You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-11 23:33:32

yvonney

ARCHISO first attempt - do I have folders in wrong spot? Got an error

Hi. First archiso attempt: created folder and files just like wiki though obviously have something in wrong place. I get this error:
Though, root-image AND iso folder were vreated and a lot happened! :--)

FIRST QUESTION about stock Makefile:
Does this need to be changed?
# Current working directory
PWD:=`pwd`

SECOND QUESTION: does EVERY file and folder go in the ONE main folder? I've called my main folder 'archiso'. /root/archiso

NOTE: any references to shadow and passwd and the user "_fdm" can be ignored. I plan to delete references to the _fdm user and will add when system running. This users just for one program called fdm.

HERE's the error I got.

[root@arch 34 archiso 08:58]# make all                                                                                                                                                                    
mv "/root/archiso/root-image/boot" "/root/archiso/iso/"                                                                                                                                                   
mv: cannot stat `/root/archiso/root-image/boot': No such file or directory                                                                                                                                
make: *** [base-iso] Error 1                                                                                                                                                                              
[root@arch 35 archiso 08:59]# make all                                                                                                                                                                    
mkarchiso -p "`cat packages.list` grub-gfx" create "/root/archiso"                                                                                                                                        
mkarchiso : Configuration Settings                                                                                                                                                                        
        working directory:   /root/archiso                                                                                                                                                                
               image name:   none                                                                                                                                                                         
====> Creating working directory: /root/archiso                                                                                                                                                           
====> Installing packages to '/root/archiso/root-image/'                                                                                                                                                  
Cleaning up what we can                                                                                                                                                                                   
mv "/root/archiso/root-image/boot" "/root/archiso/iso/"                                                                                                                                                   
cp -r boot-files/* "/root/archiso/iso/boot/"                                                                                                                                                              
cp isomounts "/root/archiso"                                                                                                                                                                              
cp: `isomounts' and `/root/archiso/isomounts' are the same file                                                                                                                                           
make: *** [base-iso] Error 1

RUNNING AS ROOT : MADE MAIN FOLDER CALLED 'archiso'

inside archiso folder I have these files with the contents being JUST like the wiki
isomounts
Makefile
mkinitcpio.conf
packages.list

EXCEPTIONS: I have the Makefile with  /root/archiso as base location ::: I have added squashfs-tools and base-devel to the packages.list

NOTE: after the build attempt stopped with the above error I had a README file as well beside the 4 about files.

ADDITIONALLY IN THE archiso folder::: I created a boot-files folder with a grub folder inside and a menu.lst in it with the grub.gfx commented out.
I also created an overlay folder with an etc folder inside that. Inside the etc folder I have 4 files:
fstab    contents just like wiki
group   just like my working system's group file
passwd  just like my working system's passwd file
shadow  same as my working system's one though I change the toor and _fdm use lines to look like this (the _fdm user is so that fdm can fetch mail as root)

So, here's the two lines for the   root and _fdm user I've changed in shadow

root::99999::::::
_fdm::99999:::

_fdm is a regular user.. So, is that right to not have a password? Can I leave the string that WAS there.

SO aain: my Makefile is totally stock for this try-out.
I'm guessing that I have the other folders at the wrong level based on the error up to phere.

HELP GREATLY needed!!!

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-11 23:50:42)

#2 2009-06-11 23:48:48

arch0r

Re: ARCHISO first attempt - do I have folders in wrong spot? Got an error

#3 2009-06-11 23:53:53

yvonney

Thanks. I saw that earlier and scrapbooked it. :--)   Good reminder as I could have the same build issue when I get past this point. Easy to bookmark/scrapbook a page though getting vak to them doesn't always happen, a lot.

So, I don't get to the actual build I don't think.

I have a file copy collision the error suggests to me.
I likely have the folders and files in the wrong places.

Does ALL start by going into just ONE main folder for everything? Just added this question t mypost above a few minutes ago.
If so, I've done that correctly. So then it would seem that I have the overlay or boot-files folder or the loose files in the wrong spots maybe?

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-12 00:03:36)

#4 2009-06-12 00:00:26

arch0r

jup, you just cd into ur buildfolder with all your files (Makefile  boot-files  isomounts  mkinitcpio.conf  overlay  packages.list), get root rights and make all. i think you've set a wrong workdir folder, just copy the Makefile from the wiki

Last edited by arch0r (2009-06-12 00:00:57)

#5 2009-06-12 00:07:52

yvonney

The thing is what goes where?

overlay is a folder.... right?
boot-files is a folder ... right?

Just need to get everything where it's s'posed to b.

It certainly starts up and goes for about 20 minutes, fills up tons of files then I get the error.
So,,, if the folder is called

archiso
and it's in /root/archiso

and my line in Makefile is:

#### Change these settings to modify how this ISO is built.
#  The directory that you'll be using for the actual build process.
WORKDIR=/root/archiso

IS that right?

ALSO: as I tried to detail above. I have created TWO folders as well. And inside the one called boot-files there another folder I made called grub with a menu.lst in it. Also, I created a folder called overlay and inside it is a folder I made called etc and in etc there's the 4 files  passwrd, shadow, group, fstab   pretty much just like the wiki.

I do have squash in my packages.list as well.

thank you!!

I'm expecting the iso not to work though I wanna get to where I have an iso today hopefully.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-12 00:15:15)

#6 2009-06-12 00:15:44

arch0r

i recommend to create an individual folder where all those installing and building go eg. /root/archiso/work. --> nano /root/archiso/Makefile --> WORKDIR=work
installing and building takes place now in a subfolder named "work"
archiso is also the place where your others are (Makefile  boot-files  isomounts  mkinitcpio.conf  overlay  packages.list) am i right?

u defined to install just everything into your build folder which is bit dirty and won't work. so keep the things clean, delete everything except your configs + run it again

Last edited by arch0r (2009-06-12 00:16:13)

#7 2009-06-12 00:18:02

yvonney

fantastic. so relative from where Markfile already is in /root/archiso!  of course! um, I've never been good at that one. um, yet!

So, without me thinking to much 'yet' about your GREAT help... I have one question I hope.

H.. you already said to have the rest in /root/archiso. I'll leave the following here incase it generates something though I wrote this line I'm one here, lastly.

I DO keep the folders overlay and boot-files.... right?

And inside boot-files there's a folder named grub     right?

And if so I would have these folders/files in my  archiso and NOT in /archiso/work ????

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-12 00:22:33)

#8 2009-06-12 00:25:31

yvonney

ah ha!

I did that and now it has created it all in the work folder as WELL as another isomounts file.
That's why the collision/error I got.

So, now I'll see what else happens. I've got another isomounts file like the wiki said loose in the /root/archiso folder.
Along with all the other files and folders.

UPDATE: oh I'm getting what's hpapening. Is creating EVERYTHING IN te work folder and appears to be drawing from the folders and files I have put in the archiso folder one leleve UP from the work folder.

nice! um, we'll see. Of course whatever happens as an ARCH devotee is all fun!

UPDATE2: BOOM the iso and img are ready.   that was FAST!!!!! that can't be right..... hehehe

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-12 00:30:26)

#9 2009-06-12 00:47:54

arch0r

lol, gz :>
u can test them with testiso just install qemu and run testiso archiso.iso

#10 2009-06-12 00:50:29

yvonney

LOTS of fun errors on iso boot attempt. Goes for some way then it looks like about 3 issues.

Waiting 6 seconds for usb devices
Scanning for boot devices
/dev/sr0     (didn't know I had an sr0!!!!)
sqashfs:
aufs 2-standalone
Mounting root (aufs) filessystem
mounting images
loop: modules loaded
adding new aufs branch : root image
aufs opt_add:554mount[487] lookup failed:/tmps/mnt/loop (-2)
mount: invalid arguement
::::binding /bootmnt to bootmnt
:::passing control to Arch Linuc Iniscripts
/bin/run-init: opening onsole  No such file or directory
Kernel Panix - not syncing: attempting to killinit

atkbd.c Spurious NAK on isa0060/serio  Some program might be trying to access hardware directly

------------

So, I saw something about this in the post you linked me to.

Any ideas?
I'll start to look around. And that post you told me about first!

GREAT start! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

using vbox to test as I need to find out if qemu can be built without esound etc.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-12 02:47:56)

#11 2009-06-12 00:53:51

Svenstaro
Administrator

Yeah it seems many people have issues with this even though it worked for some. I'll check it out.

Board footer