You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-09 07:10:11

dlanor78

How to use PKGBUILD posts?

I'm trying to install dvdauthor, and someone made a PKGBUILD thingie and posted it in the forum.  That's great, but how do I use it?

I'm assuming save the text to a file (with something like gedit?) and then name it something, make it executable and run it?  Is that roughly how it's done?  If so or if not, how do I use these things?

Here's a link to the specific one I'm talking about:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … =dvdauthor

#2 2004-10-09 07:13:00

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: How to use PKGBUILD posts?

save the text in it's own directory... the file name should be PKGBUILD
once that file is there, enter the directory in a terminal and run "makepkg" to build it

before doeing this, make sure to check pacman first

if you have any problems, report them to the thread you got the PKGBUILD from

#3 2004-10-09 07:26:11

dlanor78

Much easier than I thought it would be.  Yet another reason to like Arch smile

Thanks so much for ansering my question (and so quickly too).  Where would be a good place to go next time for these kind of answers.  I'd hate to keep posting here for things I should be able to look up on my own.

Of course man makepkg would have given me some good info, but I didn't even know makepkg was involved here wink

Thanks again for the reply.

Oh, one more thing...does the process you explained actually install the package too, or just make the package for use with pacman?  This should be obvious I know, but when trying to run dvdauthor I get command not found.

#4 2004-10-09 08:05:27

dlanor78

It was obvious.  It makes the package so you can install it with pacman. the command pacman -A dvdauthor-0.6.10-2.pkg.tar.gz did the trick smile

#5 2004-10-09 16:17:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dlanor78 wrote:

Thanks so much for ansering my question (and so quickly too).  Where would be a good place to go next time for these kind of answers.  I'd hate to keep posting here for things I should be able to look up on my own.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/

Don't hesitate to post here if you can't find what you're looking for. smile

Board footer