You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-01 01:26:07

vinoman2
Website

Soundjuicer [Solved]

I was trying to install soundjuicer and it wasn't available. is the name different to use with pacman?
Or is there another good program to download to hdd and play music from CDs?

Last edited by vinoman2 (2009-06-01 22:38:06)

#2 2009-06-01 01:35:22

phil90

Re: Soundjuicer [Solved]

the name of the package is sound-juicer

You can always search for a package on the main page of the Archlinux.org website and in Aur for the packages in aur.

you can also look for the package with pacman itself

pacman -Ss <package name>

#3 2009-06-01 01:47:03

vinoman2
Website

phil90 wrote:

the name of the package is sound-juicer

You can always search for a package on the main page of the Archlinux.org website and in Aur for the packages in aur.

you can also look for the package with pacman itself

pacman -Ss <package name>

Thanks.

I get this error:

Targets (8): ppl-0.10.2-2  cloog-ppl-0.15.3-1  gcc-4.4.0-2 
             musicbrainz-2.1.5-2  libcanberra-0.11-2  gnome-media-2.26.0-1 
             libcdio-0.81-2  sound-juicer-2.26.1-1 

Total Download Size:    28.97 MB
Total Installed Size:   92.48 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages from core...
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-4.4.0-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz' from locke.suu.edu : File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
warning: failed to retrieve some files from core
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
bash-3.2#

and this:

bash-3.2# pacman -S rhythmbox
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (8): libgpod-0.7.2-1  libcanberra-0.11-2  gnome-media-2.26.0-1 
             ppl-0.10.2-2  cloog-ppl-0.15.3-1  gcc-4.4.0-2 
             musicbrainz-2.1.5-2  rhythmbox-0.12.1-1 

Total Download Size:    32.71 MB
Total Installed Size:   104.98 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages from core...
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-4.4.0-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz' from locke.suu.edu : File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
warning: failed to retrieve some files from core
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
bash-3.2# pacman -S python-cddb
python-cddb package not found, searching for group...
error: 'python-cddb': not found in sync db
bash-3.2#

is it a server issue? try again later?

Last edited by vinoman2 (2009-06-01 02:02:19)

#4 2009-06-01 02:37:09

phil90

Try

pacman -Syu if you did not already do that because a new version of GCC was made available today and the version it shows was the previous version.

It may have not reached the repository yet. You may have to wait or just use another repository that already got the package.

Last edited by phil90 (2009-06-01 02:38:10)

#5 2009-06-01 03:00:21

vinoman2
Website

phil90 wrote:

Try

pacman -Syu if you did not already do that because a new version of GCC was made available today and the version it shows was the previous version.

It may have not reached the repository yet. You may have to wait or just use another repository that already got the package.

Thanks. Do I add them to the rc.conf file?
Where is the list of repos?

#6 2009-06-01 03:05:54

phil90

The list of the mirrors is located here : /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

#7 2009-06-01 20:29:43

vinoman2
Website

Thanks, the pacman -Syu did update everything and sound-juicer installed. I'll check the mirrorlist. Can I add any of them to the list or would I add one to replace another?

#8 2009-06-01 22:32:59

dmartins

You can have as many mirrors listed as you want. They will be tried from the top down. Mirrors with a '#' infront are commented out and won't be used.
However, I don't think this was a problem with the mirror. It's more likely that your package database which is updated using "pacman -Sy" was slightly out of date. When you tried to install sound-juicer and rhythmbox, gcc was required as a dependency but the version listed in your package database was no longer available on the server. Arch doesn't keep old versions of packages on the mirrors, so this is normal behaviour when you package db is out of date and a package you are trying to install has been updated recently.

#9 2009-06-01 22:37:34

vinoman2
Website

Now I'll remember to run pacman -Syu if need be.

Now I know what to do! Thanks again smile

#10 2009-06-02 00:29:03

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Pacman -Syu is an absolute basic vinoman2. Glancing at your track record here - quite the amount of topics you opened in such a short time - I warmly suggest you put some effort into analysing your own problems before you post. People have suggested you read various guides in other topics of yours, yet I see you moaning 'Arch is difficult', or not knowing to refresh your mirror status before you try to install stuff. That is quite basic stuff, and the guides you have been linked to cover that adequately. If you think even those guides are 'difficult', then there is a problem at your end, since you're the first one I saw complaining about that. If you really think those guides are not up to par, you may always contribute by clarifying them. If the wiki does not cover your problem, then there is a huge chance the forums will - that is why our devs so graciously implemented an often overlooked search function. Two words: use it.

We welcome new users, but Newbie Corner is no excuse for lack of effort or initiative. Please keep that in mind. It's not Arch that has to be made to fit your view on things; it's you that has to decide whether you are fit for Arch or not. Not the other way around.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#11 2009-06-02 01:57:24

vinoman2
Website

B wrote:

Pacman -Syu is an absolute basic vinoman2. Glancing at your track record here - quite the amount of topics you opened in such a short time - I warmly suggest you put some effort into analysing your own problems before you post. People have suggested you read various guides in other topics of yours, yet I see you moaning 'Arch is difficult', or not knowing to refresh your mirror status before you try to install stuff. That is quite basic stuff, and the guides you have been linked to cover that adequately. If you think even those guides are 'difficult', then there is a problem at your end, since you're the first one I saw complaining about that. If you really think those guides are not up to par, you may always contribute by clarifying them. If the wiki does not cover your problem, then there is a huge chance the forums will - that is why our devs so graciously implemented an often overlooked search function. Two words: use it.

We welcome new users, but Newbie Corner is no excuse for lack of effort or initiative. Please keep that in mind. It's not Arch that has to be made to fit your view on things; it's you that has to decide whether you are fit for Arch or not. Not the other way around.

Thanks, from now on I will read the guides more thoroughly.
I greatly appreciate all the help I've been given here is this forum.

Board footer