You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-19 00:13:13

jduped

[Solved] Favorite File System

I'm looking for file system suggestions for a data server which I'm reworking right now due to failures from my first selection.

I used Ext3 which worked for a year+ and has now degraded to the point of being unusable.  I'm wondering if any one has experience with linux based data servers and could suggest a file system with journaling and tools that can be used as is.

With Ext3 you have to drop the file system back to Ext2 to work on it...or at least that is what I have read and treated as such.

Any ideas? Experience based suggestions?

(software raid will be used)

Last edited by jduped (2009-06-19 06:46:06)

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools - Herbert Spencer

#2 2009-06-19 03:24:03

10wattmindtrip

Re: [Solved] Favorite File System

I'm a bit surprised a bit that ext3 is actually dying like that..
Anyway, not much experience with this file system, but I hear XFS is pretty good for data servers. Arch comes with xfs progs, I believe. Another I've heard some good things about is JFS..
From personal Experience a few years ago I used ReiserFS and that same system is still up and running without issues. I don't think I would recommend Ext4, yet.

which would you choose: A god that never answers you or a society that embraces you?

#3 2009-06-19 04:07:01

fflarex

Keep in mind I have no experience with servers, but I would recommend either jfs or ext4. I'm currently using ext4 and it's great, however it might be a bit too new for you to trust it for use on a server. Before ext4 came along, jfs was the all-around winner. It uses a minimum of system resources, balances performance of both large and small files, and is quite stable.

#4 2009-06-19 04:25:00

theringmaster
Website

I've been using JFS with the deadline scheduler for a while now. No issues to speak of

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#5 2009-06-19 04:55:51

Statix

Another vote for JFS here. Simple and awesome filesystem.

Cons:
No easy shrink/growing of partitions.

Everything else is great about it.

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#6 2009-06-19 05:32:30

Tyriel
Website

I have a number of partitions and use a few different file systems to help maximise performance.  So far it serves me very well with no issues at all.

/boot (100Mb)   => Ext2 -- as I don't need any form of journaling
/ (1GB) => Ext4 -- In case I ever want /root to have journaling
/home (400Gb) => Ext4 -- very fast journaling I notice the performance difference over Ext3
/tmp (5Gb)  => Ext2 -- No need for journaling as it is wiped every reboot
/usr  (10Gb)  => Ext4 -- Journaling is useful here
/var  (5Gb)  => ReiserFS -- Very fast with lots of small files

/swap (3.5Gb) => Standard swap (Should be last partition so it is closer to the outer rim of the disk for better performance)

Hope that gives you some ideas.

The software required Windows XP or better, so I installed archlinux.

#7 2009-06-19 05:37:58

fumbles

Tyriel wrote:

/swap (3.5Gb) => Standard swap (Should be last partition so it is closer to the outer rim of the disk for better performance)

Shouldn't that be first partition then?

#8 2009-06-19 05:41:18

Tyriel
Website

Oops... sorry I meant inner rim yikes

#9 2009-06-19 06:22:07

iBertus

+1 for JFS. I've used it without trouble on both my old and new laptops and several desktops over a period of 5+ years. I find it faster than the ext2/3/4 filesystems and unlike ext4 it's never caused me to have a corrupt FS following a dead laptop battery.

#10 2009-06-19 06:45:23

jduped

Thanks for the input guys...I've never used jfs but looks like a good idea big_smile

I was reading about it in the beginners guide. and the wiki page on here.

Tryiel interesting way of laying out your partitions with all those mounts are you using lvm? or a few separate drives?

To further on my issue.

The drives are accessible, but read times are unacceptable and with media files they often freeze and lock.  The info I found said to degrade ext3 to ext2 then run some of the tools on it.  I got an external drive 1TB that I'm dumping all the drives off with then I'm going to rebuild with fresh formats and os.  I just didn't want to run into this again.

I think in the long run ext4 has some promise.

Thanks again big_smile

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools - Herbert Spencer

#11 2009-06-19 08:24:40

Tyriel
Website

Yes I am using an LVM for home, slash (/), tmp, usr and var and normal partitions for boot and swap and it has worked out very well for me.  I am thinking of trying it without an LVM just to test the performance difference.

btw sorry leaving for a weekend away now so if you ask anything else about this i can't answer until Monday.

Board footer