You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-12 14:49:45

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

all encompassing image library?

hey all,
let me begin by saying this - I've never done much with actual graphical programming, and I'm feeling inspired and am going to mess with some of this stuff on my own (SDL and it's ilk).
I am curious about image support - currently there are like a million libraries - libtiff, libpng, libjpeg, etc etc... each with it's own interface and coding style.  Is there anyway to simplify this at all?  I've come across DevIL but it uses compile time dependancies and things that I'm none too happy with.... I'm looking for any and all input on the subject.... maybe I'll look into what the GiMP does...

#2 2004-10-12 15:38:40

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: all encompassing image library?

I believe that most GUI toolkits provide image library support. GIMP's image support is likely built into GTK, (no idea really).

If you aren't going to make a GUI toolkit, find out what ImageMagick does.

I did some image manipulation stuff for class once, it was fun. Filters, dithering algorithms, grayscale, etc.

Dusty

#3 2004-10-12 15:54:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: all encompassing image library?

well, i've come across two promissing ones:
the imagemagic libraries and SDL_image

seeling as I'm going to be messing with SDL/OpenGL (for fun and profit!) maybe I should use SDL_image.

BTW, I like the way SDL is done... I'll have to look into things like SDL_net and SDL_image a bit more... but I think they'd be really useful.

Has anyone messed with SDL before?  I'm slightly confused on one thing - does SDL provide OpenGL wrapper functionality, or is the OpenGL code portion the same... i.e. SDL provides the portability, and OpenGL provides all the nice rendering functions, or does SDL have it's own rendering functionality?

Board footer