You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-08 17:48:53

killsto

OpenGL runs slowly

I installed Arch again and intended to use it for development. The problem is that OpenGL is running very slowly. Some of the irrlicht Demos (Programs that should run very fast) run at a measly 2 fps using OpnGL, while the burnings software renderer runs around 30 fps - still not great but better. Under Windows, I get ~1000fps using DX and ~300fps using OpenGL.  Glxgears gets ~400fps - shouldn't it get over 1000? So it looks to be an OpenGL problem.

I have an ATi Radeon 4850 and I'm using the xf86-video-ati driver package. I tried installing the Catalyst drivers via AUR but X didn't start for some reason I forgot. Glxinfo says DR (Direct rendering) is on so I'm stumped. I'm using KDE but also used fluxbox and got the same results. A friend is having the same problem on a laptop which, I think, has an intel integrated GPU?

Any ideas?

#2 2009-06-08 18:03:13

MazurMe

Re: OpenGL runs slowly

From that what I know xf86-video-ati driver is not supporting HD cards, try 'Catalyst' driver again, it is not as good as nvidia but ATI is trying. For your card you should install xf86-video-radeonhd but it is not supporting 3D yet. Hail ATI o/.

Archlinux: x86_64, Gnome 2.26.*
I am registered Linux user number 485935 since september, 2007.

#3 2009-06-09 00:24:20

killsto

Well I tried grabbing the catalyst drivers from the ati website. Everythings installs fine but I get a white screen when starting x. I'll try to find the problem.

#4 2009-06-09 02:04:04

FallenWizard

killsto wrote:

Well I tried grabbing the catalyst drivers from the ati website. Everythings installs fine but I get a white screen when starting x. I'll try to find the problem.

fglrx itself is the problem. Have fun get it running without breaking something. (I had to reinstall because the fglrx driver trashed my filesystem after it caused a hardlock)

#5 2009-06-09 02:35:31

killsto

FallenWizard wrote:
killsto wrote:

fglrx itself is the problem. Have fun get it running without breaking something. (I had to reinstall because the fglrx driver trashed my filesystem after it caused a hardlock)

Well that's dandy.

Is there no chance for me to program (3d stuff) without buying a new graphics card? That seems backwards since this graphics card is pretty new.

#6 2009-06-09 02:39:35

FallenWizard

Well, you need to downgrade the kernel to 2.6.28 because the patch will spam dmesg and the syslogfile. Then fglrx is a bit usable.

Also you can wait for fglrx 9.6, I dont know about the compatibility, but it will support 2.6.29, at least I think so.

But you can forget it with 2.6.30 (will be released very soon.)

Last edited by FallenWizard (2009-06-09 02:40:00)

#7 2009-06-09 05:56:07

Uruz2012

The long and short of it is that ATI doesn't support the newest kernels. I have an ATI 3850 and I just dual boot to Ubuntu for gaming since it's "officially" supported.

#8 2009-06-11 03:32:06

atrium

killsto wrote:

I installed Arch again and intended to use it for development. The problem is that OpenGL is running very slowly. Some of the irrlicht Demos (Programs that should run very fast) run at a measly 2 fps using OpnGL, while the burnings software renderer runs around 30 fps - still not great but better. Under Windows, I get ~1000fps using DX and ~300fps using OpenGL.  Glxgears gets ~400fps - shouldn't it get over 1000? So it looks to be an OpenGL problem.

I have an ATi Radeon 4850 and I'm using the xf86-video-ati driver package. I tried installing the Catalyst drivers via AUR but X didn't start for some reason I forgot. Glxinfo says DR (Direct rendering) is on so I'm stumped. I'm using KDE but also used fluxbox and got the same results.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem as you with the open source ATI drivers (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=73270)... that is my current working xorg.conf... .  I got the 9.4 Catalyst drivers from a guy on the AUR page and get 200+FPS with the Irrlitch Demoes.

I would say it isn't very easy to get the Catalyst drivers working, but definitely worth it.  I actually tried on three different occasions and after five or so hours on the last attempt finally got it.  If you're having problems, it's most likely related to the OpenGL shared libraries and the OpenGL / Mesa installations (from my experience).

Think it was from this guy:

A friend is having the same problem on a laptop which, I think, has an intel integrated GPU?

He should be able to check in BIOS to see if it's integrated.

#9 2009-06-12 16:45:29

killsto

atrium wrote:
killsto wrote:

I have an ATi Radeon 4850 and I'm using the xf86-video-ati driver package. I tried installing the Catalyst drivers via AUR but X didn't start for some reason I forgot. Glxinfo says DR (Direct rendering) is on so I'm stumped. I'm using KDE but also used fluxbox and got the same results.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem as you with the open source ATI drivers (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=73270)... that is my current working xorg.conf... .  I got the 9.4 Catalyst drivers from a guy on the AUR page and get 200+FPS with the Irrlitch Demoes.

I would say it isn't very easy to get the Catalyst drivers working, but definitely worth it.  I actually tried on three different occasions and after five or so hours on the last attempt finally got it.  If you're having problems, it's most likely related to the OpenGL shared libraries and the OpenGL / Mesa installations (from my experience).

Think it was from this guy:

A friend is having the same problem on a laptop which, I think, has an intel integrated GPU?

He should be able to check in BIOS to see if it's integrated.

I'll try that at some point, thanks.

Board footer