You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-15 21:42:04

chesterfork

[SOLVED] XPS m1530 Wireless problem, Strange -- no more XPS now ;)

Hi,
first of all congratulations for the organization and the easy way to get informed and updated regarding archlinux (packages and community). I read almost every thread regarding wireless but i couldn't see anything similar to this:

I'l try to explain myself, because i'm italian, but it's difficult even to explain this problem in italian (!!):
i have iwl4965 that works well in my apartment where i study and at the university; never had a problem. Today, i come back home to visit my parents and i try to surf internet----it starts the situation:
modem/router Alice (Italian company): i try to set it on MAC security, WEP and WPA one by one. I try to mix them, like MAC + WPA, i receive the address in any above cases by dhcpd or even by fixed one set up by wicd. I start firefox and i see on the left-down corner of the screen that it's charging my first page, google.com, and in about 2 seconds the "negotiation" stops and stuck on "waiting on XXX.XXXXXXX.XXX...." and it STOPS.....
Even if i use pacman or pidgin it occur the same error, after a few seconds, about 2, everything stops, so i cannot log on pidgin o update my arch.....
Meaningly, my wireless works for 2 or 4 seconds, at least, with every application....BUT if i ping (the application: ping www.google.com) it could continue endlessly...and i  obtain the right usual values

How i can solve this? There's something i can monitor? Like network daemon or something like that. I have iptables but it's rightly configured because i can surf internet wired anywhere, almost. I tried everything like deactivate eth0 and activate wlan0; make the contrary and the results are similar...even if i start firefox (example) in root environment the behave is the same as the normal user...i tried EVERYTHING.....HEEEEELP! smile

I say that because i know that this problem is related ONLY on archlinux; on this kind of router i used to connect with debian, fedora, XP and 7 and i never had problems regarding this.

Could you help me to make it WORKSSSSS????
thanks in advance, bye

Last edited by chesterfork (2009-07-14 18:25:35)

#2 2009-06-16 06:11:50

lgolebio

Re: [SOLVED] XPS m1530 Wireless problem, Strange -- no more XPS now ;)

Post your /etc/hosts file. Try to disable iptables and check if that helps.

#3 2009-06-16 19:00:22

chesterfork

Disabling iptables has no effetc. Here it is my /etc/host:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost myhost

#4 2009-06-21 04:44:13

drandre

I have had similar problems which seemed to be caused by the MTU being used by linux being bigger than the router liked.  You might want to try something like

ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1360

No guarantees but it might help.  Also, you might want to post a few more details about your router model and your wireless hardware in the laptop so that people can start tho think about the problem.

Last edited by drandre (2009-06-21 04:46:38)

#5 2009-06-24 17:41:33

lgolebio

Maybe try to disable ipv6 module.
Go to /etc/modprobe.d/ and edit modprobe.conf. Add this line:

alias net-pf-10 off

Reboot your machine, and test if that helps.

#6 2009-07-14 18:24:44

chesterfork

i change my xps for a dell 1555....and eveything works fine....The problem, i thinks, was about the modem/router "alice", worst router ever.....thanks for your help

Board footer