You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-09 13:41:41

DevoidOfWindows

I Need a Music Player Suggestion...

I am looking for a music player that will let me play my music like this:

- Play songs randomly out the library.
- If it plays something I like, then I want to be able to hit a key or right-click and add that song to a play list.
- If it plays something I don't like, then I want to be able to move the song to the trash.
- Can go from playing songs out of the library to playing from a play list without having to clear out some master play list and then load the play list I want to play, then load the library back into the master play list when I am done.  Music players like Amarok and seemingly most MPD clients make me do this.  It is really annoying.
- Won't pull in hundreds of megabytes of dependencies (not using GNOME or KDE).

- Optionally, media keys support.  I don't mind binding keys in the window manager I'm using to do this, but if it has media keys support itself, that would be great, because I would still be able to use the media keys in other programs I have open that support them.

Anyone happen to know of any music players that can do this?

Last edited by DevoidOfWindows (2009-06-09 13:44:47)

#2 2009-06-09 14:38:52

göteborg-johan

Re: I Need a Music Player Suggestion...

you could try songbird, even if i doubt it will do everything you want it to.

#3 2009-06-09 15:01:41

ammon

Go for consonance.
Made by archer, for archer.

#4 2009-06-09 15:14:18

FallenWizard

"- Won't pull in hundreds of megabytes of dependencies (not using GNOME or KDE)."
mpd + sonata or ncmpcpp
mocp

they are very small, but mpd isn't easy to set up for a first-time user.

#5 2009-06-09 15:39:02

jack.mitchell
Website

Goggles Music Manager is nice and lightweight and doesn't run off mpd. The creater is an arch user (i believe) and regulary posts here so if there is a certain feature that you would like you can also make a feature request directly to the developer. Seems pretty nifty tho, however I personally use MPD + Ario which seems to provide for my needs perfectly.

http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/

Jack.

#6 2009-06-09 15:54:06

elmer_42

FallenWizard wrote:

mpd + sonata or ncmpcpp
mocp

mpd will play songs randomly?

[ lamy + pilot ] [ arch64 | wmii ] [ ati + amd ]

#7 2009-06-09 16:45:04

vi3dr0

elmer_42 wrote:

Sure, just hit "z" in ncmpc.

Thinkpad T61p : T7700 | 4GB RAM | nVidia FX 570M | Intel 4965
Arch64 @ Openbox

#8 2009-06-09 17:16:15

brisbin33
Website

putting the effort into setting up an mpd / mpc system would -- in my opinion -- be well worth it in this case.  once setup properly, mpc commands are super-easy to script (and bind to keys) to, for instance, add the playing song's filename to a "good" list or move that file to a 'trash' folder

even something simple in .bashrc like:

alias throwaway='mv "~/Music/$(mpc --format %file% | head -n1)" ~/Trash && mpc update'
alias sweetsong='echo "~/Music/$(mpc --format %file% | head -n1)" >> ~/goodsongs.txt'

:: note - these are untested examples and may need tweaking ::

also, i wrote a goodsong script that does some similar things

just my 2 cents.

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-06-09 17:24:28)

#9 2009-06-09 17:18:18

Rasi
Website

Play songs randomly out the library.

yes - (for gmpc there is even a plugin, that checks lastfm for similar artists to play those from local library)

If it plays something I like, then I want to be able to hit a key or right-click and add that song to a play list.

i dont really understand this.. if you listen to a song it already IS in playlist, isnt it? smile

If it plays something I don't like, then I want to be able to move the song to the trash.

O.k. this is not possible with mpd, since it has no direct file access.

Can go from playing songs out of the library to playing from a play list without having to clear out some master play list and then load the play list I want to play, then load the library back into the master play list when I am
done.  Music players like Amarok and seemingly most MPD clients make me do this.  It is really annoying.

Question: why do you queue your complete library.. thats not what playlists are made for anyway tongue - apart from that mpd will eventually have several playlists, probably in 0.16. From that day on queue support will also work.

Won't pull in hundreds of megabytes of dependencies (not using GNOME or KDE).

- that definately is true for mpd.

Last edited by Rasi (2009-06-09 17:19:45)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#10 2009-06-09 18:28:27

GogglesGuy
Website

jack.mitchell wrote:

Goggles Music Manager is nice and lightweight and doesn't run off mpd. The creater is an arch user (i believe) and regulary posts here...

Arch user since fall 2004  smile

#11 2009-06-09 18:36:49

Themaister
Website

MPD is perfection. You can pick a front-end for it that fits your style. Everything from full-blown GTK/QT-apps to command-line tools. Consonance and GMM are nice too, but I like the daemon aspect of MPD a lot.

#12 2009-06-09 20:26:07

DevoidOfWindows

Rasi wrote:

i dont really understand this.. if you listen to a song it already IS in playlist, isnt it? tongue
Question: why do you queue your complete library.. thats not what playlists are made for anyway tongue

That is the way I listen to my music, usually -- play everything randomly.  I download new music I might like or that others suggest to try, and they go in my library, so and I can decide if I like what is playing or not in a random order.  The songs I don't like go to the Trash, so I eventually end up with a music collection with nothing but songs I like.  I have a favorites play list, though, for when I just want to hear nothing but the music I already like.  It sounds redundant, but, right now, my hopper is a couple of thousand songs huge that I still have left to go through.

Last edited by DevoidOfWindows (2009-06-09 20:47:46)

#13 2009-06-09 22:08:08

Rasi
Website

DevoidOfWindows wrote:
Rasi wrote:

i dont really understand this.. if you listen to a song it already IS in playlist, isnt it? tongue
Question: why do you queue your complete library.. thats not what playlists are made for anyway tongue

That is the way I listen to my music, usually -- play everything randomly.  I download new music I might like or that others suggest to try, and they go in my library, so and I can decide if I like what is playing or not in a random order.  The songs I don't like go to the Trash, so I eventually end up with a music collection with nothing but songs I like.  I have a favorites play list, though, for when I just want to hear nothing but the music I already like.  It sounds redundant, but, right now, my hopper is a couple of thousand songs huge that I still have left to go through.

for gmpc there is a plugin that will randomly pick songs from your library, queue it to playlist and even can remove it after playback again... i listen to my music like this all day long

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#14 2009-06-09 22:26:44

DonVla

gmusicbrowser

#15 2009-06-09 22:33:10

Gen2ly
Website

+1 for GogglesMM, very nice, it's 'musicmanager' in community.  Been liking OSSv4 and missed my Amarok,  MM plays things great.  Wish it just hide when I hit the close button though sad.  Also when I toggle it from the notification area in kde4 it comes up behind other windows.  Otherwise is great, real lightweight, does what I need.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#16 2009-06-10 00:46:33

DevoidOfWindows

Consonance -- their web page says it was suspended.
Songbird -- didn't like some foreign characters in my music and would not let me play those.
ncmpc-/pp/ario -- don't allow appending a song in the master play list to other play lists.
Goggles -- nice, but I'm still trying to figure out how to import favorites play list with it.
GMPC -- it is perfect, and had everything except for the being able to delete songs.  I made a Trash list for that, though, so now, it is no problem.  Media keys are working, too.

Last edited by DevoidOfWindows (2009-06-10 00:50:58)

#17 2009-06-10 04:10:14

elmer_42

vi3dr0 wrote:
elmer_42 wrote:

Sure, just hit "z" in ncmpc.

Oh snap. Learn something new every day.

[ lamy + pilot ] [ arch64 | wmii ] [ ati + amd ]

#18 2009-06-10 13:18:39

brisbin33
Website

DevoidOfWindows wrote:

GMPC -- it is perfect, and had everything except for the being able to delete songs.  I made a Trash list for that, though, so now, it is no problem.  Media keys are working, too.

umm, gmpc's a frontend to mpd no? my mpc bashrc alias for moving the file to trash will still work.  just have some mpc keybindings / aliases and use gmpc for everything else.  sound like a [solved] to me smile

#19 2009-06-10 15:56:51

GogglesGuy
Website

Gen2ly wrote:

+1 for GogglesMM, very nice, it's 'musicmanager' in community.  Been liking OSSv4 and missed my Amarok,  MM plays things great.  Wish it just hide when I hit the close button though sad.

Edit -> Preferences -> Window -> Close button hides Main Window

Gen2ly wrote:

Also when I toggle it from the notification area in kde4 it comes up behind other windows.

I'm aware of that. Not sure how to fix it at the moment.

#20 2009-06-10 16:49:14

fifafrazer

Nice player goggles.
Im still looking for a good replacement for classic XMMS though, and audacious is far too slow.
The speed of goggles is on par and it uses less ram, but there is no queue and the UI toolkit looks like win2000.

#21 2009-06-10 20:09:36

greenfish

Same problem here, i've always used amarok but since it's STILL having issues playing FLAC i'm constantly using foobar (wish they port it to linux) but the audio sounds "hollow" compared to amarok. Right now i'm using gmm and frankly it's better then amarok, why? Because it plays FLAC 100% no skipping or searching!!!!

But I have to agree with fifafrazer the UI looks a tad old, not complaining though I love the application it's very light and fast smile

Cheers GogglesGuy
cool:cool::cool:

Last edited by greenfish (2009-06-10 20:09:53)

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#22 2009-06-10 21:38:08

Gen2ly
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:
Gen2ly wrote:

+1 for GogglesMM, very nice, it's 'musicmanager' in community.  Been liking OSSv4 and missed my Amarok,  MM plays things great.  Wish it just hide when I hit the close button though sad.

Edit -> Preferences -> Window -> Close button hides Main Window

Ahhhhhhhhh, now that's better big_smile

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#23 2009-06-10 22:39:10

Intrepid

I highly suggest Cmus, yes it is a terminal application but once you learn how to use it, it is VERY powerful and supports gapless playback, software volume control, and the most advanced/customizable filters, play queue, a quality replay gain, and to distinguish it from Amarok, the playlist is separated from the library.  Run it in GNU screen to be able to play even after X fails, and use cmus-remote to bind your multimedia keys to control it.  Rhythmbox is another good option for the GUI but it pulls in Gnome dependencies.  At one point I thought it was worth it regardless, and for me it only pulled in 20MB dependencies!

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-06-10 22:44:23)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#24 2009-06-10 22:50:57

Peasantoid
Website

Intrepid wrote:

use cmus-remote to bind your multimedia keys to control it.

You can also do this with mpd/ncmpcpp — very nice.

(Although I use ncmpc for interactive usage due to an instability issue with ncmpcpp.)

Last edited by Peasantoid (2009-06-10 22:51:59)

#25 2009-06-11 02:42:39

Intrepid

Well it depends on what he wants.  Like he said, most MPD clients make him clear a temporary playlist to reload the library.  Cmus doesn't have this problem.  One can easily switch between playlist and library mode with one keystroke.  I'm glad he enjoys GMPC though.

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

Board footer