You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-13 19:05:43

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

proper python placement (libraries)

Out of curiosity, where is the proper location to put libraries when making a pkgbuild.

The default for python is /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/, correct?
Well, when python 2.4 comes out, all these PKGBUILDs need updating...

The python installation scripts (packages that come with build.py) can install to a version independent location (defaults to /usr/lib/[LibraryName]/)... should this be done with all python packages?  If so, then /etc/profile.d/ needs updating so python can search for libraries in that location...

Any ideas/comments?

#2 2004-10-14 15:49:05

sarah31
Website

Re: proper python placement (libraries)

often the placement of such files is done automatically in configure scripts. so if you set  --prefix=/usr for example all the files that go to $PREFIX will go to /usr. Often the rest of the configure takes into account the $PREFIX and standard placement of files such as library files so that one does not usually have to do anything.

if you do have to manually set that placement of files then yes i believe that you are correct with your comments. generally python dependent packages would have to be rebuilt upon release of a new version. thankfully the list is much smaller than perl dependent packages.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-10-14 16:00:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmmm sorry, I didn't clarify.
the ifty python install script, build.py, which comes with python packages takes the prefix as an option.  in addition, it also has switches similar to say "install libs as version dependant" and "install version compatable libs" - soem packages, like bittornado installs version dependant by default (to the python2.3 dir) and others, like scons install to /usr/lib/ by default...
I'm just wondering if this is a good idea... some python libs here, others there, a sprinkle in this directory, and one good one over here for taste...

#4 2004-10-14 17:12:11

sarah31
Website

well ideally i would guess it would be best to have the libs all in one place. version dependent is annoying but if python can be structured to not have version dependency then  that would be the most ideal then dependent packages could all go in /usr/lib/python/whatever rather than be spread all over hells half acre. it would also mean that rebuilding all python dependent packages may not be necessary.

whether or not some sort of collating of python libs  is possible would be something to bring up to the devs ... ultimately it saves them time if more order can be introduced.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-10-14 17:57:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I'll submit a feature request, thanks for your input

#6 2004-10-14 18:27:04

sarah31
Website

that would be great. i think if python can be non-version dependent it would be best for all concerned. often perl or python dependent packages care little about version changes with respect to functionality.

in a version independent world if a package did not work then the bug ciould be filed to the source developer (and maybe to the package maintainer because they may be able to patch to make it work if they are knowledgable enough)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer