You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-27 00:33:58

zerooo
Website

Permissions went wrong

Short story: I accidentally made all my files belong to root:root (chmod -R root:root /*)

Long story: i was copy/paste'ing few lines at once from ssh, list of commands that i was sure that will work, but unfortunately it didn't.  There was command to cd /to/some/place and then chmod someuser:someuser * it with permissions, but it went wrong and couldn't find the directory and i was working as root in /. So when i realized what happened i pressed ctrl-c, but it was too late, then to make things even better i chmoded again everything to root (yeah, yeah i know... stupid me sad )

The question
: Is there any way to fix this? I though of rebuilding all the packages so it would automatically set the needed users, groups, permissions etc. (and if its possible, how to do it? configs should not be renamed to .pacbackup)

If there isn't a way out of this except reinstalling, could you give me any good advice of how to automatically backup or what to backup (this is a server computer web, sql, mail, dns, etc.) to make my reinstall as completely the same as it was without all the stress sad

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zerooo (2009-05-27 00:35:28)

#2 2009-05-27 01:15:01

Lexion

Re: Permissions went wrong

Backup, reinstall.  There is no way to fix this short of knowing all the file permissions of the system.

Ouch man...

urxvtc / wmii / zsh / configs / onebluecat.net
Arch will not hold your hand

#3 2011-01-24 02:27:52

empthollow

What if  you used pacman to reinstall all the packages currently on your system.  Create a package list with

pacman -Qqe > packages.list

and then reinstall packages with

sudo pacman -S $(cat packages.list

If your other option is to reinstall then this is worth a shot anyways.  If you try let me know how it works out.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#4 2011-01-27 00:35:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Please don't necro-bump https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.27

Closing. Don't do this again.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer