You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-23 21:24:30

anti-destin

just installed arch, lots of cryptic errors

1. logitech mx5000 bluetooth mouse. when i type 'hidd --connect' and the address, i get:

Can't get device information: Connection timed out

how can i connect it?

2. midori errors. when i load midori, i get several 'gtk-warning' errors in the terminal window, e.g., 'error loading theme icon'. how do i fix these errors?

also, i don't like the default keyboard shortcuts. is there any way i change these, maybe globally? e.g., i'd rather use ctrl + tab and ctrl + shift + tab to change tabs.

3. wireless setup. i've installed the driver and wicd, but when i type 'wicd-client -n' to load it, i get a whole bunch of lines:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 50, in <module>
        import wicd.gui as gui
dbus.exception.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files

how can i set up my wireless simply and quickly with a gui?

4. when i load pcmanfm, i get an error:

GTK+ icon theme is not properly set

what is an xsettings manager?

i still have other questions, but i thought i should try to get these resolved first.

5. also, is there a 'control panel' like in windows where i can edit all the system settings, e.g., touchpad, user accounts, etc.?

Last edited by anti-destin (2009-05-23 21:26:59)

#2 2009-05-24 11:53:27

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: just installed arch, lots of cryptic errors

1) i don't use bluetooth, so can't help you with that

2 / 4) it seems you have no default icon theme installed yet, for instance

pacman -S hicolor-icon-theme

then you need to set it as default theme, see point 5

3) wicd is a client-server model which needs a running daemon:

sudo /etc/rc.d/wicd start

be aware that you also need to have hal and dbus installed + running to use wicd

5) that depends on which desktop environment you are using:

considering you seem to be just starting out with linux/arch, it would recommend installing either gnome or xfce4, which will make these tasks a lot easier for your. gnome is the most newbie-friendly, xfce4 is a bit more minimal and will require more work from your side. if you do decide to go for a more 'hardcore' setup right away (i.e. windowmanager-only), be prepared to get your hands dirty and spend a lot of time trying and figuring things out. most of the questions you ask are quite basic, and would be easy to find out yourself by digging through the wiki and the forums.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer