You are not logged in.

#1 2003-06-22 00:10:27

hApy
Website

openssh

I was tried to use the secure copy "/usr/bin/scp" included with the openssh package today.. it does not seem to work, it complains about needing "/usr/bin/scp1". Is there a dependency not listed for the package?

Hapy.

#2 2003-06-22 15:15:36

andy

Re: openssh

scp on arch works fine (at least on my machine ;-) ....)

What you are seing is most likely a problem on the remote machine. scp (or in your case scp1) needs to be in the DEFAULT path, so that the remote sshd can find it. Yes, it sounds strange, but that's how it works. The remote sshd uses the remote scp to do the transfer. You most likely need root privileges on the remote machine. Putting the path to the remote scp in $PATH in your personal .profile or .bash_profile won't help. It needs to be in something like /etc/profile (or however the remote machine is set up).

I think it is safe to say that if this is all correct what I suspect, then the remote machine is not set up correctly.

#3 2003-06-22 16:05:47

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

More likely, the server he's trying to scp to is an ssh1 server, so scp wants to use the scp version 1 binary.  I can't seem to find that one on my system, not sure about arch's choice of supporting ssh1.  If you can still ssh there, just not scp you can use a command like this:

ssh <host> tar -cz <files/directories> | tar -xz

As long as you're in the directory you want to copy to, and the ssh binary can connect to ssh1 servers (I haven't tested that part), that should work fine.  Unless you don't have access to the tar program on the remote host  wink

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-06-22 21:29:39

hApy
Website

ahh ok thanks for the tip... smile I can ssh there which was what I thought was pretty strange. I will try out that method.

Hapy.

Board footer