You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-13 00:13:37

sebokie

Gnome-do and compiz standalone

Hello,

I'm trying to use gnome-do as a launcher on my compiz standalone installation (I use compiz as a wm, pcmanfm for the desktop background and awn for a dock), however when I start it from command line it outputs an error about dbus (while HAL and hence dbus are started):

[Error 01:09:35.815] [SystemService] Could not initialize dbus: Unable to open the session message bus.
[Error 01:09:36.036] Could not load desktop item: Codage inconnu de : file:///usr/share/applications/opera.desktop
[Error 01:09:36.080] [SystemService] Could not GetOnBattery: Unable to open the session message bus.

and I can't manage to start it with Super + space.
I'm guessing Gnome Do needs some kind of gnome application or daemon running, but which one?

Thanks

#2 2009-06-13 01:53:06

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Gnome-do and compiz standalone

Do you have dbus running?

#3 2009-06-13 13:22:11

sebokie

Yes I think I do:

root /home/sebokie #  pgrep -l dbus
5898 dbus-daemon
6560 dbus-launch
6564 dbus-daemon

#4 2009-06-13 16:15:45

Ranguvar

My guess is a missing dependency, probably something related to dbus.

Look at http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/index.php?ti … rom_Source for some stuff you could try installing. GNOME Do is C#, so also try installing ndesk-dbus-glib, ndesk-dbus, dbus-sharp, dbus-glib, etc (if you don't already have them). I'd reboot just to make sure after or restart dbus (restart HAL) or something too. When you find the needed dependency, let the GNOME Do packagers know. Obviously uninstall anything that wasn't necessary.

#5 2009-06-29 10:41:19

Intrepid

Unfortunately I have been having the same problem.  Running C# apps like this (banshee-1 and gnome-do):

dbus-launch gnome-do

seems to work even though I already have dbus-launch running as a process as well.  All of the dependencies are installed, and I have tried dbus-sharp but it doesn't seem to help.  The other dependencies are required though.  I know I've seen another thread on these forums with the same errors.  Has anyone figured something out?  I'd be willing to post something in the Wiki if needs be (HOWTos).

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-06-29 10:47:21)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#6 2009-06-29 11:01:11

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dbus has two buses, user and system.

the system bus starts at /etc/rc.d/dbus start

Your user bus should start when you login. Gnome and KDE do this for you, for WM's, you can put the following in your ~/.xinitrc BEFORE the WM. What you've been doing above is starting a new user bus each time you run gnome-do!

# D-bus
if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi

similarly  you could also run:

exec dbus-launch windowmanager
eg:
exec dbus-launch openbox

Though the first method is preferred as an application started before your WM may need dbus, for example gnome-do run through xbindkeys.

#7 2009-06-29 11:09:16

Intrepid

Ah thank you, although I find it very odd that I have to start a new user bus for C# programs when e.g. rhythmbox/other dbus software communicate without it, as I actually do have dbus-launch running under my user account with --autolaunch (many numbers here) --binary-syntax --close-stderr.  Although I do have a problem in that I do not have DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in my environment variables!!!!!  This might be the problem! yikes

This is the error report for Banshee-1

Unhandled Exception: System.Exception: Unable to open the session message bus. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: address
  at NDesk.DBus.Bus.Open (System.String address) [0x00000] 
  at NDesk.DBus.Bus.get_Session () [0x00000] 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

[edit]I fixed this by running my window manager (Awesome) in my xinitrc with dbus-launch /etc/X11/Sessions/awesome (yes I made my own custom "session").  This works perfectly because the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable IS created.

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-06-30 03:57:55)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

Board footer