You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-31 15:03:53

Arm-the-Homeless

Kernel Questions

Just a couple questions about kernels.

1. What is the best (in your opinion) kernel patchset?

2. Is there a system-specific kernel config generator? (Takes the fun out of kernel compiling, I know tongue)

3. I compiled a kernel without a PKGBUILD (gasp) and want to get rid of it. How would I go about doing that?

#2 2009-05-31 20:19:08

Peanut

Re: Kernel Questions

I can't comment on the two first questions, as I prefer configuring the kernel manually, and I've only been using vanilla sources for the last couple of years. The third one is easy, though.

The kernel image is usually installed as /boot/vmlinuz or something like that, and whether or not an initial ramdisk was installed depends on how you compiled the kernel. If you used mkinitrd, mkinitcpio or something like that, the image is likely to be placed somwhere in /boot. If you compiled the kernel using only the usual make, make modules, etc, you probably don't have any initial ramdisk to remove. The kernel modules are placed in /lib/modules/KERNELVERSION-KERNELNAME. You just have to remove the mentioned files and folders in order to remove the kernel.

NB! Unless you're comfortable with using a livecd and a chroot-environment to fix a broken system, I would suggest that you don't remove the kernel until you have a working replacement ready.

#3 2009-05-31 20:40:53

Statix

Peanut wrote:

NB! Unless you're comfortable with using a livecd and a chroot-environment to fix a broken system, I would suggest that you don't remove the kernel until you have a working replacement ready.

Shouldn't it be fine just to install the original kernel26 package if things go wrong? It runs mkinitcpio when installed, and would overwrite any broken kernel there. As long as the OP doesn't reboot without a kernel, wink.

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#4 2009-05-31 21:14:52

Arm-the-Homeless

Statix wrote:
Peanut wrote:

Shouldn't it be fine just to install the original kernel26 package if things go wrong? It runs mkinitcpio when installed, and would overwrite any broken kernel there. As long as the OP doesn't reboot without a kernel, wink.

I installed it as 2.6.29.4-ANDY, not 2.6.29-ARCH. tongue

Just so nothing gets overwritten.

#5 2009-05-31 21:51:42

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Arm-the-Homeless wrote:

2. Is there a system-specific kernel config generator? (Takes the fun out of kernel compiling, I know tongue)

3. I compiled a kernel without a PKGBUILD (gasp) and want to get rid of it. How would I go about doing that?

1. depends on your need

2. no

3. rm

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2009-05-31 21:53:54

DevoidOfWindows

One, Zen, if you don't have hardware that needs proprietary drivers.  Two, maybe you can grab that from Gentoo.  Three,  try $(make uninstall), and if the Makefile doesn't support that, you'll have to do it by hand.

Last edited by DevoidOfWindows (2009-05-31 21:54:59)

#7 2009-06-01 13:51:26

Peanut

Statix wrote:
Peanut wrote:

Shouldn't it be fine just to install the original kernel26 package if things go wrong?

Yes, that qualifies as a "working replacement". smile

Perhaps I expressed myself a bit clumsily here. What I meant was simply that he should install a new kernel of some sort before removing the old one. If not, a badly timed kernel panic or whatever would force him to boot up a livecd and chroot into the system in order to install a new kernel.

#8 2009-06-01 17:31:44

milasch

Mr.Elendig wrote:
Arm-the-Homeless wrote:

1. depends on your need

2. no

3. rm

Come on!

#9 2009-06-02 00:38:43

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

milasch wrote:

*stuff*
Come on!

Nani? (what?)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer