You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-10 15:42:14

crimbil

Music interrupts (system load)

I'm playing my music with the BMP. When the system load gets higher (even for a short time) the music falters and interrupts. This happens even when I open nautilus (or other applications) or when I e.g. copy some data. I'm running gnome 2.8.
Is there a possibility to set process priority or another way to solve such problems?

#2 2004-10-10 16:01:39

contrasutra

Re: Music interrupts (system load)

Running the 2.6 kernel with PreEmpt enabled is the general solution to this problem. I don't know what you're running now though.

Could you give more details, like the specs of your machine (proc, sound card), what kernel/options (ALSA or OSS, what kernel version), etc?

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2004-10-10 16:27:51

crimbil

Re: Music interrupts (system load)

I'm running kernel 2.6.7 (but I'm downloading a 2.6.8.1 version) and ALSA. PreEmpt is enabled. The system runs on AthlonXP2500 on nForce2 with the onboard sound device. Should I try nvidia's nForce driver?
The problem occurs often when I'm using firefox (especially when I'm downloading stuff with firefox) and openoffice (but more rarely for exemple while running GIMP).
Thank you for your answer...

Board footer