You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 21:38:53

majiq

Fresh install X problems [FIXED]

Hello. So, I've been using Arch for about a year and a half now, and I realized that I've been running out of space and that I have cluttered my system up unnecessarily. Being the lazy person that I am, I just formatted that partition (after backing up, of course).

I installed xorg, mesa, hal, and xf86-video-nv. In the past (I've probably installed three or four times), the standard 'X -configure' setup works fine for my NVIDIA GEFORCE Go 7600, but this time it does not work at all. I'm not getting an X on the screen after invoking X.

I read on the wiki that some people have an okay working X despite this problem (or something like that), but I put 'exec xterm' in my .xinitrc, and it starts up but I have zero input ability. I can still, however, switch to my virtual terminals.

Searching online, I've found as possible problems: hal, AllowEmptyInput, bad setup. However, I've upgraded hal, set AllowEmptyInput to false, and I tried my old xorg.conf, but none of them worked. Suggestions?

I'd love to post my xorg.conf and my /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but I can't figure out how in links. If someone can explain how to do that, I'll post them.

Last edited by majiq (2009-05-26 07:44:10)

#2 2009-05-25 22:25:12

majiq

Re: Fresh install X problems [FIXED]

Hello there. I've been lucky enough to get my inputs working. For xterm, at least. And only in a fashion, really. I noticed that in my xorg there was both ' Load "dri"' and ' Load "dri2"', so I commented out the first one and got a working mouse and keyboard in xterm. The only problem is that the keyboard would send three signals per press (pretty sure it's initiation, full depression, and lift that all registered). Anyway, installed GNOME on top of it, and now have a working keyboard. The touchpad mouse is still MIA. Probably just need to install the synaptics driver for it.

#3 2009-05-25 23:28:09

karol
Archivist

Do you have xf86-input-mouse, xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-evdev installed? Proper video drivers?
For posting I'd use a second box w/ fully functional OS w/ internet access. Do you know how to mount a drive and copy a file to it?

IIRC, AllowEmptyInput can give 3:1 keypress ratio (it's on the house, I guess), but you can simply comment it out.

Last edited by karol (2009-05-25 23:32:16)

#4 2009-05-26 07:43:34

majiq

Yeah, so that was something that was new compared to my last installs which I figured out. I first set the AllowEmptyInput because I read in my Xorg.0.log that it was disabling my mouse and keyboard, and then it could not find the drivers. I then realized I needed to grab those drivers. My video drivers were fine, both with nv and mesa. I guess it was the extra dri with the dri2, because that made it work better. Once I got all that, like you said, it was the AllowEmptyInput giving the 3:1 thing. I'm going to mark this as fixed. Thanks for the help, though.

Board footer