You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-21 18:50:23

WyoPBS
Website

Bluetooth for people without Bluetooth

The cascading dependencies have left me with a system that loads modules I have no need for.  Specifically, when I installed Evolution it required gnome-pilot (which I don't use because I don't have any kind of PDA), which in turn loaded bluez for bluetooth connections (which I don't use because I don't have a bluetooth).

I can't even find where the bluetooth module is getting loaded, because it's not configured in rc.conf's MODULES group at all.

Is there any way I can turn it off?

While I'm on the subject, I see ipv6 is also loading despite the fact that I do not have an ipv6 network adapter and make no mention of it in rc.conf.  How are all these modules automatically installing themselves, and how can I stop them?

peter b. steiger
cheyenne, wy

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#2 2009-05-21 18:57:10

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Bluetooth for people without Bluetooth

You could rebuild evolution without pilot support. Regarding the bluetooth kernel module, if it's autoloading as you describe, udev must be finding some reason to load it - blacklisting it should solve that.

For ipv6, read this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv … the_Module . Also, please note that there is no such thing as an "ipv6 network adapter" - ipv6 is enabled by default in the kernel, the wiki page above will help you turn it off.

#3 2009-05-24 21:52:39

WyoPBS
Website

tomk wrote:

You could rebuild evolution without pilot support. Regarding the bluetooth kernel module, if it's autoloading as you describe, udev must be finding some reason to load it - blacklisting it should solve that.

Groovy, thanks.

tomk wrote:

For ipv6, read this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv … the_Module . Also, please note that there is no such thing as an "ipv6 network adapter" - ipv6 is enabled by default in the kernel, the wiki page above will help you turn it off.

Ah, my mistake.  However, the page cited says:

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this page.

I guess I'll have to do some googling so I can learn enough to add content to that page tongue

peter b. steiger
cheyenne, wy

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#4 2009-05-24 23:26:06

tomk
Forum Fellow

URL fixed, try again.

#5 2009-05-29 17:43:51

WyoPBS
Website

Perfect, thanks.  Just out of curiosity, what causes the kernel to autoload some modules (like ipv6) when they aren't explicitly enabled in modprobe.conf or rc.conf?

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#6 2009-06-03 15:15:30

feralert

WyoPBS wrote:

Perfect, thanks.  Just out of curiosity, what causes the kernel to autoload some modules (like ipv6) when they aren't explicitly enabled in modprobe.conf or rc.conf?

Not really answering your question but about ipv6 module and AFAIK from kernel version 2.6.29 onwards the ipv6 module is compiled in the kernel itself (and not as an external module) so the trick from the wiki page wont work, and you have to recompile the kernel to get rid of it.

#7 2009-06-03 15:38:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

feralert - incorrect. ipv6 is compiled as a module in the Arch stock kernel package:

$ modinfo ipv6
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko
alias:          net-pf-10
license:        GPL
description:    IPv6 protocol stack for Linux
author:         Cast of dozens
depends:        
vermagic:       2.6.29-ARCH SMP preempt mod_unload 
parm:           disable:Disable IPv6 such that it is non-functional (int)

Board footer