also has the side effect to work when resuming from suspend, before it was not cool

The kernel devs changed the setting, causing the hangup. I thought I had a link to it somewhere (I owned a 6510b before) but I seem to have lost it, if you want to get dirty, I think it was this kernel commit.

Second, in the ArchWiki it is written that the acpid daemon could be left out from the DAEMONS line because it is triggered by the hal daemon, that works for me.

If I'm not mistaken calling HAL will make HAL start dbus if it isn't running yet - but not the acpid daemon.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#10 2009-09-21 17:15:36

jimmi

B wrote:

If I'm not mistaken calling HAL will make HAL start dbus if it isn't running yet - but not the acpid daemon.

Sure starts acpid as well, at least on my machine tongue

#11 2009-09-21 18:14:23

Forum Fellow
Website

[stijn@hermes ~]$ grep acpi /etc/rc.d/hal 
    if [ -x /etc/rc.d/acpid ]; then
        ck_daemon acpid && /etc/rc.d/acpid start

You're right, another thing to yank out of DAEMONS smile.

Board footer