You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-24 02:59:08

leo2501

[SOLVED] wanna reinstall and keep an older xorg

that's the thing i will reinstall (or downgrade the needed packages), and i want to know which packages i need to specify to pacman to not upgrade so i can use the newest packages, but without needing to upgrade Xorg-server and intel drivers.

I think that the package list will be:

xorg-apps
xorg-font-utils
xorg-server
xorg-server-utils
xorg-utils
xorg-xkb-utils

maybe there're more packages, not sure if the latest kernel need the newest Xorg, hope not, if so, i'll sacrifice the bleeding edge for a usable computer.

And please, dont post posible solutions to the problem with intel cards because i SWEAR that i did test EVERYTHING that i can encounter in EVERY post in EVERY forum (linux distro's+BSD's) about the crashes, inestability, unresponsiveness, hard locks and not starting X's, and I tryed everything, from grub kernel line's to xorg.conf removal/settings, and the problem persist... so the ONLY solution will be to downgrade all the packages.

(I tested SLAX because i needed to use the VGA output of my msi wind, and Xorg worked flawlessly, it had an older Xorg and a old kernel, don't remember what version exactly.

this post reminds me this site, lol... www.oldversion.com - "because newer not always means better"

Last edited by leo2501 (2009-06-07 13:44:06)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#2 2009-05-25 09:14:44

grey

Re: [SOLVED] wanna reinstall and keep an older xorg

Wouldn't pacman handle this for you? If the depends/makedepends entries in the PKGBUILDs are correct, then if you tell pacman to ignore the latest versions of intel drivers and xorg-server, it will not upgrade to anything that depends on these latest versions.

You'll have to go through a few iterations the first time, because instead of doing the upgrade it can safely do without touching the IgnorePkg pacman will give you a 'cannot resolve' error and exit, but I don't think you have to go through that loop too often.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2009-05-25 10:20:45

paulez

Your case is strange because I am also using Arch on a MSI Wind and I have never encountered the kind of problem you described, and I am using the latest beta intel driver with KMS.

Last edited by paulez (2009-05-25 10:20:55)

#4 2009-05-25 12:28:39

leo2501

@paulez: yes, it's weird, you have the latest version too? too strange it haven't the same behavior hmm
@grey: Thank you i'll try that!

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

#5 2009-05-25 12:31:06

Allan
Pacman
Website

The problem is...  where are you getting these old xorg/intel drivers from?

#6 2009-05-25 13:40:43

leo2501

lol, yes i lately considered that, so im looking forward to get freebsd on this machine, right now im looking for a way to have the ISO in my usb pendrive

#7 2009-05-25 13:59:04

grey

Allan: the arch rollback machine

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=557181

has xorg-server 1.4.2. I believe a lot of systems had problem starting with 1.5.*

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#8 2009-05-25 16:58:24

paulez

leo2501 wrote:

@paulez: yes, it's weird, you have the latest version too? too strange it haven't the same behavior hmm

I have the 2.7.99.1 version but i didn't noticed problem with previous 2.7 and 2.6 versions. Maybe you should look on a hardware problem ?

#9 2009-05-25 17:18:54

leo2501

@paulez: i don't think so, because SLAX works flawlessly, i need to look what drivers/xorg it's using smile

#10 2009-06-07 13:42:36

leo2501

Well, finally.. i reinstalled arch yesterday and spent a couple of hours playing with ARM arch rollback machine (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=557181) so here is what i did...

1. installed everything with archlinux-2009.02-core-i686.img (it would have been better to use archlinux-2008.06-core-i686.img, but i had trouble with kernel<=2.6.27 and the ethernet and wifi drivers of my msi wind netbook rtl8101 and rtl8187se)
2. edited /etc/pacman.conf to point to ARM:

#
# /etc/pacman.conf
#
# See the pacman.conf(5) manpage for option and repository directives

#
# GENERAL OPTIONS
#
[options]
# The following paths are commented out with their default values listed.
# If you wish to use different paths, uncomment and update the paths.
#RootDir     = /
#DBPath      = /var/lib/pacman/
#CacheDir    = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
#LogFile     = /var/log/pacman.log
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc
# If upgrades are available for these packages they will be asked for first
#SyncFirst   = pacman
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/curl %u > %o
#CleanMethod = KeepInstalled

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
#IgnorePkg   = xf86-video-intel xorg-apps xorg-font-utils xorg-fonts-100dpi xorg-fonts-alias xorg-fonts-encodings xorg-fonts-misc xorg-res-utils xorg-server xorg-twm xorg-utils xorg-xinit xorg-xkb-utils intel-dri libxxf86dga libxxf86misc xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-joystick xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse xf86-video-fbdev xf86-video-vesa xf86dgaproto xf86driproto xf86miscproto xf86vidmodeproto libgl mesa glproto libdrm libxau xproto libxdmcp xcb-proto libxcb kbproto inputproto bigreqsproto libx11 xextproto fixesproto libxfixes renderproto libxrender libxcursor libxkbfile libpng freetype2 fontconfig libxft libfontenc libxext libice libsm libxt libxmu libxpm printproto libxp libxau fontsproto libxfont libxi recordproto libxtst xineramaproto libxinerama videoproto libxv dmxproto libdmx libxkbui libxxf86vm xcursor-themes xkeyboard-config fontcacheproto libxfontcache liblbxutil randrproto libxrandr trapproto libxtrap mcpp xtrans xorg-server-utils pixman xbitmaps xorg-xauth damageproto libxdamage gtk gtk2 pygtk cairo cairo-perl cairomm ghostscript gtk-engines gtk-xfce-engine gtkmm libglade libglademm librsvg pango poppler poppler-glib epdfview pycairo xulrunner firefox pango-perl gtk2-perl gconf sdlmame xcb-util startup-notification
#IgnoreGroup =

#NoUpgrade   =
#NoExtract   =

# Misc options (all disabled by default)
#NoPassiveFtp
#UseSyslog
ShowSize
#UseDelta
TotalDownload

#
# REPOSITORIES
#   - can be defined here or included from another file
#   - pacman will search repositories in the order defined here
#   - local/custom mirrors can be added here or in separate files
#   - repositories listed first will take precedence when packages
#     have identical names, regardless of version number
#   - URLs will have $repo replaced by the name of the current repo
#
# Repository entries are of the format:
#       [repo-name]
#       Server = ServerName
#       Include = IncludePath
#
# The header [repo-name] is crucial - it must be present and
# uncommented to enable the repo.
#

# Testing is disabled by default.  To enable, uncomment the following
# two lines.  You can add preferred servers immediately after the header,
# and they will be used before the default mirrors.
#[testing]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[core::2008-8-18]
# Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
Server = http://arm.kh.nu/$repo/os/i686

[extra::2008-8-18]

[community::2008-8-18]

# An example of a custom package repository.  See the pacman manpage for
# tips on creating your own repositories.
#[custom]
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

3. installed all needed packages as always.
4. edited /etc/pacman.conf:

#
# /etc/pacman.conf
#
# See the pacman.conf(5) manpage for option and repository directives

#
# GENERAL OPTIONS
#
[options]
# The following paths are commented out with their default values listed.
# If you wish to use different paths, uncomment and update the paths.
#RootDir     = /
#DBPath      = /var/lib/pacman/
#CacheDir    = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
#LogFile     = /var/log/pacman.log
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc
# If upgrades are available for these packages they will be asked for first
#SyncFirst   = pacman
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/curl %u > %o
#CleanMethod = KeepInstalled

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = xf86-video-intel xorg-apps xorg-font-utils xorg-fonts-100dpi xorg-fonts-alias xorg-fonts-encodings xorg-fonts-misc xorg-res-utils xorg-server xorg-twm xorg-utils xorg-xinit xorg-xkb-utils intel-dri libxxf86dga libxxf86misc xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-joystick xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse xf86-video-fbdev xf86-video-vesa xf86dgaproto xf86driproto xf86miscproto xf86vidmodeproto libgl mesa glproto libdrm libxau xproto libxdmcp xcb-proto libxcb kbproto inputproto bigreqsproto libx11 xextproto fixesproto libxfixes renderproto libxrender libxcursor libxkbfile libpng freetype2 fontconfig libxft libfontenc libxext libice libsm libxt libxmu libxpm printproto libxp libxau fontsproto libxfont libxi recordproto libxtst xineramaproto libxinerama videoproto libxv dmxproto libdmx libxkbui libxxf86vm xcursor-themes xkeyboard-config fontcacheproto libxfontcache liblbxutil randrproto libxrandr trapproto libxtrap mcpp xtrans xorg-server-utils pixman xbitmaps xorg-xauth damageproto libxdamage gtk gtk2 pygtk cairo cairo-perl cairomm ghostscript gtk-engines gtk-xfce-engine gtkmm libglade libglademm librsvg pango poppler poppler-glib epdfview pycairo xulrunner firefox pango-perl gtk2-perl gconf sdlmame xcb-util startup-notification
#IgnoreGroup =

#NoUpgrade   =
#NoExtract   =

# Misc options (all disabled by default)
#NoPassiveFtp
#UseSyslog
ShowSize
#UseDelta
TotalDownload

#
# REPOSITORIES
#   - can be defined here or included from another file
#   - pacman will search repositories in the order defined here
#   - local/custom mirrors can be added here or in separate files
#   - repositories listed first will take precedence when packages
#     have identical names, regardless of version number
#   - URLs will have $repo replaced by the name of the current repo
#
# Repository entries are of the format:
#       [repo-name]
#       Server = ServerName
#       Include = IncludePath
#
# The header [repo-name] is crucial - it must be present and
# uncommented to enable the repo.
#

# Testing is disabled by default.  To enable, uncomment the following
# two lines.  You can add preferred servers immediately after the header,
# and they will be used before the default mirrors.
#[testing]

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
#Server = http://arm.kh.nu/$repo/os/i686

[extra]

[community]

# An example of a custom package repository.  See the pacman manpage for
# tips on creating your own repositories.
#[custom]
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

5. pacman -Syu

and yes... i had to manually overcome the dependency hell... one by one, lol tongue but now i have a bledding edge system without the latest xorg + intel drivers and all their deps

#11 2009-06-07 21:16:59

sokuban

Wow, good job!

I am very tempted to do this. (Though also very scared I'll screw something up.) This summer I'll be leaving the country (and my computer behind), so when I come back in September would be a good time to do it (if the driver is /still/ broken) since either way I'll have a big job to do. (Or is -Syuing after a couple months of inactivity a simple process? I dunno, but there will probably be tons of config files to edit.)

But I just have a question: What did you do in step 3? As in, what are the "needed packages"? I'm assuming/hoping you only installed the "needed packages" and didn't -Syu the whole system to the ARM. (Because if you -Syu'd the whole system down, then you can't have ext4 or you would need to upgrade to ext4 which is a pain I'd like to avoid. I'm sure there are other things.)

Also, assuming you don't -Syu the whole system down then, do you really need to reinstall to do this? I'm thinking of just pointing to ARM on my current install, and going from there. (I have so many little fixes all over my computer. If I were to reinstall I would lose all the ones I forgot about and it would annoy me.)

I'm also asking this because I think they are planning to delete packages more than a year old from the ARM repos, so I want to grab the needed packages now if I plan to do this in Sept. //EDIT: I misread. This is not the case.

Or wait, back on the kernel thing. Since the old driver uses TTM wouldn't that mean you need an old kernel as well? Removing the possibility of ext4 completely.

Last edited by sokuban (2009-06-07 21:35:31)

#12 2009-06-07 23:03:31

leo2501

mmm well, i did a reinstall, because i needed to "clean" a few things in my previous installation, and now for example i can manage to setup netcfg from the ground up and not depend on wicd anymore, and yes, i installed everything first from the repo, because there a a looooot of deps between different apps that relates to the version of Xorg you're using, so for example the gtk apps didnt install if you dont have a specific newer version, so you need to install them with ARM, and then, with everything installed from ARM, you -Syu and ONE by ONE, add the packages that wanted newer versions to Ignorepkg, the thing is that i already done it and i posted it there smile

and i didnt Ignorepkg the kernel, i have the newer one, but when i install, i don't choose ext4, im with ext3 all over the disk, because i like it and never died on me, but i encounter a couple of ext4 disaster posts that i never saw in ext3, didnt know about the technical specs or if its better or the "why's" of why its better, i prefer a more stable system instead of the bleeding edginess on some things, now im using my VGA output smile and no freezes so far, in a little more time ill will try play videos and opengl apps smile smile :

#13 2009-06-07 23:16:25

sokuban

Oh wait, gtk is on the list? That means that new gtk apps either won't work or need recompiling? (This is starting to sound less appealing, esp since getting ext4 with this would be a lot of work. And every time you want to install app that conflicts, I guess you need to install it from ARM?)

So wait, do you get a "Failed to initialize {TTM|GEM}.  Falling back to classic." error when you run glxgears or not? Because I don't think the new kernel has TTM, and the old driver can't use GEM. (This is the problem with the intel-legacy driver I am using now.)

Last edited by sokuban (2009-06-07 23:27:01)

#14 2009-06-08 01:10:44

leo2501

mmm what can i tell you... i already tryed a lot of things with this setup... playing of videos is PERFECT... i can play games in fullscreen with more FPS than before and in the VGA output of the netbook, it's a PERFECT DREAM lol, as i always supposed it needed to be... now I laught at my girlfriend's windows XP weirdness (in the same model of netbook) because my arch is working PERFECTLY...

aah, almost forgetting... did i say that i got 130 FPS in glxgears... at 1680x1050... compared to the 80 FPS in 1024x600 of the netbook before? :) (always in fullscreen)

EDIT: not everything is better... for example... i needed to replace thunar with skvm-hg... and wicd with netcfg and wifi-select... because they can't be installed because of the older gtk... ooh! wait... actually it IS BETTER :) i always wanted to replace those with CLI alternatives :) god! this is great :)

Last edited by leo2501 (2009-06-08 01:13:05)

#15 2009-07-06 17:53:44

kokoko3k

Don't know if this can help, but on an intel integrated graphic notebook, i've had to edit my pacman.conf with a lot of ignorepkgs too, i use xf86-intel-2.3.2-1

i've had those problems:

1- upgrading kernel (and dependancies) to 2.6.29, but leaving xorg to 1.4.2-2 gave me an unstable system, impossible to switch to tty and back to compiz.

2- Leaving the kernel to 2.6.27 and upgrading xorg to 1.6.1 with intel-legacy driver gave me a very slow compiz.

So here's mine ignorepkgs, they will block kernel and xorg updates, gcc is included as a dependancy sad

IgnorePkg   = kernel26
IgnorePkg   = kernel-headers
IgnorePkg   = kernel26-firmware
IgnorePkg   = klibc
IgnorePkg   = klibc-extras
IgnorePkg   = klibc-kbd
IgnorePkg   = klibc-module-init-tools
IgnorePkg   = klibc-udev

IgnorePkg   = intel-dri
IgnorePkg   = libdrm
IgnorePkg   = libgl
IgnorePkg   = libxfont
IgnorePkg   = mesa
IgnorePkg   = pixman
IgnorePkg   = synaptics
IgnorePkg   = xf86-input-evdev
IgnorePkg   = xf86-input-keyboard
IgnorePkg   = xf86-input-mouse
IgnorePkg   = xf86-video-intel
IgnorePkg   = xkeyboard-config
IgnorePkg   = xorg-server

IgnorePkg   = glibc
IgnorePkg   = suspend
IgnorePkg   = binutils
IgnorePkg   = coreutils
IgnorePkg   = gcc
IgnorePkg   = gcc-libs
IgnorePkg   = mkinitcpio
IgnorePkg   = cryptsetup
IgnorePkg   = xf86-video-vesa
IgnorePkg   = xorg-utils
IgnorePkg   = xorg-font-utils
IgnorePkg   = xorg-fonts-encodings
IgnorePkg   = xorg-apps
IgnorePkg   = xorg-fonts-alias
IgnorePkg   = xorg-fonts-100dpi
IgnorePkg   = xorg-fonts-misc
IgnorePkg   = xorg-res-utils
IgnorePkg   = xorg-server-utils
IgnorePkg   = xorg-twm
IgnorePkg   = xorg-xinit
IgnorePkg   = xorg-xkb-utils
IgnorePkg   = xf86dgaproto
IgnorePkg   = libxxf86dga
IgnorePkg   = xf86miscproto
IgnorePkg   = libxxf86misc
IgnorePkg   = xf86vidmodeproto
IgnorePkg   = xproto
IgnorePkg   = recordproto
IgnorePkg   = fixesproto
IgnorePkg   = renderproto
IgnorePkg   = xineramaproto
IgnorePkg   = damageproto
IgnorePkg   = compositeproto
IgnorePkg   = dmxproto
IgnorePkg   = fontcacheproto
IgnorePkg   = fontsproto
IgnorePkg   = glproto
IgnorePkg   = kbproto
IgnorePkg   = trapproto
IgnorePkg   = videoproto
IgnorePkg   = libice
IgnorePkg   = xtrans
IgnorePkg   = libxt
IgnorePkg   = libxmu
IgnorePkg   = libxtst
IgnorePkg   = libxfixes
IgnorePkg   = libxrender
IgnorePkg   = libxcursor
IgnorePkg   = libxinerama
IgnorePkg   = libxvmc
IgnorePkg   = libxslt
IgnorePkg   = libxdamage
IgnorePkg   = libxres
IgnorePkg   = libxcomposite
IgnorePkg   = libxaw
IgnorePkg   = libxdmcp
IgnorePkg   = libxfontcache
IgnorePkg   = libxkbui
IgnorePkg   = plotutils
IgnorePkg   = xterm

...maybe some package listed here could be removed, can't say for sure.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2009-07-06 17:55:03)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

Board footer