You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-16 07:55:47

u_no_hu

Need usablility expert advice for an ncurses based pacman frontend

Hi,
I am working on a frontend for pacman using  ncurses/python/pyalpmm. It is in really early stage of development. So i need advice about usability aspects of the program .

Screenshot  http://omploader.org/vMXVhaQ

The program will mostly be useful for searching and browsing  ( nothing can beat pacman for installation and updating smile )

Ideas(some implemented, some not yet )

1) It has a 3 pane layout like most of the other package managers.(Suggestions for any better layout ? )
2) Uses vim based keybindings ( j/k = up/down, / = search, tab = switch between panes  i=install, d=remove ?=help )
3) few more options to show orphans etc
4) planning to implement a tree based layout showing deps
5) Also a sort by real size option for installed packages (like Allans script )
6) pick and choose updates is also something which i have been missing for long time.

The idea is to keep the interface as clean/simple as possible

All ideas and suggestions are welcome

Dont miss your chance to get on the scrolling credits screen wink

Last edited by u_no_hu (2009-06-16 07:59:14)

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#2 2009-06-16 08:19:33

mikesd
Website

Re: Need usablility expert advice for an ncurses based pacman frontend

Hmmm, this looks cool. I would probably use this. I like the idea of using j/k for movement but I'm guessing the arrow keys would work as well?

#3 2009-06-16 08:31:24

Procyon

Python curses is pretty fun right? I made 3 applications in it and it was great to use. Even when I was just getting started I could make something.

I don't know much about usability, maybe you can have the repos at the top as tabs and switch them with left/right cursor and have the package list scroll with up/down cursor, so you don't need tab. Don't forget shift+up/down for faster scrolling, page up/down and home/end. And insert for marking multiple to delete.

#4 2009-06-16 19:34:11

Heller_Barde

Procyon wrote:

I don't know much about usability, maybe you can have the repos at the top as tabs and switch them with left/right cursor
<snip>

good idea, i would also propose a "All" tab, to search in when you don't care/know where the package is located (for me, most of the time)

Procyon wrote:

And insert for marking multiple to delete.

or maybe [space] like in some  "advanced filemanagers" like: i forgot the name -.- (but it works very well, you don't usually need space for anything else:cool:)

cheers

#5 2009-06-16 21:04:53

Pank

u_no_hu wrote:

Hi,
I am working on a frontend for pacman using  ncurses/python/pyalpmm. It is in really early stage of development. So i need advice about usability aspects of the program .

This looks really nice. I am looking forward to it.

1) It has a 3 pane layout like most of the other package managers.(Suggestions for any better layout ? )

This would be fine. The other suggestion with panes on top would work as well. I guess panes on top (i.e. a stacked layout) would save space.

2) Uses vim based keybindings ( j/k = up/down, / = search, tab = switch between panes  i=install, d=remove ?=help )

Vim is so confusing. Please make a Emacs keybinding as as well smile And of course an intuitive dummy mode (arrows, space|enter=mark etc)

All ideas and suggestions are welcome

Maybe a feature to sort by type of program. I.e. X programs, cli programs etc. I think Zendo/zpm for Zenwalk/Slackware is really great and something similar to your project, although not in ncurses.

--Rasmus

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#6 2009-06-16 21:13:11

Maki
Website

Why not add all repo's in the repo section, and move installed update to the package list. Also you can put another tab under the repo tab with pkg groups, and implement vi like searching for packages.

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#7 2009-06-17 06:55:34

pauldonnelly

Mouse support would be a good idea. It's no good cursoring through a screenful of packages when you could just click on one.

#8 2009-06-19 08:04:38

kandrews

I'd recommend looking at the calcurse calendar app for inspiration. I really appreciate its display of contextual key bindings based on the selected pane. That saves me a trip to the man page for basic usage.

#9 2009-06-19 08:51:43

mike_93

Could I maybe suggest F1, F2, etc for some common operations like search, install, remove, and information. I like how htop does it.

Double booting Arch Linux and Linux Mint
Reader of XKCD

#10 2009-06-19 09:22:09

bangkok_manouel

random thoughts:
- using number keys rTorrent style: 1 will show core, 2 will show extra, etc...
- include a small console box to show actual installation + install messages.
- add local packages section
- possibility to preview install messages.

#11 2009-08-03 18:03:37

meissna

u_no_hu,

nice to see that someone is actually using this, this really helps to spend more time big_smile
so that's what I did, the recent subversion checkout will have alot of improvements, especially for developers. This means: yes, I went over the whole code to document as much as possible. Hopefully this will help a bit to get in touch with the library...

the only bad thing: there were some little changes in the DatabaseManager API (method naming has changed a little) for the sake of consistency and a cleaner API, hope this won't hurt so much wink

greets

Board footer