You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-15 10:27:29

lostinamerica

Custom Kernel -- Will Pay

This is an offer to pay for software.  If you have advanced Linux skills and are proficient with kernel compilation and Arch Linux, you might be interested.

I need the 2.6.30 kernel prepped for live CD usage.  I'd prefer that it be patched with squashfs, LZMA and aufs2; but it appears to me after much reading that aufs2 has a conflict with the base 2.6.30 kernel, so if that's true, I'd settle for squashfs and unionfs.  I also need bootsplash.

The finished kernel has to to be stable and packaged for Arch.

I need someone who is experienced with these tasks, and who is prompt and professional in their communication and work.   If you are seriously considering this offer and wish to respond, do so via e-mail: xrv2525 at hotmail.  Include your thoughts about the time involved and what fee you propose. 

Joe

#2 2009-06-15 18:52:59

FallenWizard

Re: Custom Kernel -- Will Pay

lostinamerica wrote:

This is an offer to pay for software.  If you have advanced Linux skills and are proficient with kernel compilation and Arch Linux, you might be interested.

I need the 2.6.30 kernel prepped for live CD usage.  I'd prefer that it be patched with squashfs, LZMA and aufs2; but it appears to me after much reading that aufs2 has a conflict with the base 2.6.30 kernel, so if that's true, I'd settle for squashfs and unionfs.  I also need bootsplash.

The finished kernel has to to be stable and packaged for Arch.

I need someone who is experienced with these tasks, and who is prompt and professional in their communication and work.   If you are seriously considering this offer and wish to respond, do so via e-mail: xrv2525 at hotmail.  Include your thoughts about the time involved and what fee you propose. 

Joe

I am sure nobody wants to get paid for something like that tongue

The Zen kernel has aufs and squashfs, you can take a look at it.

#3 2009-06-15 19:10:29

haxit
Website

I think this community would do this for free.

Edit: Maybe not. This thread has quite a few views.

Last edited by haxit (2009-06-15 19:15:01)

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#4 2009-06-15 19:43:30

makimaki

haxit wrote:

Offtopic: @haxit: I thought you were supposed to be on holiday already?

Ontopic: I'm sure there are plenty of people who would do it for free. I don't know enough otherwise I'd help.

====* -- Joke
    O
    \|/ --- Me
    / \             Whooooosh

#5 2009-06-15 20:23:31

lucke

The kernel in [testing] supports squashfs, lzma and aufs2. You can get fbsplash or splashy to work in the userspace. Not much to do for anyone, eh?

Last edited by lucke (2009-06-15 20:24:05)

#6 2009-06-15 20:30:29

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Somebody who has the time and know-how could do it, then lostinamerica could make a donation to Arch.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#7 2009-06-15 20:37:01

Pank

It is really not that hard; only time-consuming (compiling wise). I have used Linux for less than three months and I have compiled my own kernel twice. With ABS I believe it would be extra easy. With menuconfig you can search for options or you can un-tag lines in the config file. There are even graphical tools that can be used to set features.

BTW: Are you aware of Larch? I believe it uses uses a somehow patched kernel. You might be able to use that as well.

Cheers,
Rasmus

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#8 2009-06-15 21:00:22

haxit
Website

makimaki wrote:
haxit wrote:

Offtopic: @haxit: I thought you were supposed to be on holiday already?

Ontopic: I'm sure there are plenty of people who would do it for free. I don't know enough otherwise I'd help.

Offtopic: 28th bro, 28th tongue

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#9 2009-06-15 21:43:17

Peasantoid
Website

@OP: You sure this is worth paying for?

#10 2009-06-15 23:56:51

iphitus
Forum Fellow

bootsplash is totally obsolete. Just use splashy instead, it's easier to install and does _not_ require custom initscripts. (see first comment on the splashy AUR package)

sooo...

pacman -S testing/kernel26
download splashy from aur,
makepkg,
pacman -U splashy-*pkg.tar.gz

done.

Last edited by iphitus (2009-06-15 23:58:49)

#11 2009-06-28 16:51:22

lostinamerica

I must apologize -- I should have been more specific in my original post.  Here's the deal...

I'm trying to build a live CD out of an installed Arch system using Linux Live Scripts.  It's true that there are other methods available (Larch, Archiso), but LLS is my preference.  It's also true I didn't know that aufs2 was included with the 2.6.30-ARCH kernel.  But the bottom line is that it doesn't work with LLS. 

http://www.linux-live.org/

After running the "build" script and burning the ISO, a kernel panic is the result. 

No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)
PID: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.30-ARCH #1

I appreciate the prior responses -- and consistent with prior comments, I've donated to Arch today.   But I'm still interested in finding the (hopefully straightforward) workaround for this problem.   And although some of this stuff is arguably "easy," all I can tell you is, this particular problem is beyond my level of skill.  Thanks in advance for any real solutions.

Last edited by lostinamerica (2009-06-28 19:47:42)

#12 2009-06-29 09:44:38

gradgrind

In the DOC/requirements.txt file of the linux-live package you can read which modules must be built into the kernel (not compiled as modules). The standard Arch kernel probably has these as modules. It is quite easy to recompile the kernel. Get the core/kernel26 folder from ABS and edit the PKGBUILD so that you have the 'make menuconfig' line instead of 'yes "" | make config'. This will allow you to manually change the configuration options. You can also change the package name etc., but be aware that if you do the ready built Arch module packages won't work.

But if you want the LZMA version of squashfs you'll need to start from scratch. Maybe godane (the archiso-live project) has a suitable kernel?

#13 2009-07-07 20:16:21

timetrap
Website

Wow. I've been away for a while ... but ... wow.

Board footer